Windows 10 Migration to NMVe SSD

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by switch284, Nov 10, 2015.

1. switch284

switch284 Registered Member

Paragon Disk Manager copied Windows 10 partition to my new Samsung 950 pro SSD
    I cannot get computer to boot from this drive
    I have AsRock X99 Extreme4 mainboard with latest uEFI BIOS
    AS Rock themselves could not help, they only suggested installing windows 10 new
    Upgrading from Windows 7 cannot be done on NVMe devices. While there is a Hotfix to enable NVMe in windows 7 after it is installed it is not a workable solution to install Win 7 on an NVMe device

2. Dick99999

Dick99999 Registered Member

I just upgraded my Dell XPS 15, that had a WD 1TB rotating drive, to a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 750 GB SSD. My Dell also has UEFI and secure boot. I also could not boot after replacing the rotating drive by the SSD. An error alike 'no boot device found'.

- I managed to produce a Paragon WinPE recovery media builder USB stick with windows 10 running, after reinstalling the original rotating disk.
    - I changed the rotating disk for the prepared Samsung SSD that would not boot, and inserted the USB stick.
    - Booted that recovery USB stick by switching off UEFI (F2 while booting) and used legacy BIOS mode to boot that USB stick.
    - After that, I don't exactly remember, but I let those utilities change the boot parameters of the Samsung. I think I used 'Correct the boot config' and 'Correcting EFI parameters'.
    - Switched off the laptop and removed the USB stick
    - Then switched off BIOS mode (F2 while booting) and switched on UEFI and secure boot.
    - Booted form the SSD
    It worked and I am using the Samsung SSD for a few days now. My laptop was already fast, but it is really fast now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015