Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

For later builds (10130 IIRC or after 10130) you need an MSA and you have to join the insider program (you always had to; it's one click) but you don't have to submit anything.

They removed the Insider app in 10240; you have to install it from optional features. They mentioned the telemetry but I don't remember what the announcement was.

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

In addition to what I previously mentioned, I also found this:

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/07/windows-10-rtm-build-10240-still-collects-data-from-pcs/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/supersite-windows-10-how-collection#slide-0-field_images-56871

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I noticed today that my OEM sent out 2 driver updates for my W7 system which I installed as they came in as recommended. I did not know they were to only add W10 support until one messed up the system tray icons. The 'show icon only' or 'icon with notification' all reset to something different. Some icons disappeared altogether and one is unrecognizable. Reboot does not fix them - I had to manually change everything and reopen the apps that lost their icon. The unrecognizable one is still in that state - my W10 experience is off to a great start :ouch: .

I guess if you have W7 or W8, the OEMs are just going to send everyone updated drivers to support W10 because they do not know who is intending to upgrade. Good idea, but it would be a lot better if they worked properly. :rolleyes:

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thank you Rolo42 and TheWindBringeth,

So reading your posts I gather that the data collection is still going on in the latest build, but will become optional after July 29th release.

And that you need a MS account to install and use Windows 10, but the choice to submit data is up to the user.

Considering that there are only a few days left till July 29, so I will wait until then and install Windows 10 after that.

Thanks for your help.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would think that if you are going to remain an insider testing new builds, then the data collection and/or keylogging would continue. If you opt out of further test builds, then it probably stops. So it depends on your future intentions I guess...

7. Raza0007

Well I do not want to be an insider. I just want to install Windows 10 for 1-2 days to see if all my components are compatible with Windows 10. From compatible I mean that they work as good as they are working now. For example, my audio chip has default drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1, but they do not work as well as the ones supplied for Windows 7. This is what I want to check for other components on my system.

So, my original question was that is there a way to install Windows 10 on my system right now in a way that I do not become a Windows insider, or make a MS account, or submit usage data back to MS? The answer I got was that it is not possible right now, but will be possible after July 29th.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I would imagine after the 29th, there will be a final ISO you can install and play with, even though it's not activated etc. If it's any build prior to final, my guess would be it's sending telemetry to MS of some kind. The final should not, of course...

9. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Actually this should be possible, especially since you are only wanting to run Windows 10 for a few days to see how well it works with your hardware. In that case, it does not matter whether or not the Windows 10 activates because you can use it for a certain period of time (30 days maybe?) fully functional. You can also skip Microsoft Account as well but it gets tricky and you will lose functionality of most modern apps.

If you are doing clean install, ensure that you pull the ethernet cable and/or do NOT connect to WiFi, that way you can skip MSA and create local account. Do not connect to your Internet connection until you are fully installed and at desktop. Most drivers should be installed, although it is quite possible that more drivers will come in automatically through Windows Update within the first 10 minutes or so after you connect to the internet. You should be perfectly fine for testing it out for a few days/weeks without having to be an Insider or having an MSA. But I have to admit, they are making it more difficult to work with local accounts now and there will likely be issues with some modern apps.

10. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I tested those GPO settings with Build 240 and it did not work for me. Windows downloaded and installed updates anyway without informing. Did it work for you?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  11. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

I'd imagine that if windows wants forced updates, they'll bypass the GP as they know that could be a work around. I don't think they are going to allow a way to prevent the updates, unless they run into problems and eventually reverse their policy, but I have a feeling there's a reason they are forcing the updates, key word force. Not sure why, but there really is no reason to force them, as even the most un-savvy computer user has the option to install automatically and forget about it, but for those who don't it seems fishy to not give the option. If there's nothing fishy about it, than why not give the option?

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My best guess has been that they want to be able to "force" new features on everyone in the future, whether we like them or not, we'll have no say in the matter of how the OS evolves down the road. Of course that's pure speculation, but it makes sense.. I don't think forced updates will work out though.. they'll be forced themselves to change this policy.

13. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Oh I agree. I'm waiting for the day (whenever I do upgrade, which might not be for a few years) I turn my computer on and there's an ad in the corner of my desktop telling me about some new app or what not.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, just what we all need, right? ;)

15. Raza0007

Thats good to hear. So you can make a local account? Somebody told me a few months ago that you cannot start or use Windows 10 without an MS account.

I like your idea of using it without an internet connection, but it will probably cripple the testing part. Since July 29th is only a few days away, so I will probably wait until then and install the final build or more specifically, the build that does not send usage data back to MS.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The idea behind pulling the plug on the internet is for when you install, so that it doesn't try to prompt you for an MS account. If it sees that you're not connected, it'll allow you to use a local account. It was this way with Win 8 also....

17. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

You can use a local account during setup and you don't have to disconnect. IP builds just won't activate, but as was said, you don't have to activate it to test it (I don't know how long it'll run unactivated)

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

It works for regular patches, only Windows defender definitions are downloaded automagically.
    Make sure the GPO settings are reflected in Windows updates advanced options
    Capture.PNG

19. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Yes, I need to correct what I said previously about the GPO settings not working. When I use option 5 instead of 2, I did get informed about updates and was able to control when to download.
    WU.jpg

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well I sure got a surprise: 3:30 AM Windows 10 woke from sleep to update graphics drivers, and I couldn't see a thing but grey light on all my monitors soon after...

None of the keyboard commands worked, and neither did plugging in/out external monitors. Sleep power button changed nothing. Therefore I had to hard reset.

If anyone knows the shortcut for soft restart/shutdown, I'd be glad to know.

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If system is responsive (and there is problem only with graphics card) you can create shortcut for "shutdown -s -t 0" and designate shortcut key combination to run it.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I had the same thing with an audio driver. That's why Win 7 will live on my machines, until they die.

24. Raza0007

Thank you. I will give Windows 10 a try this weekend.

25. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.