Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting stuff, it's a bit sad though, because the old Edge really isn't a bad browser. On the other hand, it really bugs me that it stays in memory when you close it, so I already decided I was going to install the new Edge Chromium.

BTW, I was trying to fix the problem with the Windows Store app, so I decided to disable all tweaks from O&O ShutUp 10, but it didn't work. So I switched it on again, but now I wonder if O&O ShutUp 10 works correctly because I saw that UWP apps still had access to my Documents folder.

2. plat

plat Registered Member

See, I'm not into "tweaks" as with my shabby luck, things start sliding sourth eventually. But the annoyance factor was strong with this one. I kept getting a nag in WU to update an Intel software component, XTU, something I haven't used in months.

So, I ultimately got the wushowhide diagcab but it didn't seem to be available via Microsoft itself. I got it via MajorGeeks. Worked fine and scanned clean. But I wish I didn't have to use this.

Rasheed, do you like the chromium Edge? I liked the Legacy also but it was so limited in functionality. Since the last update preview, Legacy Edge is gone plus you can't uninstall the new Edge. It's in like Flynn.

3. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Why do you need controlling software?

4. Floyd 57

You can disable app access from settings

5. Floyd 57

You can, go look up JR mod's posts, he posted a link how to uninstall it. Or just google lol

6. plat

plat Registered Member

oops, you're right. I wasn't thinking beyond the obvious. :)

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Some devices have settings that need to be optimized. Things like the Intel graphics display panel also come from the Microsoft Store now. Some of these settings have no other way to be accessed. Even specialized things like the Alienware Command Center now also come from the Microsoft Store. It provides settings for overclocking, cooling, and lighting. Connecting the device automatically downloads it from the Microsoft Store. It would otherwise be impossible to fully utilize a device.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was of the impression that ShutUp just stopped Windows 10 from communicating with Microsoft. Though it has been a while since I have looked at it I am not surprised if it still allows local folder access.

9. Floyd 57

So you're saying that when u go here https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

And you download the driver for your gpu like this

upload_2021-2-7_18-33-15.png
    upload_2021-2-7_18-33-40.png

It does not automatically install geforce experience and nvidia control panel for you?

10. Floyd 57

Yeah it also modifies a bunch of stuff that you can change yourself in settings. But if you ever wonder why you can't change some settings cuz it says in red text "Your organization has taken control of these settings" (it was smth like that) , it's because of these programs that force themselves with group policy or through registry keys. And then one day u wanna use it but u can't because u have no idea where the **** is this registry key or group policy or whatever it is that is preventing you from altering the setting in the Settings panel

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

This is probably the wrong thread, but I'll ask the question anyway.

Is anyone else experiencing very slow startup from 20H2? I turn my laptop on in the morning, and it averages over 3 minutes before it gets to the desktop. Once it's there and settles down, everything seems normal, almost as fast as Win 8.1. I've read many complaints from people with all brands of computers saying the same thing. I'm considering spending half a day doing a reset (keep files) to see if it helps.

I've also read about turning off or on fast start, but this one doesn't have any fast start box to check or uncheck. I suspect it's hidden someplace and I just haven't found it.

12. Floyd 57

Google how to disable fast startup on W10 (registry key)

Also, if you made an image (you should have) before you upgraded to 20H2, use that

And if not, you can use Windows.old to go back to your old version before you upgraded to 20H2. Ofc, it might not work flawlessly... you have to try to know. But still better than Reset, if it works

13. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Chuck- don't know if it will help, but to change the Fast Start function from the default ON to Off:

Control Panel>Power Options>Choose what the power button does>then check or uncheck Fast Start in the Shutdown Settings section.

14. Chuck57

Went there last night and no fast start button, and just checked again. Power options "Define power buttons" has no fast startup button.
    Went to 'change settings that are currently unavailable' and it shows the same thing as Define power buttons.

15. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

@Chuck57, you are not alone I have the exact same problem as you and I could never figure out why:thumbd:

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Maybe both of you disabled hibernation and fast startup is not available because of it. I know that on my system I can't enable/disable it since I disabled hibernation.

17. Chuck57

I spent a long time yesterday looking, and found a LOT of people having the same problem. I know this critter has a fast start button somewhere, but it isn't where it's supposed to be. One person said they turned off fast start, then turned it back on after a minute and it worked to solve the slows. But they had a box to uncheck and check.

18. Chuck57

Nope. When this happened, I went to the power options and no hibernation available either. I only had sleep and lock boxes, below the close lid, press power button. Having no hibernation could be the cause. It just puzzles me why I've got NO options in the little square boxes under the close lid, etc stuff.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

As has been said you have to select 'change settings that are currently unavailable' to be able to use the tick boxes.
    Screenshot 2021-02-07 175846.jpg

20. Minimalist

Yes that's what I meant. If you used procedure like this one you might disable hibernation and by this fast startup option also.

21. Minimalist

I just did a test - I reenabled hibernation and both option returned to power buttons section. :thumb:

So you have to use "powercfg -h on" in cmd under admin and you can then enable Fast startup or hibernation if you want.

EDIT:

before turning it on:
    upload_2021-2-7_19-7-44.png

and after:

upload_2021-2-7_19-8-1.png

22. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

@Minimalist, thank you for that, you were right, everything is back to normal now...:)

23. Chuck57

Thank you, Minimalist. That got hibernate back. Now, just wait and see over time whether this slug speeds up a little on boot. It isn't a major deal. I turn it on in the morning and off at night. After 30 yrs with a computer, I really ought to spend time learning how they work.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  24. Chuck57

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Chuck this might be the reason, also I would like to point out that using an SSD to launch the OS will speed up startup time dramatically. When I had an HDD, startup time would be about 50-60 seconds, with an SSD on the same machine it takes now about 12 seconds. It is true that powering up a machine in the morning and keeping it on all day makes fast startup times irrelevant, but all computer operations will speed up significantly...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.