Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Might give that a try in my 1607 image, one by one to see if I can isolate the offender.

2. bidd

bidd Guest

You've got some key drivers there that are highly likely to cause update issues with Win 10 if not installed first, performing the Win10 update via windows update function would be the best option imo as it should also install those latest drivers for compatibility...though you could also install the new drivers first just to be sure it's done right.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Those listed drivers via 10 Show Hide utility, you won't necessarily see those offered via Windows Updates.

The way is to manually go through Device Manager and try to locate the correct devices and do a Update that way (which is what I was referring to when saying forced updating.) Sometimes devices are using generic naming, and cause confusion, this is why I've made a small utility for personal use to scan through and update if there's available drivers.

4. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Hmm. :thumb: :D

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Unauthorized, mislabeled Microsoft support tool leaks; could cause more trouble than it cures
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/unauth...leaks-could-cause-more-trouble-than-it-cures/

8. paulderdash

Indeed I am having difficulty finding some corresponding drivers in Device Manager due to generic naming.
    Is there a similar utility publically available? Would e.g. Driver Talent do the job?

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

IObit's Driver Booster is very good, and can install any outdated and missing drivers it finds with just a single mouse click, and the free version finds nearly as many driver updates as the paid pro version.

DevID Agent is also very good and has much larger database of drivers than Driver Booster. However, at the moment often it can't search for driver updates as their server often gets overloaded. If this happens, I suggest trying again in a few hours. It is free.

Instead of Driver Talent, I suggest DriveTheLife, as it's free, whereas the free verrsion of Driver Talent is very limited. The name was changed from DriveTheLife to Driver Talent when they moved to offering free/paid versions. But, driver Booster and DevID Agent will usually find more drivers.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Be careful with third party driver update tools.

Its best to download drivers from the manufacturer website.

If your device works properly - don't update.

11. paulderdash

I know that is the standard advice.
    But with AU, my laptop won't restart or shutdown and others have mentioned it is probably a driver issue.
    I have updated some some Intel drivers via Device Manager, but these have made no difference so far.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Have you tried to disable via TM all third party processes and startup items other than MS and test?

13. paulderdash

Yes. Clean boot, with all services other than MS disabled, and all tasks disabled in Task Manager.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yesterday I gave it another try and updated Win 10 to the AU, and still had the same problem namely I cannot control the display brightness as it is set too dark to be comfortable. I guess I'll have to wait, I don't know whether I should blame MS, Samsung, or both.

I had to wait a year to update Win 8 to 8.1, as Samsung and AMD could not get their act together, and the problem was always a display driver. My machine is perfect with Win 10 v. 1511, and I hope MS won't force the AU as a normal update too soon.

I've just checked online about Samsung machines and Win 10: Samsung is actually asking its users not to upgrade to Win 10! (The article date is June 2). I'm lucky my machine works very well with Win 10, but I don't think I'll buy another Samsung notebook in the future.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...s-10-Samsung-Driver-Compatibility-Not-Upgrade

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. roger_m

Does the laptop have adaptive brightness? I had an issue with two Dell laptops I recently installed AU on, where while I could adjust the brigthness, even at the maximum setting the display was still very dim. I disabled the automatic brightness setting to fix it.

Windows 10 – How to disable automatic brightness adjustments.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes it does, and when I try to change the brightness using the keyboard, the cursor goes up and down with no change whatsoever on the display brightness, it just remains very dim. I also tried to do it from Settings/System/Display and again no results, but I'm pretty sure I did not turn it off. I'll try your method next time, I can't understand it works very well on Win 10 and breaks on AU?

17. roger_m

According to this thread there is a brightness control patch for Samsung laptops. Maybe this would fix the issue. If it doesn't, than most likely you need a different video driver. You may need to do a search for online for update video drivers, or try using third party driver update software such as DevID Agent.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

According to the Samsung Update App installed on my machine , I have a ' Win 10 brightness control patch 0.1" installed, therefore they are probably working on one for the AU... Hopefully it won't take a year... I think I'll stay with Win 10-1511 as I'm not confident enough to play with display drivers. This machine has 2 display adapters : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series. Roger as usual, thank you for your time...

19. paulderdash

I had this issue when first upgrading from 8.1 to 1511, and the solution was to turn auto brightness System>Display 'Change brightness automatically when lighting changes' to Off.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'll definitely try it on my third attempt when I have time. I'll wait a few weeks and see if Samsung delivers a patch, I doubt it though. The last I've read they are pulling out from the laptop business, and are concentrating exclusively on flat-screens, tablets, and smartphones...

21. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its like F.lux.... I turned off the automatic night time mode.... at 5000K, the screen is too dim to view comfortably. I have night set at 6500K, just
    like during the day. Easier on my aging eyes.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

23. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

24. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Have received the two updates KB3176934 and KB3176936. Installed smoothly and no issues observed (yet).

25. paulderdash

Any effect on your restart / shutdown issue?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.