Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Per that article...

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Oh, didn't see that. Thanks... :)

4. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Yes, we've both seen that. Anyhow, I'm done playing with it as it still is, after all, a work in progress needing a lot of work. Kudos to all those running the TP and helping to get the work done. For me, I've found that under the hood it's still... NT6. (Yes, a simplification of a nonetheless legitimate study.)

I no longer have interest in 10 until my next desktop in late 2016 by which time there'll be no choice in the matter. If I have to refresh this system, it'll be Win7 (which is what I re-installed on my test-rig). That, of course, assumes that a chip (or two or three) doesn't release all its smoke in the meantime. :gack:

However, I did find that Bitdefender's Windows 8 Security is a quantum leap ahead of IS 2015 in user friendliness - a much easier UI with all the settings laid out logically, unlike the helter-skelter mess of IS. And none of the tools and useless bloat. Functionally, the core processes, libraries and drivers are for all intents and purposes identical. And it whacked everything I opened in phishtank, malc0de and VX Vault.

I tried to install Win8Sec in Win7. Big no no popup. :( Those rapscallions!

Cheers.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ FOXP2 (and others)

Can you perhaps check if it's possible to change tool-tip colors on Win 10?

6. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

@ Rasheed187
    Sorry, I'm not running W10 anymore; see my post #354.

I forgot to mention there that the final straw was when the BitDefender AVC HC System Device went "yellow-!" in Device Manger.

I didn't know the tooltip color could be changed. I thought the tool-tip color was just fine. I'm thinking of having all my undershorts dyed that color.

Have fun.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows 10 is running is very well for me now, after having some issues a few days ago. Memory usage was too high for my liking, but has dropped quite a bit now. Maybe this was due to an update installed. I've got Windows Update disabled as the Windows Update service was constantly running and using CPU time. Also, I'm running no antivirus at the moment.

Currently with TheWorld browser running with 20 tabs open (less than I usually have open), memory usage is at just 56% out of my 3GB, and disk usage is staying at around 0 to 1 percent. When I was having issues with high memory usage, I switched to Firefox. But, now I can use the WorldAgain without memory usage being excessive.

I will enable Windows Update from time to time so I can install updates, but my computer is running better with it disabled.

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wow, that is great news. I wonder if Chocolatey will also get it's database updated by Microsoft (though I bet they're about to be consumed). Might actually use it myself, if not for the adware problem on Windows.

10. Rasheed187

This has been a standard feature since Win XP, but I think the developers forgot about it in Win 8, quite embarrassing if you ask me.

Can you perhaps check out post #35?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10-announced.368734/page-15#post-2440758

11. ufakai75

ufakai75 Registered Member

I agree.

12. Rasheed187

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have no idea how to change the toolip colour.

14. Rasheed187

15. anon

anon Registered Member

16. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

17. Rasheed187

Holy crap, I have tested IE 11 on Win 8, and I'm amazed by the speed, it outperforms Opera 12 and Firefox, WITHOUT any script-blockers. Just imagine how fast it would be with extensions like NoScript and Ghostery.

Of course usability is a big problem, and sadly enough Maxthon and Avant (who use the Trident engine) have also gone downhill. But nice to see that the IE/Trident developers definitively got some skills.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I can't speak for Avant, but I haven't noticed any downhill motion with Maxthon, if anything it is going uphill and approaching escape velocity with an ever increasing rapidity. It is the best browser I have ever used on Android. Unfortunately, it's unusable rubbish on Ubuntu. :confused:

19. Rasheed187

@ Daveski17

As a geek I'm extremely sensitive about certain details, and the new GUI is getting my nerves. So that's what I mean with "downhill", instead of improving stuff they tried to do it differently. If they bring back the standard GUI and IE 12 will get extensions support, it might become a serious option for me again. Of course it should also stop with the "phoning home" stuff. BTW, I still don't see any options to put tabs on bottom.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Sorry, no time to read all the posts here :( , which is the last news about the date of Windows 10 release ? I would like to change my pc, but I prefer to wait for 10. (then I'll have to wait a bit to see 10's compatibility with my security softwares... :( )

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There isn't a definite date yet, but Microsoft is talking about 3rd quarter 2015.

23. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thank you ! So I knew, but I hoped some good new.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

25. DX2

DX2 Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.