Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Patch Tuesday: Not dead yet
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/2952712/microsoft-windows/patch-tuesday-not-dead-yet.html

2. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Well, so much for configuring automatic updates to 'Notify before downloading and installing any updates'. I thought it was working as shown in my previous post, but after logging on today WU went on its merry way downloading and installing. For some reason 'Choose how updates are installed' was reset to Automatic (recommended). Sigh ....
    WU1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Disregarding what may or may not be happening with Windows 10, I would've thought Patch Tuesday isn't over yet because there will be those Windows 7/8.1 users who don't/won't upgrade to 10 and I haven't heard if the update schema was changing for that group of users.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/24/security-in-windows-10/

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The biggest issue I have with Windows 10, is that some old computers have serious audio latency issues. This is also an issue to an extent with Windows 8/8.1, but it seems it can be much worse under Windows 10. I installed build 10240 on an old Toshiba laptop and played a YouTube video. The audio was suffering from major glitches.

It's actually a 9 year old laptop. However, the hardware is quite capable of running Windows 10. It's only the audio issue which makes it unusable. I have the same issue with my current laptop, but the audio problems are not nearly as bad.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have a 6 year old Asus laptop with 10 on it now (build 10240) and have no audio issues at all. Interesting... Must just be different hardware...

7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Disabling driver updates also does not work.

8. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

Just curious. What kind of Asus laptop model do you have running Windows 10 on if I may ask?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's a U50A I think... fairly old, core 2 duo, 4gb ram etc. I have a 24" HP monitor and keyboard and mouse hooked up, so it's more or less like a desktop.

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but is there a way to install with a local account ?

11. roger_m

12. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

@Kerodo Hey, buddy... waayyyy curious to know if you're running 32-bit or 64-bit W10 on that puppy. My "quandary" so to speak is settling for W10 32-bit since I'm currently stuck with W7 32-bit. Strongly considering doing a clean install to 64-bit or outright ditching the old box altogether for more RAM juice, etc.

Edit-- assuming W10 garnishes rave reviews after the glitches are worked out.

13. roger_m

Yes, it's due to the hardware. When I was running an older build on my ThinkPad the latency issues were only minor, e.g. I would get occasional glitches when I was putting my system under load while listening to streaming audio. Windows 7 fares much better. I do have some minor issues, but that is only occuring when my system is using too much RAM and the page file is being used excessively. I'm going to upgrade from 4 to 6GB of RAM to fix that, as sometimes my system uses way too much RAM when I have 40 browser tabs open.

I will try listening to streaming audio again when my system updates to Windows 10, see if there's any improvement, and if not, rollback to Windows 7.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

40 tabs !!! What sites do you visit ? And which browser ?

15. roger_m

@SherlockHolmes I use 360 Extreme Explorer which uses both Chrome and IE for rendering pages, but just about always Chrome - which seems to use a lot of RAM. I have a bad habit of keeping tabs open, and whenever I reboot, I get my browser to open all previously open tabs.

Currently I've only got 30 tabs open.

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

II have the same habit, but I don't think it is a bad one to have but it does mean you need a lot of Ram. I have tabs open because I am reading a article on how to configure my sound card and don't get the time to finish it; several U Tube tabs on different subjects that I want to explore; person finance software tabs,it takes plenty of ram. The list changes, with Windows 10 being released I have I have a lot more tabs open.

17. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

My wife also tries to have the entire WWW open in tabs.

That's what Pocket is for.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I'm running 64 bit 10. If you've got 4 GB ram and it's not too old, I'd go x64. Runs fine here....

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been having some weird disk usage issues where disk usage jumps to 100% and stays there for anywhere from 30 secs to a minute or two, but this occurs mostly in Win 7 and Win 8, still some in win 10 also. I haven't figured it out yet, but it's been happening at certain times for quite a while now. It's annoying because when it happens, it renders the machine almost useless for a full minute at times. I don't think anything is wrong with the hardware because Linux works fine. It's just in Win that it happens. I need to do some research and see if I can find out what causes it. Aside from that, everything works great most of the time from W7 thru W10.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

21. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the reply, Kerodo!! :cool:

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

One of the benefits of x64 is being able to use ram above the 4gig address space. Typically on a desktop PC with 4gigs ram and a dedicated video adapter you see a real benefit switching from x86 to x64, because the video ram which previously had to be mapped in the 4gig space can now be mapped above it. Unfortunately you don't reap that benefit with motherboard graphics because system ram is used for graphics. In other words you will not likely see any increase in ram on the laptop and x64 actually has a bit more overhead. I don't know if there are any other benefits to x64 that would still make it desirable in this scenario.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. roger_m

In the past, I haven't needed excessive amount of RAM. Maybe it's becuase I'm using a 64 bit edition of Windows now, or maybe 360 Extreme Explorer uses a lot of RAM.

25. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Saturday's KB3074681 appears to be causing reproducible Explorer crashes for some users. Now I am starting to worry more over forced updates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.