Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I have two question, because I tried 10 la st year and I came back to 7, also because 10 gave me some issues, so:

1 since I have a legal serial for 10 ( upgraded from 7 ), I can download the last 10 version and my serial will work, is it ?
    2 now 10 doesn't allow to don't update ??

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

1. Your Win 10 key will work as it has been saved on the Microsoft servers as a digital entitlement, and you shouldn't need to put it in when installing as it should be auto recognised.

2. You have to have updates :( (apart from a few exceptions such as metered connections)

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

1. Yes.
    2. There are only some ways one can delay updates, mainly confined to Win 10 Pro.

4. blacknight

Thank you. Sorry, but reading some hundreds posts in this thread needed too much time.
    But really you mean that if use 10 I can't disable Windows Update service and eventually manually download a security roll pack or similar ?

5. paulderdash

One can disable WU service, but about manually downloading security updates only a la Win 7/8, I don't think so, but I would prefer if someone more knowledgeable than I answered that question.

Edit: See also post #3049.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can disable service but when you will re-enable it, your system will get updated with all updates (you won't be able to choose what to install and what not).

7. blacknight

:(:(

8. blacknight

It's tyranny. :mad:

9. Minimalist

No, it's not. MS in it's infinite wisdom decided that we (stupid users) can't manage their OS, so they decided to take control out of our hands.
    I decided to stay with 7 till 2020. Then I'll see what my options are.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There are various ways to disable WU, I use this, it can be used to disable auto-reboot as well. It just disables auto-checking for updates, so I can use WUMT to check and update, what I want.

Code:
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" "Schedule Scan.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable

11. Minimalist

Does WUMT allow you to install only specific updates included in update rollups? If not, then there is still an all-or-nothing situation when you decide to update your system.

12. blacknight

Ya, I too thought the same. May be it will be the moment to switch to Linux.

13. blacknight

Not sure to understand: now 10 has not roll up as 7 and 8 have, it is ? By previous post I understood that 10 WU install all automatically.

14. Minimalist

Windows 10 has had "rollup" or cumulative updates integrated from beginning. Windows 7 and 8 got it introduced later. When you install latest cumulative update you get installed all updates included in previous cumulative updates.

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Unfortunately those of us here who can manage the OS are in the minority. Inexperienced users typically do not install updates, so if the OS doesn't install them automatically they don't get installed. I recently came across a machine running XP that didn't have SP1!

There are third party utilities that return control of updating to the user in Windows 10. I use O&O ShutUp10 :thumb:

17. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That's not the case with Windows Enterprise LTSB - which differs from lower tier CB branch Windows. Difference is LTSB is only offered with security and bug fixes. Its not like an entire new version of Windows is pushed out with updates like seen with the CB.

18. Minimalist

Yes, I use LTSB version in my VM for testing purposes. Too bad it can't be bought by regular users...

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Upcoming Windows 10 Feature Will Block Installation of Win32 Apps
    Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...eature-will-block-installation-of-win32-apps/

This could actually be quite interesting for locking down systems of click-happy users. I've got 15042 running in Hyper-V already so I will test this out shortly. :thumb:

EDIT: If someone knows the corresponding registry key and/or group policy for this option, please let me know.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Yeah. Was just reading about it. Time for people to start "boning up" on Linux. "Big brother" Microsoft's whole intent with Win 10 from the start was to totally control and monitor everything you do.

22. Minimalist

I was expecting something similar when they introduced MS signed drivers. Next stage will probably be UWP apps (first optional then mandatory) and at the end apps from MS store only.
    I hope that they won't go so far, but I doubt it.

23. paulderdash

I would have to be senile enough to be happy being Noddy in Toyland, else Linux it is.

24. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

No 32 bit allowed? Hmmm, sounds like programs such as Kingsoft office, Foxit, FastStone, Sumatra, Snagit, MBAE, MBAM ... won't be allowed ?!

25. Minimalist

Not if this setting will be enabled and they won't have UWP version released.

EDIT: for now only installation of win32 apps will be controlled. Running already installed apps shouldn't be controlled with this setting ATM.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.