Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I only wanted to point out that the article was paid content for others interested in upgrading. I've already registered and rolled back all of my family and friends pcs. The simplest method I've found is to create a separate partition and install W10 there and then add your GenuineTicket.xml to register. After activation is successful, delete the partition if you don't need W10 right away. A Later install on the same hardware where W10 was registered on will be activated automatically. You need to do the W10 activation before the free upgrade ends.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Regarding the information given in the above article.

I did the free upgrade to W10 on my W7 system last year shortly after the upgrade process was made available.

So if I ever wish at some future time to change my PC to a different model therefore with different hardware will I still be able to do a clean install using my previous W7 DVD with the license key that came with that, and then still be able to do the W10 upgrade even after the free period has ended using the media creation tool, or will I then not be allowed to activate that upgrade on the new different PC.

The article seems to suggest it can't be done automatically but that a phone call to activate is worth a shot. I really want to keep W10 on whatever PC I use now and in the future and I'm guessing that the question I ask here will be asked by many others that are currently enjoying W10 and yet will obviously want to upgrade the PC and hardware in the future.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

For different hardware, you will need to buy a license.

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I see, that explains it... thank you.

I understand now that if some hardware like the system board is changed in the same PC then that's when a phone activation will probably be needed and would probably be allowed. However if the PC is changed and needs a clean install, which is what I always do in such cases, then I would have to buy a new license.

So for me and probably many others that do this type of hardware change, when the current PC needs to be replaced the upgrade to W10 was in effect a trial period from the time the original PC was upgraded. The good thing is once the licensed copy of W10 is purchased then that can be used time and time again and if I'm correct this will also be the last licensed OS that will ever need to be purchased as MS will from now on only update W10.

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Not having much luck with upgrades to Win 10, this time from Win 7.

Using GWX, install fails right at the end with a 80070005. Guess I could try the MCT next, I want to at least get the free activation.

But both my Win 7 and especially 8.1 are working well; I would rather not spend so much time and effort hopping onto M$ giant beta.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good idea; I also run Ccleaner and disable all third party auto-starting apps before starting the 10 upgrade.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No!

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It really depends on the price, Windows 10 home retails at $119, for an average use of 4 years that would be about $30 a year, therefore I would be prepared to spend up to $40 dollars (just over $ 3 a month). Some people of course would object in principle to such a concept, but the notion of ownership of programs is becoming obsolete as a business model...

13. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
    Windows 10 Ends Mainstream support: October 13, 2020
    Windows 10 Ends Extended support: October 14, 2025

14. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I might actually consider that, I don't like the fact that the PRO version doesn't have AppLocker and a few other goodies that the current Enterprise (now ENT 5?) version does. I suppose that it really depends on if there is a min limit for the sub...and what exactly the Ent 3 version will have....

15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks guys. Win 10 now successfully installed following above tips and MCT Upgrade method.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

For Win 8 users only.

Microsoft: We’ll Upgrade You to Windows 10 in One Day or Give You a Free Laptop
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...ne-day-or-give-you-a-free-laptop-506344.shtml

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

20. WildByDesign

@Krusty13 You're welcome. That brilliant and talented folks over at MDL had been working on that and perfecting that over time for quite a while now.

21. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

22. WildByDesign

23. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

24. WildByDesign

Try disabling Secure Boot or any special precision trackpad type of options in the BIOS, those have hung up my upgrades before. Just an idea anyway.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately they don't apply. I have tried uninstalling various drivers and no luck. I have been on the fast ring for a while and this is the first build to give me any trouble. If I don't find a solution by tomorrow I am going to roll back to the current RTM build. Good thing I backup up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.