Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (Discussion)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2021.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Many 10 user's are probably also a tad interested in the Windows 11 security system as well you would think.

Sure it's come a long way by leaps and bounds proving more effective if not also more stable, and will no doubt be a frontline interest if they've added to it's capability AND stability. In my rookie opinion anyhow.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft needs to show Windows 11 is more than just Windows 10.5
    A new version of Windows is coming today
    June 24, 2021
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22548367/microsoft-windows-11-more-than-windows-10-editorial

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Won't be long now and we'll see what they have up their sleeves to tell us about.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Microsoft announces Windows 11: Here is what you need to know
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ces-windows-11-here-is-what-you-need-to-know/

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. guest

guest Guest

Windows 11: The new features coming to Microsoft's next-gen OS
    June 24, 2021
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ew-features-coming-to-microsofts-next-gen-os/
    Windows 11 Start Menu and taskbar
    Unlike Windows 10 or Windows 8, Windows 11 comes with centered Start Menu and taskbar, similar to ChromeOS.
    Windows 11 user interface overhaul and legacy components
    Windows 11 looks a lot like Windows 10 and it is essentially a Windows 10X shell for Windows 10. Microsoft has introduced new colorful icons, rounded corners, and new animations.
    File Explorer
    Windows 11 still comes with the same File Explorer, but it's getting some much-needed improvements. For instance, the Explorer now sports new icons, rounded corners, and dark mode improvements.
    Windows Camera
    A new Camera Settings page is being introduced for advanced users to help them manage the existing cameras, add/remove cameras and configure the default image settings of each one.
    Display Settings
    Microsoft is introducing a new feature that allows users to turn off the content-adaptive brightness control (CABC) feature. This feature is offered on laptops to improve battery performance on PCs, but apparently, it comes at the cost of image quality.
    Battery usage
    Windows 11 finally comes with a redesigned 'Battery' settings page. This features detailed graphs to help anyone understand how their laptop/notebook uses the battery.
    Device Manager
    Device Manager has been updated with rounded corners and new icon, but there are a few minor additions too. The first new feature is a new filter for 'Devices by driver', which is being introduced to help users get a list of devices using a particular driver.
    HDR support for colour managed apps
    Microsoft is enabling support for HDR mode in apps creative and artistic apps that use International Color Consortium (ICC) display color profiles.
    Virtual desktops
    Microsoft is redesigning the virtual desktops screen with some much-needed multitasking improvements. In addition to the new design, Microsoft is introducing three new features - the ability to change the position of each virtual desktop. customize the backgrounds for all your virtual desktops, and support for multi-monitor setup.
    New Clipboard
    Clipboard history manager (Win + V) has been redesigned with rounded corners and a few new features, including a new way to insert emojis and GIFs.
    New DNS over HTTPS (DoH) feature
    DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is a new feature that will allow DNS resolution over encrypted HTTPS connections, and it aims to protect your browsing privacy from outsiders.
    Modern disk management
    As part of the Windows revamp, the Settings app is getting the new Disk Management tool, which aims to simplify the disk management process and manage your disks and volumes without using the legacy tool.
    Improved GPU controls
    Microsoft is giving users greater control over multiple GPUs when running apps in Windows.
    Improved Sound Device Settings

10. guest

guest Guest

Here are the official minimum system requirements for Windows 11
    June 24, 2021
    https://www.neowin.net/news/here-are-the-official-minimum-system-requirements-for-windows-11/
    Windows PC Health Check: https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/d/d/1dd9969b-bc9a-41bc-8455-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

11. xxJackxx

Based on the specs they seem to actually be going with they are going to lock out most folks from installing on existing hardware.

12. guest

guest Guest

Preparing for Insider Preview Builds of Windows 11
    June 24, 2021
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ing-for-insider-preview-builds-of-windows-11/

13. xxJackxx

I'm interpreting from this that the VM I have on the Dev channel will have to be blown out and reinstalled for the Release Preview channel as I doubt it can be downgraded. It looks like they may allow running the Insider builds until the final release but not after. I have no real use for it on Release Preview as it isn't much different than the standard release updates. For software test it seems pointless. So I guess at this point it is either scrap it or see if I get semi functional updates until I don't.

14. Minimalist

15. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

Yep. Looks like only four of our seven machines will qualify. Of the three that won't, I would be surprised if two of them are still alive by the end of the Win 10 lifecycle anyway.

16. xxJackxx

Only 1 of my 3 personal machines will qualify. And none of the 20+ we have at work.

17. Minimalist

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

What about the specs will lock people out? Secure boot?

19. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

TPM, not supported cpu/gpu. anyhow i set up a uBo filter against windows 11 topics, people drivel (is that correct for "sabbern"?) too much about this silly preview.

Although i appreciate reduced pre-installed apps and other crap - its not enough. And Microsoft repeat the same big failures as usual - again they pre-install a browser that only a minority of customers use. Edge is close to firefox, more or less and no gain since it was forced to install.

20. plat

plat Registered Member

Trooper, it seems you need both (TPM and Secure Boot) to have a hassle-free upgrade experience--and Windows needs to be able to recognize both. If you have a relatively recent OEM machine (Dell etc), chances are you have TPM. You can always check via Run/tpm.msc I don't have a TPM so I ordered one from Newegg today. Ironically, I read that TPMs can have security flaws of themselves but it doesn't seem urgent to patch, at least not via ASUS.

Here's something I found on the net about system requirements. Doesn't seem too strenuous but you would need a 64 Bit processor.

Source

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks @plat1098 ! :thumb:

I was going to ask how to find out about TPM. This machines looks to meet the requirements but my dear old lappy that came with Win7 SP0 that I've had since 2010 doesn't. If it is still alive in 2025 I won't have a problem installing Linux on it. :)

Edit: Your 'Source' link doesn't work for me.

22. plat

plat Registered Member

23. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Looks like I won't see Windows 11. No UEFI, no secure boot here. Don't know what TPM is. The laptop came with Windows 7 in 2013 and got setup for the old MBR, legacy boot.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

25. guest

guest Guest

Windows 11 update: TPM 2.0 and PC Health Check confusion
    June 24, 2021
    https://www.slashgear.com/windows-11-tpm-2-0-update-system-requirement-confusion-24679866/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.