Windows 10 Privacy Guide

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by imuade, Nov 17, 2017.

1. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I think it should, you should be asked for what you would like to do (clean install or keep your settings).
    I'm not sure because when I upgraded to the Creators Update I used the Update Assistant and it placed back all the default apps I removed; but when I upgraded to the Fall Creators Update I waited for Windows Update to show it up and it didn't place back the default apps.
    By the way, both times my settings weren't changed.

2. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

If its worth it to you, get a good image of your system drive and do some testing.

3. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I did it when I upgraded to FCU and since then my pc has run smoothly, with much fewer unneded processes running.
    I'll do it again after upgrading to SCU :thumb:

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I never had a problem upgrading offline from USB. I am looking forward to this upgrade. 1803 is supposed to install in the background, so the user can work as usually and then the restart should take only ~10 min. Not that clean install would take much longer, it took me 15 mins to install, from booting USB to loading desktop and I have HDD, I can imagine, that it is even faster on SSD.

Surprisingly, not really. I spent a week redoing my tweaks from 1703 to 1709, but 1803 almost has not changed a thing. I guess they had have their hands full. RTM is still messy.

5. guest

guest Guest

im on 1803 too, indeed no much changes.

6. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

As I read everyones comments about disabling vs deleting a service my mind drifts to the security of Linux. I am so happy I left the world of Microsoft. As far as deleting a service goes I have only one comment. Deleting can work if you do sufficient homework first.

7. RioHN

RioHN Registered Member

I'm on windows 7 and operate in a similar fashion with a strict whitelist of allowed outbound processes. Are there any downsides to doing this on windows 10 you've ran into? Also how do you go about updating? Do updates land as one big file or do you need to download some (for instance .net updates) seperately?

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not really, though sometimes IPs change, so I have to allow everything to find out the proper rules with TCP UDP Watch, the same for new software.

Updating does not work with my setup since 1803, I only use WU to check for updates, I download and install updates manually. At least, I do not have to allow svchost anymore. :)

Windows Update downloads only, what is needed. Lets say there is 800MB update, it will download only 350MB, if you have previous updates installed.

9. RioHN

RioHN Registered Member

Thanks.
    I was hoping I could just download one large rollup update once/twice a month that when ran would bring the system up to date, regardless of what updates already reside on the system. I need to go away and research how windows 10 updates work :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.