Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the review. I particularly appreciated learning about the running background apps and promptly turned them all off :thumb: I missed the snarkiness that you usually bring to reviews though; perhaps next time :D

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm conserving my energy.
    Mrk

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Quick question, or maybe not so quick.

Has anyone here tested both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions? Curious for those that have if you have noticed Enterprise seems to have better performance and is not as resource intensive?

Cheers.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Much of the interface is the same as my 1607 Enterprise LTSB build. Do I miss the cool stuff? Hardly - when Windows Current Branch comes out with compelling content, I might reinstall. Until then I stay put on the stable version. The answer to the Creators' Update?
    42! Cheers.

5. NormanF

LTSB is to Microsoft what Enterprise Linux is to Redhat. The kind of version of Windows that never changes and the only thing you get are security and bug fixes. If you must have a rolling release and enjoy shiny new toys coming out every six months - then Home/Pro are right up your alley.

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I am running Enterprise but in Virtual box and even though is running in a VM seams fast enough for me.

7. Trooper

I am not talking LTSB just normal Enterprise. That said, I have been testing here today and I think I have answered my own question. Thanks man.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Can you share the results? I'm interested cause I have Education installed right now (which should be near identical to Enterprise), and my next PC will probably be Pro.

9. NormanF

On CBB, you get all the updates other CB Windows gets but you can defer them.

10. Trooper

I am not familiar with all the acronyms, I will be honest. I know what LTSB is but no clue what CBB is. All I know is I am on Enterprise x64 CU. Full blown everything.

11. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

With the current Insider build (16215) and therefore the upcoming platform upgrade for Windows 10 has dramatically locked down and mitigated svchost.exe processes. The mitigations are Arbitrary Code Guard and Code Integrity Guard and essentially block any kind of dynamic code from running within those processes.

Source: https://twitter.com/epakskape/status/873042557705478145

DB2ToUxVoAAjRSM.jpg

In my own experience manually enabling ProhibitDynamicCode (Disable Dynamic Code in GFlagsX) on certain processes for testing, it thoroughly and entirely blocked all .DLL module injections with that one single mitigation. So these svchost.exe processes are going to be well protected, They are already protected via Control Flow Guard as well.

12. NormanF

CBB = Current Branch For Business. Version of Windows on regular Enterprise and Pro.

13. Trooper

Thanks.

14. Trooper

You are making me want to try this insider build!

15. WildByDesign

I'm just running it in Hyper-V at the moment, but it's great to see Microsoft taking security seriously with each iteration of Windows 10. So many people are too bothered by privacy concerns that they miss the security gains that are constantly occurring. Anyway, I generally don't install Insider builds outside of Hyper-V until closer to RTM. Lots of great stuff in this build though.

16. Trooper

I hear you. If anything I will install in a VM as well. You think all of these security features will end up in the final build this fall? I am planning a deployment of W10 at my job, but the more I see about this upcoming upgrade I am thinking I may hold off until this drops. Too many good things security wise for me to pass up on. How is it running for you overall?

17. WildByDesign

I do believe that all of these recent security features (in Windows Defender Security Center and elsewhere) along with these updated process mitigations will absolutely be included in the next major Windows 10 upgrade. Many of these mitigations are available in Creators Update already, but the big difference is that they are being applied more throughout the OS by default such as svchost.exe and also Hyper-V (vmms.exe) for example is also going to be heavily loaded with process mitigations.

The only thing that I am not confident will make it into the next Windows 10 upgrade is Return Flow Guard. Microsoft is still developing it but found a design flaw and therefore pulled it back from public Insider builds. It will come at some point but I am not confident that it will be in the next platform upgrade.

Quite honestly, build 16215 us running as smooth as butter in Hyper-V right now with full hardware acceleration, etc. No major showstopping issues that I have experienced.

18. Trooper

I am especially interested in the fact that svchost.exe will be loaded with process mitigations as you mentioned. Malware has a nice way of sneaking in that way so to see any improvement for security within Windows itself in this area is a huge plus to me. Especially within the Enterprise version which looks like what I will be going with.

Good to know about the insider build. Perhaps I will fire up a test box sooner vs. later.

19. Trooper

I don't have any scientific reports or anything, just internal testing that I am doing for work. Are you looking for something specific?

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Maybe which is faster and more responsive overall?

21. Trooper

I will be doing more testing next week but so far, Enterprise is.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

OK, looking forward to that. Maybe I should unregister my Education license and do a clean install of that. Though just putting the SSD in the new PC without changing anything would be nice.

23. guest

guest Guest

all of you makes me envious, i'm stuck with Win10 home, i want Ent version !!!! :p

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

http://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...or-filters-for-color-blind-users-516353.shtml

25. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I did this one guest. I selected the bottom version of Win 10 64 and when I installed it to virtual box it shows as Enterprise. I gives you 90 days. I deleted the VM when had 75 days left and reinstalled it and got 90 days again.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.