Windows 10 fresh install - What gives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 24, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

@reasonablePrivacy about 4 , yes you are right, was on WinXP x64, i admit i never cared about it until Win8 :p

2. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

- Hybrid boot - irrelevant, because you don't spend time using the boot, you use the desktop.
    - Wu updates in win10 are slow and horrible, take hours and multiple reboots versus single reboot in win7.
    - Security is overrated as usual, and emet gives you exactly the same security.
    - Nothing that ordinary users care about or can notice.
    - Nothing significant that enhances productivity or functionality - even managing exploits takes touch-like click interface compared to emet's simple matrix where you could apply all mitigations to all listed apps in 10 seconds, whereas exploit mitigation requires accessing each app individually or importing xml through powershell.
    - Etc etc etc

Mrk

4. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

There's also AMSI which antiviruses can take advantage of in Windows 10.

Also UAC seems to have improved. Check the video "Windows 10 latest build vs Cerber Ransomware" from The PC Security Channel.

5. guest

guest Guest

i like the boot to be fast. i'm sure you won't like to wait 3mn after turning the key of your car...you get the idea.

maybe on your end, i never get issues with Windows Updates since Win8, never saw much multiple reboots even for cumulative updates.
    However on Win7 i had the eternal loop, if i didn't check my HDD led , i would wait forever.

On Linux surely, on Windows, you are dead wrong. Since Win8 (and Windows Defender as built-in AV), as i saw far less customers or friends coming for issues related to malware.

i work faster with Win10 start menu, all my shortcuts arranged by type, etc... no need launchers like on Win7 and far less scrolling.
    EMET needs to be installed, ordinary users would never heard of it and won't have a basic anti-exploit if it wasn't for Exploit Guard.

We are talking about OS out of the box, not tweaked or with added software.

Anyway, Different people, different needs, different usage.

6. Mrkvonic

I don't know where your experience comes from but:

Fast boot in all windows versions. The hybrid thing is irrelevant. No 3min boots - you have a problem.

I don't have any issues with WU - you mentioned loops and whatnot - it's simple timing. If you tell me an 1084 update didn't take hours and 4 reboots, then you are not telling the truth, because I timed it, and wrote an article about, and this is true for all Win10 updates. And since Win10 came out, updates take longer - don't believe me, believe some heavy guns in this field:

Windows 10 Won’t Waste Your Time With Unexpected Updates Anymore
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...10-wont-waste-time-unexpected-updates-anymore

Win xp-8 - updates are no more than 20 min plus single reboot, win10 hours + more than one reboot for cummulative updates.

Security is overrated for all systems, including windows. It's the biggest hype in the known universe (including dark matter and white holes).

You mentioned all these security features, not me. I responded to your *guard list.

It's got nothing to do with different people and needs. From a technical perspective, win10 has no SIGNIFICANT (I used that word) improvements. Some, yes. Anything revolutionary? No. But then, there's not been any real revolution in the desktop work since around 2010 or so, and that includes all desktops and operating systems.

Mrk

7. guest

guest Guest

"Significant" is a subjective notion, and I mentioned improvement not revolutionary things.
    Security isn't overrated, go tell that to businesses or people hit by ransomeware, who lost precious data, or bank accounts emptied because of keyloggers.
    At least with Win10, you have a basic layered protection, on win7, if you are not a bit techie, you are done.

Average Joe by definition doesn't know safe habits nor install and properly setup a security solution, so fail-safe must be put in place in the OS, it is what MS did with Win10 , sure not the most efficient way, but it still safer than barebone win7 and the laughable anti-spyware it has.

The only thing I update via wu are the cumulative updates, I never update builds via wu, I clean install. Builds are like new OS, I don't like keep traces of the previous builds, like old drivers, old software leftovers, etc...

About the loop, clean install win7 and try update it, you may encounter the update freeze , there is a huge number of posts about it, just Google it.
    I don't have this with win10.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2018
  8. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Not all OS features are directly aimed at end users, but they can enable 3rd party developers to do things that end users care about. Think of DirectX. It is not directly useful for end users, but new versions enable developers to create more visually impressive games that gamers want and were impossible to create 4 years ago.
    It is especially true when talking about OS features. Microsoft OS is aimed at 3rd party developers. They create programs. Well, it also has a GUI and a few controllable settings as well, but it is a minority of its features.

9. guest

guest Guest

@reasonablePrivacy I made a mistake, it was not patchguard I wanted to mention but secureboot

10. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou Registered Member

It doesn't count because Microsoft did that on purpose trying to push as many users as possible to Windows 10 where the money are.

Install manually
    windows6.1-kb3102810-x64.msu
    windows6.1-kb3177467-x64.msu
    and the Windows Update will work as expected.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Fast startup was introduced in windows 8 and I really hate the feature. It causes so many issues such as hardware disappearing and the worst issue is in a corporate network it can prevent group policy and antivirus updates from updating.
    I always recommend to turn it off and just get an ssd which is a better solution.

SMB 1 is such an old technology and Microsoft have been trying for years to stop the use of it wherever possible due to the security issues. the only reason for SMB 1 to be used in is for legacy applications in a business environment. Home users should not be using SMB1.

I haven't known windows 10 to require multiple reboots.

Ever since vista I have moved in to the next windows as soon as it comes out due to the cheap license for windows 7/ 8 when they first came out and of course free upgrade to windows 10.

I never liked the windows 8 interface but the changes with 8.1 made it a bit more user friendly.

I have used windows 10 since launch and the only real issue I had was a patch released which ruined FPS in games but since that was fixed it has been a generally pleasant experience.

I do promptly remove some of the store apps when doing a fresh install such as candy crush etc..

Due to the 2 releases of windows 10 per year a fresh install of windows 10 is very quick and I use this as an opportunity once a year to only install the apps I actually use.

I have also found windows versions to get faster since vista.

Windows xp required 2 service packs in order to become fully stable.

Vista required 1.

Windows 8 was stable from day one and so was 10.

I feel the above shows progress.

12. Mrkvonic

@lodore, disable smb1 on Win7, see what happens. Fun exercise.
    Mrk

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No one bellyached more than this user as well as the whole massive flood of other forums and net peeps who screamed to high heaven when they split the desktop to add Store & Tiles (among other items). It was a bitter pill to take BUT as mentioned it did iron itself out eventually. In fact so much so that 10 is really made it's debut and subsequent updates rather boring to the point where I came back home to 8.1 and never been happier. On the lowest of the low hardware 8.1 sings and dances on a scale not even 10 IMO can match. On higher end improved hardware, yes, 10 likely moves like a train, or maybe not. Will folks ever realize solid performance improvements and move on with 10 when faced with countless updates and fixes that never seem to end? This user is settled into 8.1 and also sport (2) Windows 10 systems but it comes down (as always) to user preference. And this one prefers not to fall once again into the Microsoft 10 Clumsy trap. Took long enough to fine tune 8.1 :cool:

14. lofac

lofac Registered Member

I agree with everything you said, but this one hits on point for many many people, especially those home users around security forums.
    You can see them having "multiple security layers" using an AV, firewall, HIPS etc etc.. but then they spend most of their time online on youtube and facebook lol.

15. guest

guest Guest

It was before win8 even existed.
    Yes I know this workaround, but the fact that you need to install it manually, just prove my point. For us, it is OK we coukd figure it out, a beginner however...

I don't see the relation, security isn't privacy. There is no security risks going on Facebook or YouTube. Once you have a solid security setup, you can go wherever you want without much problems.

16. lofac

lofac Registered Member

I didn't mean the privacy part of those, my bad.
    I meant to say that they basically have no exposure or very little risk of getting infected because all they do is doing very basic browsing to the few popular sites.

17. guest

guest Guest

OK I see, Taking security forum population isn't a good idea haha, most of us could be on naked WinXP and never get infected. for me, and many here, I guess it is more a hobby than real needs. Linux is boring :D

18. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I like a lot about Windows 10, but I'm disappointed that MS since after Win 7 removed AppLocker from all versions except enterprise licenses and deprecated triggering messages or sending emails on user-configured Task Scheduler tasks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I find Win 10 fast even with Fast Startup disabled. (One of the first things I do)

One thing that bugs me about Win OS's is why file extensions are not shown by default (I change that after install too)

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Unless their people feel like it looks better just to show first names only-with accompanying icon image, I also never got it why they omit the extensions. Each and every file has an extension of some sort mostly and the user can better identify what type of a file they see with the entire name+extension convention which simply and visibly identifies it.

21. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Honestly, since 98, what is changed for final user in Windows ? Developers will say that APIs or a lot of other thing are changed, but for the user Windows is just windows, and folders and files. So I don't see all this news from 2000 or XP to 10..... And Microsoft always slights the GUI: Gnome and KDE are very configurable and customizable, Windows, except the Menu, is always the same.

22. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Stability, reliability? I had 98 SE and it crashed almost every day. Not to mention that after crash there was ScanDisk, which took long time to complete repair of filesystem.
    Multicore cpu support?

I really don't think it is right question about OS. OS is about features that are hidden from regular end users. This can be good question for 3rd party developers creating programs for Windows or other OS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.