Window 7 or Windows 8

Discussion in 'polls' started by max2, Oct 6, 2013.

?

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

1. Windows 7

65.4%
  2. Windows 8

34.6%
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

Interesting observation ? Do you use a SSD at all ?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nope, i dont have an SSD but i do have a Western Digital Velociraptor as my main HDD. Doesnt really matters since i ran Windows 7 on the same HDD for almost a year before switching.

Boot time and shutdown time also improved significantly compared to Windows 7. It probably takes half or less, than what it took on Windows 7. (Not sure about the exact times though)

3. max2

max2 Registered Member

Ok thanks.

Do you have as much installed on Windows 8 64 bit as you did Windows 7 64 bit ?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Good question. I think these things are mainly hardware-dependent. The only way to compare is to use exactly the same hardware.

I have a new latptop with Windows 8. I haven´t noticed any increase in "responsiveness", not even in boot time, compared with my 4-year old desktop with Windows 7.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I usually run the same software.
    Same security setup, same productivity software and a couple games.
    I probably have more things installed now than what i had in W7 BUT i dont think they affect the system performance at all. (Steam, Origin and some random software)

I did notice a difference in speed. For some reason W7 always got slower over time in my PC. (One or two months)

6. guest

guest Guest

The most important parts to me are the reset option and this.

7. max2

max2 Registered Member

Interesting!

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

7 all the way. 8's nothing but a stillborn imo.

9. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Just for the heck of it and for testing I put windows 8 64bit pro on one of the pcs and tested some backup and imaging softwares. keriver 1 click restore failed badly. the new windows 8 backup imaging apps by slimware failed big time. AVG IS gave errors once in a while and asks for sending it to AVG.

A bunch of other stuff. After many testing and search finally found a imaging/backup apps that workd in win 8 64bit called aoemei backupper and macrium free and comodo IS so far working.

Now I do not know how well these will work if win 8 crash and hopefully they will.

Anyway windows 7 is more stable and compatible.

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Since I have not used Win 8 to date the only knowledge I have of it is what is I read, plus the feedback of those that use it and posted their experience(s). I am not one to quickly jump on the newest bandwagon to hit the street. I'll observe and watch as things shake out. That said, I am quite content with XP and Win 7.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Give it a try. ;)

12. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I updated to 8.1 this week, and so far so good, quicker than 8.

13. starcraft

starcraft Registered Member

7 for sure. This is why I have 8 in my home pc not my main laptop. I heard that 8.1 is much faster, but its immaturity stops me from updating my present OS. :p

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The new laptop that i bought a week ago cold boots in like 5 secs or less with Win 8. (Still havent updated to 8.1)

15. tancrackers

tancrackers Registered Member

I like Windows 8 more. I'm probably the only person who likes the Metro interface; I find it clean and pleasant to see.
    The whole OS is much smoother than any version of Windows I've ever used.

16. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

voted win8, actually am on 8.1

Don't worry, i would be another person who actually likes metro :) (use it for mail,netflix,hulu,weather <configured 3 cities i need most and set large tile, always get the information just looking at the tile>)

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No you are not the only one, I personally think it is one of the most interesting features of Windows 8.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Updated the laptop to Windows 8.1 a few days ago. Everything fine so far. :D

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Registered Member

Windows 7. :thumb:
    You can keep buggy Win 8. :thumbd:

20. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Win 7 ... no contest! I'd go Mac or Linux before I'd use Win 8.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Is 8.1 faster than 8? What do you find 8.1 better in than Win 8?

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well i dont have the laptop as of now. I actually purchased it for someone else but i had it for the first couple days to update Windows, drivers and install some essential things like EAM and other things.
    Anyways, for the short period of time that i used Windows 8.1 i didnt notice any difference at all, probably because it runs on an SSD.

23. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I will stay with Windows 7 as long as possible and will try to skip Windows 8 as I did with Vista. I just hope next version will be "good" again. Otherwise I will have to switch to Linux. :doubt:

24. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

this site below explains differences between 8 and 8.1 well along with pros and cons, perhaps this has been already listed at other parts of this forum..

Windows 8.1 Review at winsupersite.com

Whats better in Win 8.1 than 8 to me -
    - Metro apps run reliably better, i believe they use IE rendering engine, which should help to improve each of the metro apps performance.
    - IE 11 Metro is lot better than IE 10 Metro. Now when you open attachments in mail app, the attachment opens side by side of the mail app.
    - Not sure if 8 got IE11, if not then its another plus for 8.1
    - If you do not want metro to be seen, it is doable on 8.1 with out 3rd party tools.
    - Smart search is better for me. It brings the local system setting better than it used to do 8

The feature i wish to have it 8.1 was, if a picture attachment opened in metro app it should open in metro photo app and if it was opened thru desktop, it should open in regular photo app. Let me know if some one knows how to do it.. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  25. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I recently made this decision, grabbing myself a disc for when XP's EOL comes and I ultimately no longer feel safe using it. I went with Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit.

I've heard too many stories about backdoors in 8, and I'm not a fan of handheld type OS's on a desktop computer. I like the look & feel of XP, and feel 7 will give me an experience closer to that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.