Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mick92z, Jul 1, 2017.

1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hi, i bought a used desktop several days ago, everything seemed to be going smoothly , until today. I have spent the last two days removing junk and making sure everything was up to date ( especially windows updates )
    Today, when i wasn,t paying attention something came on the screen about windows installing updates, I walked away and ignored it. About half an hour later it was still struggling to complete whatever it was doing, about another half an hour later I realised there was a problem. I cannot remember what was on the screen but the computer eventually rebooted. When my desktop came up it was constantly flashing, and i could not click on anything.I could see my desktop picture , but it just kept flashing. After several hard reboots using the power button i managed to get to a recovery option and wiped the machine. I know nothing about windows 10 , this is my first machine.
    Could this of been the creators update i've heard about. I am dreading turning it on. I'm wondering if this is why it was for sale.
    Any ideas anyone, thanks in advance

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows 10 is a service. Except for Enterprise LTSB, you get new features every six months. In between you get security and bug fixes. There is no longer a Windows version. Its continually refreshed.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Every Windows 10 update is an adventure, unpredictable things tend to happen. In this case, I would guess, that 10 has installed a wrong GPU driver.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

screwed to hard - trashed your windows - start from scratch!
    if it is numbered 1703 and higher (CU) - yes. any other is running fine and MS has rolled out CU to around 35% of all users.
    there is trouble with CU. my ltsb is running fine.

5. mick92z

Thanks for the replies everyone, i must say i am finding windows 10 a bit of an unpleasant experience. For daily surfing my chromebook is amazing and so easy. I'm still not sure what happened today, maybe the update thing was a coincidence, everything went to bits after that, however after reinstalling everything including many reboots, I am pointing my finger at the VGA port or lead. Several reboots resulted in black screens, when i reinserted the lead the screen came back. This might explain the flashing desktop. I will buy a new lead soon.
    Thanks again

6. NormanF

Bad hardware or badly coded hardware drivers can lead to BSODs or an unstable system.

7. boredog

boredog Registered Member

What is the make and model of this used desktop?

8. mick92z

hp pavilion 550-107na

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It seems to be a hardware issue. If the problem still occurs in Safe mode then I'd say definitely hardware.

11. mick92z

Things have taken a turn for the worst today. When booting up the screen remained black for 1 and half minutes before the desktop appeared and another 40 seconds to load the desktop. I reinstalled windows again, only to be stuck in a loop between two screens. The first asking me choose country/keyboard etc and another saying theres a problem thats preventing us from getting your pc ready, an update will solve this. I've tried every F key when booting. It says no system restore, no safe mode , recovery/reset not possible.I have also posted on the hp forum. I personally can go no further with my limited knowledge. I am considering taking it to a shop.i think the person who sold me this knew it was defective. i can't understand why it took 2/3 days to crash.

12. NormanF

Take it to a shop. Hardware may need to be fixed/replaced. It sounds like its not an issue with Windows.

13. guest

guest Guest

If you want to avoid issues, only do clean install and before starting the install , download all the needed drivers.

14. mick92z

I downloaded windows 10 iso and HP drivers,and reinstalled. Everything seems to have gone well ( too well ) pc is running well and back to booting in about 20 seconds. Windows version is 1703, which i believe includes the creators update. I am hoping this whole mess was caused by the update that seemed to start all this and not a hardware issue. Time will tell. Thanks for all help and advice

15. NormanF

I don't run rolling version Windows 10. An update can break things and having new features isn't a priority.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.