Windows 10 Firewall Control (Sphinx-Soft) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brummelchen, Feb 14, 2015.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I notice after installing v8.x..., Windows Defender firewall was still enabled, even after re-boot. Isn't it supposed to be disabled?

EDIT

it looks like Sphinx works whether the Windows Defender firewall is enabled or disabled, but if it's disabled, I get Windows Security warning that firewall is not active. If I do enable it, I have to allow all outbound by default, otherwise my built-in Defender rules seem to take precedence over those of Sphinx.

Furthermore, the point I made a few years ago - that some people persisted in disputing - in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-discussion-thread.373420/page-3#post-2566851 is correct.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i had sphinx installed on my win10 ltsb in the beginning - no defender. on another computer ltsb (no defender again) and pro are running but not sphinx.
    running sphinx on win8 do not register either as a firewall, i think is supposed not to be registered but i had no issues on win10 with both firewalls. so i need to test sphinx on my pro 1809 where defender and firewall is active.

pointing to my answer - i think i spoke about the preset rules for system apps. the windows firewall can be granular but the way to it is not easy thats why i prefer sphinx and it zones and default/deny rules and no breakout in normal mode.

3. wat0114

I agree, it's time consuming and painstaking to set up Win Defender manually, even though it can be done. I like Sphinx so far, and if no further issues, I'll purchase the Plus version.

Also the problem with Defender is that program paths for rules will not accept wild cards. Some programs have rather "messy" paths, and these paths will often change when the program updates, so that just adds to the misery of having to modify those rules.

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@wat0114,
    I use the plus version (8.4.0.60). Their release candidates are totally stable.
    I turn off Windows firewall client, and yes I do get nags.
    Basically, any block rule takes precedence.
    Allow rules - here, whoever is first will rule, so IMO creates confusion.
    Sphinx can definitely run with it on, but what's the point(unless one likes to maintain two sets of rules)?
    WFPlatform continues to run, of course.

5. wat0114

Thank you for your feedback, @act8192! I will then disable the win defender fw client. Btw, I ended up purchasing the Plus version of Sphinx (I had allowed all outbound by default and I got alerts from Sphinx). I'm very impressed with it, although it's a fairly steep learning curve on how all the rules and zones work, I think I've got a pretty good handle on things now.

6. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

A nice review comparing WFC (binisoft) to WFC10
    https://chefkochblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/06/windows-10-firewall-control-review/

7. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I think this review compares apples with carrots. W10FC from Sphinx uses Windows Filtering Platform for filtering purposes and has its own firewall rules, while WFC from Binisoft is just a front-end for Windows Firewall itself. WFC does not do any packet filtering at all. The feature comparison should be made between W10FC from Sphinx and WFwAS (Windows Firewall with Advanced Security) which is Microsoft own implementation of a firewall based on Windows Filtering Platform.

8. Brummelchen

WFP ist the "hotline" for events. anyhow i prefer programs like W10FC and this is not because my first attempts with WFC caused the complete desaster ^^
    (Outpost, Atguard, LnS, Jetico,...)

about the blog - this is what i NOT like
    well - he is using a very outdated version that way...
    purchase has benefit :p

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The reason why I like WFC is because of its simplicity. If you need advanced firewall features than other solutions are better, but alexandrud already explained why.

10. Circuit

The review said it all. Really did not need his explanation or yours.:)

11. max2

max2 Registered Member

Is there any tutorial anywhere to learn to use this firewall? It seems confusing sorry or should I stick with WFC ?

12. wat0114

Everything is on the website here:

-http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/using.html

Look in the left hand column and start at "Manual", then work your way down the column for the rest of the documentation.

One important thing, amongst others, to remember is that in the firewall "Zones" it processes the individual rules in order from bottom to top (increased priority -> decreased priority).

13. act8192

Help is also on the right-click menu of the Sphinx taskbar icon, but it's a bit less convenient to use unless you're searching.

14. act8192

Right. Thanks for emphasizing this.
    Microsoft's description of WFP and firewalls, a picture worth looking at
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...dows-filtering-platform-architecture-overview

15. act8192

Remember, zones are a repository. When you use a zone for an application it makes a copy. When you edit said copy, edits apply just to that application and zones remain intact. Unless you make your own zone copies for further use. When I edit a set of rules for a program for which I've selected a reasonable zone, I prefix the name with something to tell me that it's an edited version of what was in the repository. Useful for further updates and my maintenance.

You probably got all of it figured out by now, but if not, or for other people, I'm sharing my list of various hints that were useful to me.

A neat writeup about, then, new v8 by Noel Carboni was here
    https://www.askwoody.com/2016/sphinx-windows-firewall-control/
    There have been changes since, changelog is just below the downloads list
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html

Few memorable threads (ignore all that tapatalk nuisance, the forum is great):
    Multiple firewalls - post 2 point 1b
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vis...with-security-suites-wfp-dependency-t625.html
    Windows firewall and sphinx - post 2
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/wfc10-windows-firewall-on-windows-10-t475.html

Very tight ruleset making via right click on event line
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/manage-access-for-in-events-log-t639.html
    Some details about the Domains tab
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/learning-about-domain-by-name-rules-t549.html

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To clarify, it wasn't really directed to you personally and I didn't even read most of the review. I just wanted to say that WFC is for people who want to keep things simple.

17. Circuit

Cool ;)

18. wat0114

Thanks act8192. Yeah it took some days to figure out the zones being repositories, and especially the ability to create "Manage access for the remote..." rules from event entries. I especially like this latter feature for creating granular program rules on-the-fly.

19. Less

Less Registered Member

any coupon code available?

20. Brummelchen

i dont know any while using.

21. wat0114

I don't know of one either, but imho it's an excellent deal for an excellent firewall even without a code.

22. Circuit

I like the Domain Protection, added *google.com* Priority: Above apps Low.
    Can see it blocking the monster on a lot of sites. Very nice!
    Don't need google.

23. Brummelchen

you should block it in your browser, thats more efficient. in fact you dont need to block google, more google-analytics or similar. blocking google makes you dont use captachas if needed, locked out. anyhow i cannot confirm that google is so much involved as would like to tell us.

24. Circuit

How do you do that (block in browser firefox)?

25. wat0114

What I've done is block using wildcards. For example:

Code:
    *.rubiconproject.*
    this will block domains with "rubiconproject" in the string such as "fastlane.rubiconproject.com"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.