Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

I usually wait several months after the latest version is released before I move to it. I didn't wait this time and sure enough there are some bugs that MS needs to fix. Fortunately they're not major and I'll stay with it for the time being.
    I'm glad I found out about the optimize drives functionality being screwed up early on and turned it off. I don't care to have my SSD defragged every time I boot into Windows, or defragged at all for that matter.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. guest

guest Guest

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20180
    July 29, 2020
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20180/

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. guest

guest Guest

Windows 10 is five years old - here's how it's evolved
    July 29, 2020
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-is-five-years-old---heres-how-its-changed

7. guest

guest Guest

Windows 10 turns five years old today: Mobile edition
    July 29, 2020
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-turns-five-years-old-today-mobile-edition

8. guest

guest Guest

AdDuplex: The year-old Windows 10 version 1903 is still the most popular
    July 31, 2020
    https://www.neowin.net/news/adduplex-the-year-old-windows-10-version-1903-is-still-the-most-popular

9. guest

guest Guest

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But is there any reason to keep updating Win 10 in the first place? My motto is, if it works, it works.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Do you mean for Microsoft or the end user? As for the end user you eventually run out of support and security updates if you don't keep up.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. guest

guest Guest

14. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm of the opinion that, if you have solid security, you could run Win Vista or XP and not worry. Personally, I'd love to be able to get the old Win 10 Creator's Update and forget all the newer versions. It worked perfectly on this machine. For me, I've decided to skip the latest. If they try to force me, I'll flip back to Win 8.1 Pro. This latest May thing is a disaster. It's like they tried to slip an Alpha build on us.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To me it seems like most updates cause nothing but trouble. I also believe that security patches are highly overrated, it really isn't that easy to exploit most of the security holes that are found in Windows. And normally speaking home users won't be targeted.

In the past I didn't even update Win XP for 8 years, never a single problem. Security tools are way more important than patches. I'd probably only patch the most severe security bugs. As for new features, I didn't find any interesting ones in most of the Win 10 updates. Really not worth the hassle.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yep, context makes the difference here. At home, do whatever works for you. At work, if I don't install a patch and we end up being affected by the security issue it becomes my fault.

18. guest

guest Guest

Windows 10 Device Manager is losing internet driver updates feature
    August 9, 2020
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/08/09/windows-10-device-manager-driver-updates-over-internet/

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

20. plat

plat Registered Member

Re: updates from Device Manager. Likewise: 19041.423. It just zips right thru "Search automatically for drivers" no matter what device I click. Just zip and that's it. Before, there was that green bar that actually demonstrated that it was looking for a driver for you. So, until shown otherwise, I suspect, on here at least, that this is now deprecated. Bummer. :(

But, in keeping with the trend to move everything to the Settings app, I have optional Intel drivers in Optional Updates.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah, I didn't take a great deal of notice but you're right! I do see the green bar for about a second, then zip!

22. itman

itman Registered Member

Yeah? Where? Or is it that a driver update will only show if it is available?

Also appears this is based on what is loaded on the Microsoft Update Catalog. If a device manufacturer doesn't load it there, you won't know if a new driver exists other than checking the manufacturer web site.
    Win_Updates.png
    I can't find a setting on Win 10 2004 where driver downloading option exists as in prior Win 10 versions.

23. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, maybe one's hardware specs are picked up by Microsoft's telemetry and driver downloads are provided accordingly. For example, looking at what's available for my machine, I would be confident in installing any of these...NOT. Used the Intel driver assistant instead for my 9th generation hardware. Maybe this feature will be refined in the future, one can only hope.

opdriv.PNG

24. guest

guest Guest

Useful Registry hacks to optimize your Windows 10 experience
    August 8, 2020
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...hacks-to-optimize-your-windows-10-experience/

25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.