WinAntivirus2009

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by briwlls, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

Marcos, I'm sorry if you thought I was promoting a third party program. I was just stating a fact.

Two posts up is the post "I've been considering moving over to KAV ...".

I guess you should chastise Doogie for promoting KAV?

2. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

:rolleyes: Hardly promoting KAV but I know what you are saying.
    Problem is that different AV products will always have their strengths and weaknesses. It just comes down to the fact that forums by their very nature will always have peeps posting problems and whinges.
    It's very rare to read a thread with the subject "This product is amazing".

So I still think that NOD32 is right at the top but I'll always be on the lookout for something better.
    Up to now I haven't found one.

3. lourensz777

lourensz777 Registered Member

Hey All,

As a ESET re-seller I have been also getting these threats coming through too and customers asking why are these viruses getting through. The only answer I have to them is Antivirus software isn't 100% virus free.

I have noticed that these viruses seem to have seasons. They are in the dark for a moment in time with no problems or infections then all of a sudden multiple computers are infected. I have had quite a few last month and this month.

The program that has worked for me is Freeware and has been mentioned earlier. I have noticed that when running a scan with the program and threats are found NOD then pops up with a message regarding the infection that had just been found by the freeware program.

I have noticed that Internet Explorer is prone to getting infections with this virus//malware. Firefox being more safer. The use of limited accounts also assists. OpenDNS helping further more as sites that have content where the virus could be situated can be blocked.

Overall NOD has been very reliable with other viruses and haven't had any problems. This virus being the only one that I have come across that NOD hasn't been able to fix.

Thanks,

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Three if you count the PC user and he's/she's probably the most important when it comes to the security of their own computer.

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey all,

Even when I'm not saying ESET NOD32 v.3.0.672 is the best AV I've ever used before, I have to say that as a user of this AV solution on both desktop PC and laptop, neither have got hit by a computer virus and/or spyware.

Why and how is that possible?

Well, I would respond to this saying that it has to do with my surfing habits, and the way I use my computers.

I'm amazed to see so many people coming to post here that their computer were hit by Winantivirus 2008/2009 and then blame NOD32 by not saving their day when the ONLY ones to blame are themselves.

Unless, you are trying to prove if NOD32 really works and go to those shady web sites to get infected and test if NOD32 whether removes the virus.
    That's very BOLD behavior and I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.

Then, my question stands : Why haven't I been hit by Winantivirus 2008/2009? (One important thing before you start criticizing is I'm not a newbie on the Internet. I've been using PCs since Windows 3.11 days through Windows Vista).

Don't blame NOD32 or other AVs, but examine yourselves and ask yourselves how and why did your PC get infected with virus XYZ in the first place.

Best regards,

Carlos

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You mean ESET SysInspector ? ;) :p

7. John2222

I am still offended and confused by your comment.

Is this comment (below) denegrating KAV ok? You can't help someone by suggesting a solution, but you can make negative judgments about competitive products?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207359&page=14

Re: 100% CPU Usage

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Will you cry less if I edit in some proof links backing up my statement?

9. John2222

Elapsed, no need. I agree with you that NOD32 is better than KAV.

I'm just concerned that we aren't allowed to mention other software according to Marcos. (I understand that this forum is not an advertising forum, and I wasn't trying to do that previously either.)

My previous quote was this:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's important to realize the ESET support forums are a collaborative effort between ESET and Wilders Security Forums.

The forum was designed to help users of ESET Software.

It wasn't designed to spur debates on "better" programs to solve problems, as subjective as that may be. It is designed to help ESET and users of their software define problems and seek possible solutions.

Understand that there will always be those that offer no help and promote other products. This is neither helpful to ESET or other users.

Helpful posts that are on topic are always welcome here. Off topic posts that do nothing more than turn a thread into a mudslinging match should be reported.

11. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I am regularly cleaning Winantivirus from computers. Nod32 does not reliably detect or clean this virus & I would use MBAM to clean, or to protect against it use Firefox + MBAM or Prevx. Nod32 is best used as part of a defence layer, not as the sole protection for a computer.

12. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

No antivirus can be the first defence layer ...

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Before blaming the end users....realize how this trojan spreads. Sure there are the common avenues such as P2P/torrent networks, and the fake video codecs, or directly downloading the rogue cleaner.

But...another growing method of infecting end users...is to "poison" legit websites. They can hack into some legit websites and inject their code...causing a "drive by" installation. I have had a user at an accounting firm get hit by one...by going to a website they hit several times a week as part of their business. Unfortunately this website they use requires Internet Exploader. NOD32 seemed to stop the full installation of it..but her system still had some stuff installed which I cleaned out.

Also important...the writers of the trojan (often ZLob) that most of these rogue AV products (XPAV2009, Defender2008, Search and Destroy 5.2, etc) are powered by...are releasing sometimes SEVERAL (3, 4, 5, even 6) new variants PER DAY. This means AV and AS vendors have a huge task ahead of them.

This also means you have to continually use a shotgun approach in cleaning them. Just because your AV product may have stopped an installation yesterday, or just because you managed to clean a system yesterday using //this// tool...if you come across an infection later that day..or the next day...it's most likely a different variant. So whatever stopped it or cleaned it yesterday may not be able to do the same.

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

About 700 unique FakeAlert files received via ThreatSense.Net today :) Not taking into account those detected as Kryptik/Statik. So you can imagine how much load it is for antivirus companies to deal with such stuff.

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I just cleaned a clients computer of this pest.

NOD32 v2.7 and SuperAntispyware both detected and removed files and reg entries with no problems. The BHO was also removed without problems.

Additional scans showed no signs of the program or leftovers.

After reboot, currently showing no signs of "infection".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.