Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (Discussion)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i understood very well. but the text of cite is not that what you wrote before.
    in short: you wrote that updates are futile from your point of view because you use (maybe a lot of) security software which might prevent impacts from malware.

the point you missed within is that any security software must be aware of attacks or misbehavior - this is depending of programmers skill, and at some point such software need a secure base. no security software makes any sense when the base is vulnerable to kick the security software. and THIS is currently on the run. there exists exploits, either for browsers or the most used OS = windows which are able to bypass a lot of security software because of its vulnerabilities.

maybe you should get out of your bubble.

2. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Using a 4 year old OS is definitely not smart, to put it politely. Keeping updated to latest version is the #1 easiest thing users can do to protect themselves. @Brummelchen is correct, no AV or any of your numerous overkill apps will save you. Thinking otherwise is simply delusional.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Installing patches is important, but not THAT important, at least not on home user PC's. Protecting corporate networks is of course a whole different ball game. It's always a good idea to patch your apps and OS, we all know that, because you basically block the ability of hackers to abuse these known vulnerabilities also known as N-days. And it's true that certain OS vulnerabilities are so severe, that they give the ability to bypass anti-malware tools.

But what's also worth mentioning is that most zero days and even N-days are nowadays reservered for targeted attacks. Besides that, I believe that most home user PC's don't even get infected via browser and OS exploits, which patches are supposed to fix. Instead they get infected via social engineering, in other words, users running files themselves. Anti-malware tools (AV, anti-exploit, behavior blocking, firewall, whitelisting), are supposed to protect against both known and unknown vulnerabilities. With that I mean, they are designed to protect against malware, no matter how malware is delivered, either via user download or via exploit.

4. Rasheed187

You guys still don't get it. In the last 25 years I almost never patched Windows XP, Win 8 and Win 10, with not a single security problem. And you know why? Because it's not that easy to exploit systems from remote, especially if systems are heavily protected. When I did install patches it often gave me problems, it either broke OS or browser functionality, broke anti-malware tools or caused high CPU or disk activity. And I couldn't always simply uninstall these patches, so I had to completely reinstall the Windows OS. So that's when I said, no more! :p

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yeah, nobody but you gets it. :p Seriously though, make an image before an update. In case of failure, you're minutes away from being where you were. You should be doing this anyway. For your own good. You're playing the odds and got lucky so far. And as I've said before, you can do whatever you want and I support your right to do so, but everyone else isn't doing it wrong by making backups and installing updates. There is nobody to convince, we're gonna keep doing it. :D
    Also, Windows 11 has come a long way since its initial release. There is no way I would go back to that without the updates.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

@Rasheed187, of course to each is own, that is correct. As for myself I always wait a week or so, make an image and proceed with update. I never encountered any problem so far, and this is many, many years…:)

7. Rasheed187

To clarify, I'm not trying to convince anybody that they shouldn't patch. I'm just saying that the importance of patching the OS on home user machines is overblown. And I have already explained why, that's what this discussion is about. You guys say it's very important and crucial and dumb not to patch. I'm disputing this, that's all.

And you can't speak of luck when it's already 25 years and counting that I haven't had any security problems on not (fully) patched machines. Using the right protection tools, combined with safe computing practices is the most important to say safe.

Patching can be seen as a bonus, which to me is personally not worth it, because of all of the problems it has caused for me. It's basically the same as with UAC, not worth it because way too annoying and security benefits are minimal. But yes, I should really look into imaging tools nevertheless. :p

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I dare to call myself an update hunter. :) I actively search for updates for any operating system, device, platform, systems, etc. for virtually everything. When my cars go in for service, I instruct them to check for updates to the engine SW, transmission SW and on-board systems. Even with this let's say crazy approach, I've never had a problem that forced me to change my update habits. In fact, I like the updates. Think what you want ... :isay:

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Some people including many IT magazine writers see MS updates as a minor nuisance to endure once a month for the sake of security and the state of the art. I also think some of these writers need to have clickbait articles to attract a large readership. If the monthly updates weren’t really necessary, it goes without saying that MS would save a lot of money by dismissing the team of experts in charge of them.

I have no doubts that as soon as a machine would be infected as a result of not having a necessary patch, it would trigger a chain reaction of legal class suits against MS claiming huge amounts of money for not protecting their operating system. You may not wish to update your machine but patches are legally required no matter what (and they are free otherwise people would quickly choose a competitor).

I never had any problem in the past with XP, Vista, Win8, Win 10, and now Win 11 (5 different machines/brands) although I have been religiously backing up my system before any update, just in case… Like @pegas, I like innovation and change, and I think computers must have the latest technology available including inhouse security.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  10. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :thumb:

11. plat

plat Registered Member

Same here, I look to get updates for anything ASAP. I like not only checking that my OS and resident software are in good shape but also to see what the latest updates do to said software. Most def. not a fan of Microsoft but I currently run the Insiders Beta channel in Windows 11 and it's never been more stable.

12. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

From what I've read and understand numerous times over the years is that one of the most important things you can do to prevent malware is to keep your OS up to date.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  13. XIII

XIII Registered Member

One of them is “advertised” on this forum; every month again…

I wish I could block those posts specifically!

14. xxJackxx

I absolutely agree with the clickbait part... as for the line I quoted, also consider that if you are the IT guy and you get infected by something that would have been prevented with a patch you did not install, you could lose your job.

15. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

Somehow I get the feeling that we're going here a little bit off topic. ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  16. Rasheed187

Like I said, it's not a bad idea to install updates for apps and OS, I'm just saying that the importance is a bit overblown, if you're not up to date, your system won't get magically infected with malware, especially if you're using specialized tools to augment your AV, think of behavior blockers. But it depends a bit, I do think it's important to keep for example Windows Defender up to date, since this plays a role in defending the system.

17. Rasheed187

Well, it all started because of articles like this, sounds like a waste of time to me LOL:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/04/13/windows-11-kb5025239-issues-file-explorer-ssd-bsod

18. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, dredging up yesterday's discussion, installed my Windows 11 drive to update some stuff (Insiders build 22624.1610) and then check WinDirStat and WizTree (wow, WizTree loads super fast--in under 1 sec. on here--but there's not much). No LCU anywhere. Zipp-o. I am convinced I have no LCU folder in Windows 11. But I freely acknowledge that others do have one.

Just again wondering why some have it and some don't--maybe if you nuked it too many times in Windows 10, it just dies on the vine, I dunno. :doubt:

19. xxJackxx

Is anyone else on the Canary channel? I have a VM that is and I am having lots of File Explorer issues. The little pizza icon says I am "previewing the Windows App SDK version of File Explorer". Right click does not work, the icons disappear, and it just seems generally unstable overall. And no, nobody needs to tell me it's unstable because it is the Canary channel. :p I just wondered if anyone else was having the same issue.

20. lucd

lucd Registered Member

Its easy fix though, just go into metro settings, and uninstall update, the next one worked when it was released, imo win11 is slower (than win10) at accessing/copying/creating files, I work with huge files so I noticed

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I can confirm, Win 10 is faster with these operations, even though my new machine is more powerful. As a matter of fact I think Win 10 is better than Win 11, at this very moment.

22. plat

plat Registered Member

I vastly prefer Windows 10 even though I run both. Yup.

If anyone is sorely missing the LSA function in Windows Security because it disappeared after an update, fear not. Microsoft removed the whole thing and is seemingly revamping it or something. Recall there was a bug that said this was "off" despite having it toggled to "on" and restarting.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-protection-from-windows-settings-to-fix-bug/

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks... I've been wondering what was going on with that...

24. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

They removed the setting. But the feature is apparently still there

25. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, someone at MT already correctly pointed this out. But how many of us are so into it that we're gonna go scrounging around in the registry just for this? I have to look up what it actually is, let alone figure out if it's on or off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.