Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (Discussion)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2021.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It would seem that UAC prompts have been changed from previous versions of Windows to allow the use of the keyboard to shift the focus from No to Yes in Windows 11. I'm not sure when this changed as I have not tried it in a while. In the past it was considered a security issue as it would allow a malicious program to change the selection to allow something to launch with admin privileges without user interaction. I haven't attempted to automate this for testing purposes but I would have to assume it works. Unless someone else already knows why it would not.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

if uac bothers, just disable it with gpo. ;)

4. xxJackxx

I'm just wondering if there is a point to it. I'd have to think someone has exploited this at some point.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

Windows 11 Moment 4 features are now available to all in the latest non-security update
    Oct 26, 2023
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows...ble-to-all-in-the-latest-non-security-update/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows 11 is still totally useless

Time to be jolly. This is my new, periodic review of Windows 11, covering system upgrade and patching after a year pause, update speed and efficiency, post-install privacy baseline, post-install problems, removal of the Store and Store apps using winget, restoration of classic taskbar, context menu and file explorer and removal of ads and other annoyances using Winaero Tweaker, other observations, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-11-still-useless.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

7. Brummelchen

personal impression, not helpful, more useless, go ahead.

no one is forced to use windows 11 at no time, even not in 2030 when win10 for end users has gone eol for 5 years. i would bet this will happen like it happened for windows 7. who cares.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think this sums it up quite nicely. I haven't actually used Win 11 yet, but from what I've seen it's Win 10 but only way more annoying. The good news is that you can get rid of most of these annoyances with third party tools. I do hope that Windows 12 will not become even worse.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Mrkvonic,

excellent article, well said, and I completely agree with you. At first I liked Windows 11, but after a while I realized what it is, and your description sums it up perfectly. Thanks!

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed! Nice review which notes the same things I see on my Windows 11 system. Frankly, I think the reason for Windows 11 is Microsoft decided it was done providing free yearly Feature updates to Windows 10.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...siders-to-add-image-background-edit-features/

14. Brummelchen

thank you all.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft will end the optional non-security updates on Windows 11 22H2 on Feb. 27, 2024
    Nov 14, 2023
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...ty-updates-on-windows-11-22h2-on-feb-27-2024/

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. xxJackxx

I'm assuming this to be a Windows 11 thing... as Microsoft now wants to stick a flashing non-removable "Start Backup" button in the address bar of File Explorer what is the preferred File Explorer replacement that everyone recommends?

18. xxJackxx

Has anyone else had any issues with their system clock running faster after installing Windows 11? I have noticed on multiple devices that I pick up about an extra 30 seconds per week and I seem to have to sync it manually to correct it.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Is it after you restart your machine that it gains ?

20. xxJackxx

At all times. I just figured that my laptop had an inaccurate clock but after putting it on a desktop that had Windows 10 previously and kept accurate time it now runs as fast as the laptop. I've seen this on multiple PCs now, I would have to assume that it is Windows 11 as it is the only common element.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@xxJackxx
    I have been checking for you about the clock issue on my Win 11 machine. I have had no issue at all with the clock gaining time.
    Could it be a location issue? In my time settings I have everything ticked apart from auto location.
    I use windows.time

22. xxJackxx

I have all settings enabled except set time zone automatically. Leaving that on has changed my time zone setting to the wrong one in the past.
    I have mine set to use time.nist.gov but I don't expect that is the issue. When I sync it manually it corrects itself. It doesn't seem to sync automatically very often regardless of settings.
    These are machines that worked fine with Windows 10 so it just seems odd. I've picked up a spare 2 seconds since yesterday. Adds up fast over enough days.
    Thanks for checking in any case.

23. plat

plat Registered Member

I have read that clearing the CMOS will reset those internal clock settings. Also the date. But this was for slower clocks, not faster ones. Have not noticed any issue in Windows 11 vs. 10 myself, though, but admittedly it's not the daily driver.

24. xxJackxx

Desktop Icons... User's Files... If I display this on the desktop it gets corrupted and displays a blank folder with a black box around it. I've seen it on 3 PCs. Deleting the icon cache does not fix it. SFC, DISM, etc., does not fix it. Replacing it with another icon does not fix it. It works for about a day and then gets corrupted again. I don't expect anyone to post a fix, it is likely just broken code in the OS. I wish they would just fix this stuff. Maybe some AI programmers would be a good idea.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.