Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

2. plat

plat Registered Member

Sometime within the past month, my machine mysteriously disconnected from the Insiders. No clue as to how that happened. I checked in Settings App and it told me "Optional diagnostic data" setting had to be enabled. Duh! How did it get disabled anyway? :cautious: Wouldn't stay enabled either, just kept going back to "Required."

So, blah, blah, found a thread on the MS Insiders forum that solved it by creating a new registry key. Just got KB4598291, installed it and now Insiders Beta ring winver is 19042.782 as stated above. My free disk space "shrank" by about 2.5 GB afterward. Settings/Storage supposedly recovered 500 MB in cleanup. Then, free disk space was mysteriously back to normal somehow. Business as usual.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Updated as well to v. 19042.782 on the beta channel, so far no issues and no significant leftovers.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks I still need to check it out, but I believe that those notifications are not the same as the old school "balloon notifications'', and I also wonder if my problems are perhaps caused by Notification Area Cleaner, truly ridiculous that Win 10 doesn't offer a feature to delete obsolete trayicons.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-manage-your-notifications-in-windows-10/
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Notification-Area-Cleaner-for-Windows-7.shtml

6. plat

plat Registered Member

Got KB4601906--Windows Feature Experience Pack. However, when I tried the update history link, I got:

Opera Snapshot_2021-01-26_131859_support.microsoft.com.png

So if there's some kind of article or changelog posted soon, I'll keep an eye out as I'm curious what this is about. Winver is still 19042.782 and there was maybe 78 MB in Windows Update Cleanup. :)

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, yes, not much going on at this time. Much obliged, stapp. :)

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here, Windows Update cleanup 73 MB :D

10. guest

guest Guest

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21301
    January 27, 2021
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21301/

11. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

and im still not getting update to 2004 :confused:

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

13. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

You can download iso file then click setup.exe. I recommend to slipstream updates before doing this into iso. Here is general overview how I did this https://www.wilderssecurity.com/posts/2973841/

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. guest

guest Guest

16. Rasheed187

BTW, is it true that you need to be signed in when you want to install a videogame via the Windows Store? I have downloaded Asphalt 9, but can't install it, I get some stupid error. No wonder that the Windows Store never became a success, M$ should be ashamed for producing such crap. And why don't they let you download apps directly from the website?

https://windowsreport.com/cant-install-universal-apps-windows-store/
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/asphalt-9-legends/9nzqpt0mwtd0?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

17. xxJackxx

The Microsoft Store allows them to control versioning and updates. Even the NVIDIA Control Panel comes from the Microsoft Store at this point. I don't like it but it's what they do.

18. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Even if u install using the nvidia installer? I havent used nvidia in some time but last I did it wasnt like that.

19. xxJackxx

It's a battle to find drivers with an integrated control panel anymore. You'll see most graphics drivers, as well as many other drivers, are labeled DCH drivers, with the controlling software coming separately from the Microsoft store.

20. Rasheed187

It's crazy, if you want to make the Win Store a success, then you will have to make sure it will work correctly at all times. I'm not going to try all of those stupid fixes that probably won't even work because the last time I tried, I had to reinstall Windows.

So no Win Store for me, I guess I will need to stick with Steam, but strangely enough Asphalt 9 isn't available on it, what the hell? But anyway, the Win Store truly is crap, I tried to sign in but TinyWall blocked it, because it's yet another app responsible for the signing in process, why make it so complex?

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Cumulative Update Preview (beta channel) KB4598291, no issues and hardly any leftovers to clean, OS build is now 19042.789

22. plat

plat Registered Member

Thanks for the warning, also got a .NET Framework one --KB4598299. Today, there was an update via Windows Update to some Intel software with label of 6.5.1.371 that kept failing at the Download stage. So searching for that reveals that it's part of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, something I haven't used in months. Searched registry and File Explorer--no remnants. So this is ever so slightly creepy-- like telemetry sent back just a touch too much info to Microsoft. Hope it disappears, it's annoying.

Otherwise all updates, incl. Defender's, went thru without a hitch. Update cleanup was like 450 MB also, and I also deleted the contents of the Downloads folder in Software Distribution to recoup a little extra. :)

Edit: tried to install XTU in order to get whatever that software component is out of the Windows Update and was met with a "fatal error." Now, I recall something to that effect months ago that had me removing it permanently. Guess I'm stuck with this non-update until it's yanked outta here.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  23. guest

guest Guest

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.