Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I was using Win 10 already.

With Win 10 you have to keep your OS updated, you don't really get any choice.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thansk
    i will go with iso , before i will make an image
    after the update , can get rid of the w10 backup with disk cleaner?

3. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

This update isn't being offered to me via Windows Update yet.

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Here too (Central Europe).

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows was not able to find a suitable driver. I ran Driver Talent (formerly Drive The Life) and it found a display driver, but it wouldn't install, leaving the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver installed. Next, I tried Driver Toolkit. It found a really old driver from 2007, which installed and seems to be working fine.

6. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Be prepared....

Windows 10 comes with even more pre-installed apps and re-installs the ones have deleted earlier. Some privacy tweeks may need to looked over as well. Just spent the last 30 minutes cleaning it up.

Other than that it feels much more responsive and the memory usage has dropped a bit.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have not upgraded yet and have 30 Win apps. What is your number after the upgrade?

8. pling_man

I gave up waiting for windows update to roll this out and updated using the media creation tool.

Had a few issue. I connect to my network using a network cable so had my laptop in "Flight" mode. However, with this I see a "plane" icon instead of my "wired connection" icon in the system tray. I had to turn flight mode off, then separately turn off the wi-fi and blue tooth devices and reboot.

Also windows forgot my desktop wallpaper, which I had to reset.

Now my blood pressure is going up as Windows 10 is re-installing the Apps I had previously removed in the background (Solitaire for example has come back). I had 23 Apps before the update, now I have 35, Grrr.)

9. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

To be honest I have not counted but there were definitely a few more. I did notice Sway, another messaging app with phone calls and sms, as well as another skype app.

If your interested in removing them, download Win10Privacy, extract into a folder, download PsExec from sysinternals and place it into that folder. Run Win10Privacy and go to last two tabs to uninstall userapps as well as hard coded system apps like feedback, support/contact and many more.

regards.

10. roger_m

@pling_man If you install IObit Uninstaller you will be able to uninstall in apps you don't want in one go. You need to go Win Manager to do this, and from there you can select all the apps you want to remove, then click on Uninstall.

11. pling_man

Thanks for the tip. I will uninstall soon.

Meanwhile, I found that the update has shrunk my C: partition a little bit and expanded the recovery partition.

I also have a Windows.old and a folder ESD in my C: drive. I am not sure what the ESD is?

12. roger_m

13. pling_man

How come when I uninstall an app "Get Skype" the app just comes back a few seconds later?

I have tried removing it with from "Settings" and using "IOBit Uninstaller" but it won't go away.

14. roger_m

The new build of Windows 10 is working very well on the 8 year old Dell Vostro I installed it on. While the processor is fairly slow - a Turion 64 X2 TL-60, and there's only 2.62GB of 3GB of RAM usable, performance is very good. It's quite impressive considering it's an 8 year old laptop and the AMD CPU it uses was released over 9 years ago. With Tencent PC Manager running in the background, and not much else, RAM usage is at just 36% percent.

I installed PC Manager as it is much lighter (in my experience) than Windows Defender. With Windows Defender running, it was using 40% CPU or more shortly after Windows loaded.

15. roger_m

I'm not too sure on that, and a quick Google search didn't provide any help.

16. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Got the same error as well.
    Tried again a few hours later while disabling my antivirus, and it succeeded.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just wanted to confirm that you will not lose your installed programs if you run the Setup.exe from the desktop; you will be given the option to "keep everything" (or words to that effect). If you burn the ISO to bootable media don't boot it.

18. pling_man

I have no idea. But after waiting for a while I was able to uninstall each app using "Settings" and they have not come back.

19. roger_m

I just tried again after disabling my antivirus, but it still wouldn't install.

20. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It has nothing to do with your AV. MS releases this upgrade gradually while they monitor telemetry and based on data obtained they adjust the upgrade deployment in order to avoid the servers overloading. Let it be for a day or so and try it later again.

21. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

You can try and see if disabling it from startup and rebooting helps. If not, then I no idea what to do.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Most likely its by machine/ID/serial and not by geograpicaò
    Yeap, did this and it worked fine. All in its place...

23. roger_m

I think I'll have to download the 64 bit ISO with Microsoft's Media Creation Install and do an upgrade of my existing Windows 10 install.

24. roger_m

Yes, but the update was actually downloaded by Windows Update (or so it indicated), it just won't install.

25. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes but during the own update process, it calls MS servers again (don't ask me why but it does) and if something is wrong the update halts. I had this when upgrading from 8.1 to 10. As I said leave it for now and try it tomorrow again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.