Windows 10 Issues, Problems & solutions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 1, 2015.

1. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm not sure if I want them merging Settings with the Control Panel. From what I've seen of Settings, it seems to be geared towards "normal" users who don't have administrative privileges; there is almost nothing there that even triggers a UAC prompt. I think I mentioned earlier that the setting to change the network type (Public or Private) is completely hidden when in a standard user account, and it seems the only way to do it graphically is to log in as an admin (I found a way to do it in Powershell though). There's a link to Device Manager in Settings, but you cannot right-click on it from there or from a search in the Start Menu to run it as an admin; the only place I've seen where it works is in Control Panel.

Maybe they should just leave the standard user settings to Settings and the administrative stuff to Control Panel. I'm concerned that as they move more controls into Settings, they may hide more of them from standard users and disallow running certain things as an administrator. I don't want to go back to the days when you had to log into the admin account to make system changes.

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Could this be even remotely possible? He alleges that Microsoft changed WU settings to update Office which lead to W10 downloading ....
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1293437

5. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Downloading GWX Control Panel 1.3.0.0
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
    GWX Control Panel will help to rid your system tray of the 'Get Windows 10' notification from continually popping up.

It can also prevent unintentional Windows 10 upgrades from occurring via Windows Update. GWX Control Panel really works, is safe and easy to use, and gives you the option to re-enable the icon and upgrade notifications if you're ever ready to move forward with Windows 10.

6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Windows Store: apps pending/does not download.

W10 build 10240.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    have you noticed the windows 10 i/o activity ?

i have superprefetch off and other service off but the i/o activity is impressive compared to w7 or w8

just try to book ,for example open eset (nod32 ) protection statistic -> and check the number of scanner files
    just boot w10 and leave it without running programs , i left for 30 minutes i got impressive i/o
    have you noticed the same behavior ?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I am not able to download any updates. Not able to install any store apps. Not able to update apps. Getting error code 0x8024401c.

any help?

Thanks

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Have you tried running:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

You could also try running all commands from my bat: http://pastebin.com/bwCnbKYN

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can you tell me what these commands will do?

Thanks

11. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

The whole Settings/Control Panel thing is the most disjointed kludge I think I've ever seen. To do simple tasks, it actually bounces between two completely different interfaces. They really need to pick one and make it a good one. They can supposedly unify your desktop, phone, and Xbox but can't get one unified Control Panel. UI by Escher. Removing things...putting them back...this double-mindedness doesn't inspire confidence.

12. TairikuOkami

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, i did two things.
    1. There was an update failing to download. I downloaded and installed it manually.
    2. I run both of these commands as well.

Not sure which one of these two actions worked but store is working now. Thanks

BTW seems windows store and metro apps are crap compared to apple n android. Before upgrade to win 10, even on windows 8.1 all of metro apps suddenly stopped working. They will launch and crash. Even on win 10, metro apps are poorly designed. Seems MS itself is confused and is not clear in its strategy and future plan.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think I was mistaken. A strange issue. Store doesn,t work on wifi but it works if I tegether to my 3G phone, even though eifi is faster. I think this was the real issue since before. Somehow I used tethering yesterday and thought issue i fixed but I was wrong.

I guess some how windows thinks I am using some proxy( I am not). I read on net similar error with proxy use.

15. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I've read where W10 was more secure than the previous versions of Windows. I just seen a video where UAC bypass script couldn't delete system files when UAC was set to never notify. What do you think of this?

16. TairikuOkami

UAC is enabled even when it is set to Never Notify, when completely disabled via registry/policy, Store apps do not work.

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Question regarding Optional Updates on W10 - I am helping a friend who just installed W10 over a W7 Home Edition and he tells me that there are no optional updates listed. I have only helped others with W10 Pro, so I am a bit lost on this. I found a link http://www.ophtek.com/windows-10-to-scrap-optional-updates/ but it is a bit old. Is it true that there should be no optional updates listed on the Home Edition? I am helping this guy over the phone, so I am relying on what he tells me. If anyone has W10 Home installed, can you confirm one way or the other for me.

Edit: He just called back and told me he has Pro, not Home. So now I am totally confused. I do not have W10 running right now so I can not check. Anyone having problems with W10 Pro Optional Updates not listed?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have Win 10 Home and have never seen anything Optional. I suspect that MS has done away with that category altogether, since everything is more or less forced now. I don't know for sure, just a guess...

19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for the reply. My friend called back and said he had Pro. Is it the same on Pro? I can not check it myself as I do not have W10 installed right now.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not quite. In pro you can defer reboots but there is no choice about what updates. Smartest thing would be going back to 7 Pro

21. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

You can disable Windows Update driver updates in the home version; that is all.

22. TairikuOkami

When you set updates to Notify, you can use Windows tool to choose, which updates, you do not want to install, not just drivers.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yeah, I forgot about. They sure make it easy don't they

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

25. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for the advise and links. I drove over to his house today and got this sorted out for him. MS makes a 30 second fix an absolute marathon in W10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.