Windows 10 suddenly cannot see Windows XP on local network

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zmechys, Oct 16, 2018.

1. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I cannot exactly pinpoint what caused it - maybe it's related to the most recent Windows 10 update or maybe it was caused by BitDefender's 10/16/2018 update, but my Windows 10 computer suddenly cannot see/find shared folders on the local network. The shared folders are on Windows XP computers.
    I've tried everything recommended from the Internet to no avail. My Win10 computer today cannot see other WinXP computers on the same local network.
    Yesterday, I've had NO problem whatsoever.

Here is an interesting thing.
    I've downloaded "SoftPerfect Network Scanner" and after running it, I was able to easily see those Windows XP computers. What's more, I've mapped those shared folders and now I can access those folders, but...
    All my MS Access database links don't work, and, therefore, I still cannot properly use my linked Databases.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you in advanced.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ofc it cannot see any older - you need smb v1 enabled. but - smb v1 is high vulnerable and thus windows 10 disables it by default and after period not used.
    not sure to put a network on such high risk. smb v1 finally will disappear, not only this but because of smb v2 and the current is smb v3.

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Thank you for your help.
    I've enable that smb1 and now I can see my older computers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.