Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (Discussion)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes of course, but thousands of people are experiencing serious problems every year, and I don't think it can all be blamed on ''tweaking'' of Windows. It sometimes also depends on software used and hardware components. And it's not just about OS updating, but even when I sometimes update Vivaldi it can cause serious problems when certain bugs are introduced, and you can't even downgrade Chromium based browsers, it takes quite some time to reinstall and reconfigure. So yes, I should really look into disk imaging tools, but how many ''standard'' home users actually do this?

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I wasn't blaming it on tweaking. Some people are affected by some issues where others may not be. Some are exaggerated to make it sound like they break everyone's PC when it may be a rare exception for a few. I install them all as I do image daily. How many "standard" home users do? All of the ones that don't get laughed at when they ask me if I can get their data back. :eek:

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

win 1909 is 3 and a half year old, experiences changes each half year, so this means 7 changes.
    nevertheless 1909 got EOL in march 2021, 2 years ago, not even close to discussable. even 21H2 (not LTSC or enterprise) gets EOL in june'23 (the known 1.5 year support).

BTW the vulnerability list of 1909 is longer than my arms
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...sion_id-640738/Microsoft-Windows-10-1909.html

170 where a lot of is very critical(red)?

talking about ancient builds are complete waste of time.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Rollback Rx is an unreliable program, unfortunately I bought a license many years ago, I’ve used it for a while, but too many horror stories could not be objectively dismissed. To be honest my system never crashed using it, but the problem was (and still exists as far as I know) that in order to backup Windows one had to do a whole disk backup, not just the Windows OS partition, time consuming and using a large amount of space on the hard drive.

The alternative was to uninstall Rollback RX, create a backup, and re-install it. Time consuming and complicated. As I mentioned, nowadays one can have very quick backups and restores using imaging programs and almost 100% reliability. Macrium looks complex in terms of interface, but it is really very easy in practice.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

White lots of people experience problems, I really do believe they are in the minority. Every week I do clean installs of Windows 10, followed by installing all available updates, on computers that I've just purchased and never experience any issues.

I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper to backup my computer and it works well. Macrium is discontinuing the free version of Reflect, but is providing updates until 2014. After that, you could still use an old version for free if you wanted. While I prefer AOMEI, they are both work well. Sure, most home users don't create backups, but they really should. If you do have issues, it saves a lot of time being able to restore from a working backup, rather than having to reinstall Windows and the apps you use.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Not to mention reconfiguring those programs, like browsers for example.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

“Exactly how many people use Windows in 2023? In January 2022, Microsoft announced having 1.4 billion active devices running on Windows 10 and 11 monthly” Coming from MS the number might be inflated, but even if we accept a more realistic 900 M to1 billion users we are talking about an incredible number of users, statistically it would be impossible not to have problems with some machines, definitely a minority.

8. xxJackxx

I'm willing to believe that number but I also assume that not all of those copies were obtained legally. Lots of piracy in countries with more than a billion people. Probably here too but I assume it is difficult to hold them accountable elsewhere.

9. plat

plat Registered Member

Whoa, re-installing Windows every week? Or re=installing Windows for others every week, roger_m?

That's a lot of wear-and-tear if the former. :isay:

10. xxJackxx

I know it wasn't directed at me but back in the days of Windows 95 I had to reinstall it every weekend and it was broken again by the next weekend. Windows 98 would get about a month. The NT based OSes were much better.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/04/05/m...-in-windows-10-to-promote-microsoft-accounts/

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

For some reason the URL says Win 10 in error.

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Not for myself. I go for years between clean installs on my the main computer I use. But I am regularly buying and selling cheap laptops.

15. xxJackxx

I have to wonder what their intention is here. If the error badge is only for Insider builds it would make sense as you are pretty much required to tie Insider builds to a Microsoft account for testing and feedback. Now if they do this on retail releases, people are going to assume the error here is not finding an alternative OS.

16. Rasheed187

Yet another reason not to install updates LOL.

Thanks, will check out AOMEI Backupper.

I also believe I never ran into problems with Rollback RX, and I actually tested it for months in virtual machines from VMware Workstation, it always worked. Perhaps I should give it a try again, because I think it would be perfect to rollback a system when some Windows update has ruined stuff, not that I'm planning to install many updates, but you never know.

LOL, good one. I really should take making back ups more seriously, but believe it or not, in the last 25 years I simply never had a HDD or SSD fail on me. I did delete data myself by mistake a couple of times. I think cloud services will make it more easy for me to back up data on a weekly or even daily basis.

17. Rasheed187

Thanks for making my point. That's what I'm trying to explain, most if not all of the Win 10 1909 holes are non issues on home user machines. It's not like hackers can magically infect systems from remote by abusing these holes, it's not that simple. So in practice, if users use good security software and practice safe computing habits, you really don't need to patch Win 10 or other versions.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...-640738/opec-1/Microsoft-Windows-10-1909.html

18. xxJackxx

That works if you're not concerned with privacy issues. If you are then compress your files into a passworded RAR file or something and it would make it really hard for someone to get at them. I have things backed up in cloud storage that are encrypted and hopefully worthless to anyone else.

19. Rasheed187

Yes, I will encrypt my most important files when using cloud services. But I mostly have data like music and video files, PDF documents and pictures downloaded from the web, that aren't that important.

20. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

sorry, this is complete BS. no antivirus is able to fix security holes in a software or operating software. any antivirus is only able to prevent attacks as far it is capable to prevent attacks. and any brain.exe is not that fast as a 16 core cpu. very thin ice for you and as far i can read you are fighting on a single position against wind mills.

edit.
    noticing that you are using Vivaldi - Vivaldi for win7/8.1 ends with 5.6 which means chromium based v109.
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/pulling-the-plug-on-expired-operating-systems/
    so vivaldi for windows 7/8.1 contains more than 16 known vulnerabilities
    https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2023/04/stable-channel-update-for-desktop.html
    https://www.ghacks.net/2023/04/05/google-chrome-112-fixes-16-unique-security-issues/
    Unfortunately google did not mention which of those where used ITW

i dont know what pages you surf, probably no pages that may you harm. but be sure that no ublock or antivirus is able to fix such vulnerabilities (see above).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Windows 11 changing Print Screen to open Snipping Tool by default.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...rint-screen-to-open-snipping-tool-by-default/

22. xxJackxx

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

:D:D

24. Rasheed187

Seems like you still don't understand. Anti-malware tools are not meant to fix exploits, they are meant to prevent malware from running or doing damage when the OS and browser are being exploited.

At any given time, there are many zero days in OS and browsers, this means they aren't patched, because they haven't been discovered yet by bug hunters. But they might already be used by hackers who did find them, so no matter if some hole is patched or unpatched, anti-malware tools are meant to protect you.

Plus in the past 25 years it wasn't malware that caused problems on my systems, but it was Windows patches that caused me to lose time, which is in some cases is money. If I can stay malware free without patching, then anyone can do it, with a little bit of training. :p

25. Rasheed187

However, this might entice me to install a Windows update, why didn't they think of this sooner? :rolleyes::p

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-adding-end-task-option-to-taskbar

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.