Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@roger_m No, not likely any difference. Although it would be beneficial for users who were running into errors in which upgrades were failing. Saves quite a bit of time as well, but the end result is the same.

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Replacing hardware in your PC? Windows 10 will deactivate

Since Microsoft introduced Windows XP's activation feature, Windows has taken a hash mark of your hardware, everything from the CPU to power supply, to get your PC's unique fingerprint for the activation process. Microsoft has always said it doesn't keep the information, but that may have changed with Windows 10.

It stems from the bargain of having a free operating system. Windows 10's license lasts for the life of the PC and is not transferable to other PCs. But changing just a motherboard can qualify as a new PC..........."

http://www.networkworld.com/article...eactivated-replacing-hardware.html#tk.rss_all

Well that totally sux. Not clear if the PC reverts to 8.1. One commentator says just contact Microsoft "through Windows 10 and explain and Windows 10 will be reactivated." Sounds bogus - how do you contact Microsoft through Windows 10 if it has already been borked?Uninstall the new hard ware and reinstall the old hard ware first? Perhaps he meant contact Microsoft and tell them you are going to be replacing hardware first? But that cuts against the logic behind Microsoft's philosphy on this stoopid policy. It's the same PC that got a free upgrade to Windows 10, whether you replace hardware or not.

If you buy a new a second PC with win 8.1 are you still entitiled to a free Upgrade?

IMHO Microsoft is nutso on this one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No different than what you have today really.
    Mrk

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I can't find info at the moment about how long Windows 10 can be used without activation, but it doesn't immediately stop working in the upgrade scenario you described. Also there is always the option to contact them via phone for activation. More info here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've always found them to be very helpful and cooperative when I've called to activate anything, be it Windows itself, or Office.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if a mobo swap is truly needed you use phone activation and explain and they will reactivate from what i am being told. if one takes advantage of it though and calls many many times they will eventually not allow it.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just a question on the auto updates.

I upgraded from 8.1 64 bit Pro with Media Center a few weeks ago. My settings then were 'do not download or install any updates'.

I haven't done a clean install.

As yet I have not had any updates automatically downloaded or installed, the downloads seem to only be initiated when I go to Settings..Updates and Security. Then it will auto start downloading them and then ask me if I want to install them now or later when I'm not doing anything.

Is this what others have happen?

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro I haven't done a clean install ether. After installing Windows 10 Pro Wu was set to Auto update, with the help of gpedit.msc WU is now set to "Notify before download Notify before installing. I have notifications set to tell he that I have updates to download (then I go and investigate). Most likely cause is Windows defender and can be put off to a better time.

10. PallMall

PallMall Guest

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I'm quite confused about Windows Hello. Is it already available or not? I read somewhere that it's gonna be launched October - November. I searched for Hello settings under Account settings but to no avail.

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@pegas Microsoft has an article detailing how to use Hello. I'd never heard of Hello until I saw your post.

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks. I know about this article.
    My problem is that I don't have Windows Hello option in the Sign-in options. There are only options Password, PIN code and Picture code, Windows Hello is missing. That's why I asked if this feature is already implemented. That's strange as my laptop has got a fingerprint as well as camera. :doubt:

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

As a follow up to Windows Hello I have found out that this feature is bounded to Intel Real Sense 3D camera, so if your device doesn't have this camera Windows Hello isn't available. More read.

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes, the number of devices that are equipped with this 3D camera is really small. On the other hand almost every new laptop/PC has a fingerprint and camera. Therefore I cannot understand why Windows Hello is strictly bound on this 3D camera. My laptop has a fingerprint and camera but Windows Hello isn't available because of absence of the 3D camera. It's ridiculous. On 8.1 I was using fingerprint and camera for login, so upgrading to Win 10 brings no evolution in this respect, rather the opposite.

18. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am just as stunned as you are, no plug in camera ready to plug in to transform window 10 in to what was promised it isn't even in the pipeline.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Heard today that the number of Insider Program users has increased to about 7 million. Think it was originally 5 million.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow... I'm amazed...

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.inferse.com/35750/microsoft-delays-windows-10-threshold-2-november/

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

A couple of weeks ago decided to try Win 10 again. So I used upgrade to go from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro. Everything went nicely with no glitches. It was painfully slow to boot at first but has gotten faster over the past few days. And, this time all my software works like a charm. I'm running it as it installed right now. No problems of any kind yet. I even like the Edge browser. I think this time it's a keeper.

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I seem NOT to have any of the problems some people are having and it's fast too and I don't use Edge browser.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/08/you-can-print-to-pdf-natively-in-windows-10/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.