Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update? Want to disable Cortana but don't feel like messing with the Registry?

How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update

Includes a download link for the required Reg Key + manual instructions. Also includes the Reg Key to reverse the change.

It works! :thumb:

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Disable? And you still can't change Windows 10 having two interfaces - one for classic and one for modern. Its a mess.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Don't like Windows 10? Don't use it.

Win10 is a compromise, sure, so I've compromised how I use it.

Your mileage may vary.

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Cortana isn't supported in my Win 10 native language, so I ask why do you need to disable it? Isn't it like Siri on iPhone? I'm not trolling, just curious.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I don't have an iPhone but I guess it is similar. I wouldn't use that just as I don't use "OK Google" [or whatever it's called] on my Android phone.

I guess it's just a choice.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, I thought so.

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I have been using this regTweak. I'm not a fan, or have the desires to use Cortana for web searches. This regTweak will have Cortana search for local applications and file searches.

The above being said, I'm not suffering by using Cortana Search. :thumb:

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't have Cortana on my main laptop, even after upgrading my year old Windows 10 installation to AU. I have removed the search bar from the task bar, as I have no need for it. However, if I enable it again, I still don't have Cortana. I haven't done anything to disable it.

I don't mind the lack of Cortana as it's something I've never used, so I do not need to know how to get it. Also, I've never got any of the 3rd party apps like Asphalt 8 or Candy Crush. Which again isn't an issue, as I don't want them, and I never use any modern apps. I even replaced the Calculator modern app with the Windows 7 one. I have no 3rd party apps on my computer. Just the standard MS one that I don't use.

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Type Cortana in Start Menu and you'll see if there's.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Upgrading from Win10 1511 you won't see Cortana if you had it disabled before hand. With a clean / fresh install it is there.

11. roger_m

That explains it. I don't think I ever disabled Cortana, but I know that it wasn't available here in Australia when Windows 10 was first released.

I've noticed that when you do a clean install of AU you are asked if you want to use Cortana or not. A computer I installed AU on yesterday did get Cortana, but perhaps I mistakenly selected that I wanted to use it.

@pegas If I type Cortana at the Start Menu, it finds Cortana & Search settings.

12. guest

guest Guest

if you disable cortana's options to use your infos and behaviors , it becomes just a basic system search tool.

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Having the same. @guest explained it.

14. roger_m

On my laptop there is the option "Search online and include web results" which I have set to disabled. However, on a laptop I just installed AU on, there is no such option.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You are right of course.
    I had disabled everything I could find on my Win10 Home Edition concerning Cortana but if I clicked the "O" icon, which used to be a magnifying glass icon, then clicked settings I was given a choice of Settings, which took me to the Privacy setting panel, or Maybe Later.

Where right clicking on the Task Bar gave me the options for "Search" now the options were for Cortana. If you've hidden Search you probably wouldn't have to deal with Cortana anyway.
    On my other machine which has the AU upgraded from 1511 I still have that option too.

16. roger_m

On the computer which I've upgraded to AU, if I turn on the search icon again, I still get the magnifying glass. It seems Cortana is well and truly disabled :)

Oon the other laptop, while I do have the search icon disabled, if I search from the Start Menu, I get web results as well as local results. I don't want any web results.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

18. roger_m

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Has anyone else here experienced the issue that computer won't restart or shutdown after AU upgrade?

20. bidd

bidd Guest

Not me, I've upgraded 3 systems with the Media Creation Tool and 1 system via Windows updates and they're all fine.

21. paulderdash

Two here also fine using MCT. Just my ThinkPad has this issue (using MCT, ISO or WU).
    Just wondering if it's only @pegas and myself experiencing this.

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Maybe we're alone here on Wilders. But I'm sure that others are outside of Wilders and I hope the MS telemetry will catch this bug.

23. Phant0m

Good possibility it's driver related. To rule out software conflicts, try performing Clean-Boot into Windows.. and no, not talking about clean-install of Windows 10.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929135

Once booted using Clean-Boot, test Windows 10 AU by doing restart, and shutdown.

24. paulderdash

I tried exactly that (after a clean boot WU AU upgrade), but the problem persisted. So presumably it is some or other driver.

Interesting. I had hidden the 1607 upgrade using wushowhide (Advanced>Apply repairs automatically unticked) when reverting to my 1511 image, and checked afterwards that it was indeed hidden.
    If I look there now, it is no longer there! Is there a possiblity MS has pulled 1607 for my system?

wushowhide does show 17 updates for drivers, etc., also Silverlight (all of which are presumably optional). I am hesitant to apply any of these in case they bork my system. On the other hand, one of these may be the problem ...

Attached Files:

25. Phant0m

Yes. It surely points to being device driver issue.

I'm always force upgrading device drivers, and with very high success rates. You should indeed try grabbing those latest drivers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.