Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

Windows 10 update history

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Atlast yesterday night downloaded Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it updated W10 to AU version with out any hitch.
    Only thing I did pre-update was to disable ReHIPS and Eset Hips.

Haven't played with it after the update much. Will report back in case of any issues.

Guess my next step is clean update and installation files in a week if everything is running as expected.
    And then install uBO on edge!

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

With a lot of help from @Phant0m I now have now upgraded a second laptop to AU. Once again there's a very noticable performance increase compared to the previous build.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I know I also was impressed with the performance gain. This 10 update, continues to shows how they striving for progress, regardless of shut-minds. :isay:

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

7. Phant0m

Your very welcomed paulderdash. What was your opinion of the Windows 10 Anniversary update?

8. paulderdash

I haven't really played with it my secondary laptop yet, but it did seem faster on my prmary machine.

However, I had some issues there ...
    1. I am not sure my group policy for WU (2 - notify to download and notify to install) was operational anymore as noted here. It used to say 'Some settings are managed by your organization' or something like that, now just says updates will be automatic. This is not one of the group policies that were meant to be deprecated for Pro users.
    2. Restart and shutdown stopped working (just spinning circle). I had to do hard power down (nearly) every time.
    3. Some task scheduler jobs (Macrium image backups) stopped working. A fix is forthcoming apparently.

But 2. made me revert to 1511 on my primary machine. (Very strangely, I no longer see the 'Some settings are managed by your organization' now on 1511 either. Will try reapplying the policy and rebooting).
    I will try an upgrade again soon, but monitor more closely what may be causing the restart / shutdown issue.

Will see over the next few days how the AU update eventually performs on my secondary laptop.

9. Phant0m

The restart / shutdown issue might be linked to a bad / incompatible driver. I would interested to read more about this.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Having the same issue.

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

This issue has definitely something to do with Ethertnet because if I unplug Ethernet cord, reboots or shutdowns go on normally. I already updated Intel driver (Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM), disabled Wake on Lan, played with Speed & Duplex but nothing helps.

12. Phant0m

Interesting. The latest would be Version: 21.0, correct? Do you remember what version was installed in the previous Windows version?

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes but only driver is 12.15.23.1, before I had installed 12.13.xx (I don't remember the rest of numbers). I reverted to this previous driver but to vain.

14. paulderdash

In my case, I have no ethernet. But googling does indicate the possibility of a bad driver. But which one :( ? How to isolate that?
    Could it be my Logitech Bluetooth mouse? Although it did work fine ...

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have written to MS support and they are giving me dozen of instructions and advices but nothing helps yet. I suspect they are at an impasse.

16. paulderdash

Reapplying the policy and rebooting worked and brought back the 'Some settings are managed by your organization' message. At least with 1511 it reboots :)

But can anyone with Windows 10 Pro AU confirm if the WU policy is still honoured and just the message doesn't appear? Or has that policy been deprecated also? it shouldn't have been.

Regarding the restart / shut down bad driver issue, I will try the same upgrade method next that I used for my secondary machine (ISO, clean boot, disconnect from wi-fi, WU afterwards) if that fixes or sheds light on the issue.

Maybe tomorrow. But I have 'upgrade fatigue' after legacy OS to 10 1511, then 1607, in a month on 4 laptops here.

Given my experiences, in hindsight staying on legacy OS's would have been less effort. Can still do this but would need to update a boatload of software after restoring images. And I was just curious about Win 10. But as I've said before, Cortana (not activated here anyway), apps, etc. don't hold anything for me, or the loss of control, even on Pro version. Win 8.1 with Classic Shell was fine.

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have now discovered that laptop doesn't reboot also when being on wi-fi or mobile network. Hmm, strange. Maybe ESET could be the culprit? Anyone with ESET having the same issue?

18. anon

anon Registered Member

19. harsha_mic

I did AU version yesterday night thorugh Upgrade Assistant (disabled ESET HIPS and ReHIPS). No issues so far. Did 2 restarts after the update is completed, and it was working fine.

Haven't used the laptop after that though...

20. paulderdash

Not having that issue now on my (secondary) Win 10 AU 1607 laptop. But I do not have ESET.
    Though it does appear to 'struggle' to restart and establish a wi-fi connection on boot ... may be my imagination.

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks.

It looks like internet connection in whatever manner (cable, wi-fi, mobile network) is the problem.

22. harsha_mic

I will check mine which vendor are they from tonight. Also, i think i am using the stock drivers from Windows 10.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, I have a HUAWEI Mobile Broadband Module, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM, if it matters.

24. paulderdash

I can confirm that the WU (setting 2) policy is applied, even though the 'Some settings are managed by your organization' does not appear and that it states updates will be applied automatically.

Seems like a bug.

Just got a MSRT and Cumulative Update in 1607 and received a notification to download as per policy.

25. paulderdash

I also have Intel Wireless-N 7260 on the laptop that won't restart in AU. Could that be it then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.