Winaero Tweaker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Jul 31, 2016.

1. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.11 Released (August 03, 2018)
    Announcement
    Download

2. Special

Special Registered Member

Anyone else getting and error when you select "Manage Bookmarks"?

3. guest

guest Guest

A new version which fixes this bug is now available:
    Winaero Tweaker v0.11.1 Released (August 03, 2018)
    Download

4. Special

Special Registered Member

yup, fixed.

5. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.11.2 Released (August 06, 2018)
    Download

6. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.12 Released (October 03, 2018)
    Announcement
    Download

7. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.12.1 Released (October 24, 2018)
    Announcement
    Download

8. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.14 Released (March 6, 2019)
    Announcement
    Download

9. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.15 Released (June 24, 2019)
    Announcement
    Download
    Fixes for Windows 10 version 1903
    Improvements and fixes for other Windows versions
    • When you disable/remove the Quick Access icon from the navigation pane of File Explorer, it should not break the drag-and-drop action for the left pane.
    • The "Keep Thumbnail Cache" feature now works for 32-bit apps running on a 64-bit Windows version.
    • The 'Elevated Shortcut' feature should not suffer from being opened on high-DPI screens and render its contents correctly.
    New Features

10. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.15.1 Released (June 26, 2019)
    Announcement
    Download

11. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.16 Released (November 11, 2019)
    Announcement
    Download
    Fixed bugs
    • App crashes when you type [ or ' in the search box.
    • The "Make network computers visible" checkbox doesn't remember its state.
    • The Open Windows Defender Settings button opens the Documents folder on 1909+.
    • The Take Ownership command doesn't respect symbolic links (missing the /skipsl argument).
    • The Windows Experience Index doesn't use separator defined in user's regional settings.
    Improvements
    • The search now includes the parent category's name, so you can quickly tell what tweak you are going to open.
    • The App mode/Windows mode context menu now has icons.
    • I have added a lower value limit to the number of simultaneously selected files in File Explorer. Setting it to 0 would broke File Explorer, so Tweaker won't allow you to harm the shell any more.
    New features
    Automatic Registry backup
    Starting in Windows 1803, Microsoft has turned off the automatic registry backup feature by default, so the operating system doesn't create automatic backup copies of registry hives any more. Winaero Tweaker allows you to re-enable this feature in order to have a working copy of Windows 10 registry.
    Context menu
    The ability to remove the "Print" context menu command.
    The Edit context menu entry for images
    In modern Windows versions, File Explorer includes the Edit command in the context menu for images. If you right-click an image, and select Edit, the image will be opened in Microsoft Paint. Now you can change the app for the Edit command and replace it with an image editor of your choice using Winaero Tweaker.
    Restart the Start menu
    A new feature will allow you to add the "Restart the Start menu" context menu command to restart the Start menu process in recent Windows 10 versions.
    Project Display
    If you have multiple displays or an external projector, you might find it useful to add a special context menu to quickly switch mode for multiple displays in Windows 10.
    Advanced startup
    You can create a special Desktop context menu to reboot the OS quickly and launch the Advanced Startup Options (troubleshooting options).
    This is very useful if you have some issue that you cannot fix in the regular Windows 10 environment, for example, you may need to overwrite or delete some in-use files.
    Open with for *.bat and *.cmd files
    Batch files do not have the “Open With” option in Windows 10. You can add the “Open With” entry to the context menu of BAT files using a new option in Winaero Tweaker.
    This can be done with one click.

12. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.16.1 Released (December 19, 2019)
    Announcement
    Download
    What's new in Winaero Tweaker 0.16.1
    I have rewritten the 'Disable Windows Update' option from scratch once again. Now it [again] reliable disables updates in Windows 10. Let me know if you have issues with disabling updates, especially if you have Windows 10 version 1903/1909.

I have changed the user interface of the 'Disable Windows Defender' option. It is now just a checkbox that reflects the current feature state. Many users find the previous implementation with command buttons not obvious and confusing.

For Windows 7 users, I've added a new option to disable the full screen 'End of Support' notification.

13. guest

guest Guest

Windows Defender incorrectly flagged Winaero Tweaker as HackTool
    April 10, 2020
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...orrectly-flagged-winaero-tweaker-as-hacktool/
    Winaero: Microsoft Defender Flags Winaero Tweaker in Windows 10

14. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Can windows defender be removed or disabled?

15. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.17 Released (May 6, 2020)
    Announcement
    Download
    Fixes in this release
    • Spotlight image grabber now displays the preview pictures again.
    • 'Disable thumbnails' for the taskbar is now fixed, it finally works.
    • Fixed 'Increase taskbar transparency' which has stopped working in 1903 or so.
    • Fixed 3 day task termination for the 'Elevated Shortcut' feature. I was very surprised to get such a bug report, had no idea that someone has elevated tasks running for days.
    • A fix for the 'Telemetry' option which could leave the service disabled if you decided to re-enable this Windows 10 feature.
    Changed behavior
    • The 'Disable Defender' feature now warns you about 'Tamper Protection'. If Tamper Protection is enabled, Windows Defender won't allow third-party apps to change its settings. If you need to disable Defender, you must disable Tamper Protection first.
    • I no longer compile Winaero Tweaker with .NET 3.5. This change only affects some of Windows 7 users who have no .NET 4 installed. Once you install .NET 4, Winaero Tweaker will work as usual. I am not going to drop Windows 7 support, but I am fed up with .NET 3.5.
    New features

Run as Trusted Installer

I don't think that this feature needs to be introduced. Please use carefully!
    Hide pages of the Settings app
    You can now hide pages of the Settings app, of your choice.
    The code behind this option is shared with the Settings cascading menu option. I have also updated the list of pages to the actual list of pages.
    Battery Life Estimated Time
    Once you enable this option, Windows 10 will show a tooltip for the battery icon with the device's estimated battery life, expressed in hours and minutes, in addition to the percentage which is calculated in real-time.
    Repair Windows Image context menu
    Adds a special entry to the Desktop context menu to repair the corrupted component store with one click when needed.
    Sfc Scannow Context Menu
    The sfc /scannow command is a well known way to do an integrity check of all Windows 10 system files. sfc.exe is the System File Checker tool which can be helpful in many scenarios and fix various issues with Windows 10. You can now add a special context menu entry to launch it directly with one click.
    Environment Variables Context Menu
    Environment variables in an operating system are values that contain information about the system environment, and the currently logged in user. By adding a special context menu, you'll be able to see and change them quickly.
    Add Classic Desktop Background to Control Panel
    If you are not satisfied by the new way to tune up your OS appearance in Settings, you might be interested in adding the classic Desktop Background applet back to the Control panel.
    Add Classic Color and Appearance to Control Panel
    Similarly to the feature above, you can add the classic color dialog back to the classic Control Panel in Windows 10.

16. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.17.1 Released (May 21, 2020)
    Announcement
    Download
    Export Specific Firewall Rules
    A number of users have reported that the newer algorithm fails to disable updates in Home editions of Windows 10. In version 0.17.1, I am using the legacy method for Home editions, and the newer one for Pro editions, so everything should work now as expected.

New feature - User Auto Logon Checkbox for Windows 10 version 2004
    A new option, 'Enable User Auto Logon Checkbox', can be found under 'Boot & Logon'. It does the simple trick - enables the missing 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this PC ' checkbox.
    The new option makes the checkbox appear for both Microsoft and local accounts.
    Thanks a lot to our reader 'Jardos' who contributed the solution!

17. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.18 Released (October 25, 2020)
    Announcement
    Download
    Windows 10 version 20H2 support
    Winaero Tweaker now supports Windows 10 version 20H2 properly. (I hope) It is now able to differentiate version 2004, and version 20H2.
    Disable Web Search in Windows 10 Taskbar in version 2004/20H2
    Following the recent changes made by Microsoft, I have updated the appropriate option in Winaero Tweaker. Now you can use it to disable web results in Windows Search.
    Customize rows and columns in the classic Alt+Tab switcher
    You can now change the number of icon rows and columns displayed by the classic Alt+Tab dialog when you enable it. This feature works in all supported Windows versions by Tweaker, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
    Change what App Keys do for the keyboard
    One more new feature available for all the supports Windows versions - the ability to change the action for extra buttons available on many modern keyboards, such as Calculator, Computer, Browser, Mail, and so on.
    Default apps context menu
    This new feature adds the "Default apps" page of Settings to the context menu (details can be found here). This can be useful for checking your default app associations quickly.
    Remove Share with Skype
    Winaero Tweaker now allows removing the Share with Skype context menu entry.
    Create shortcut to a PS1 file that runs is directly
    There is a new shortcut tool in version 0.18 that allows saving your precious time by creating a shortcut that will directly launch a PS1 file. The shortcut target will run the PS interpreter with -NoExit and -ExecutionPolicy Bypass options, so use it careful.

Fixes
    There is also a number of various issues resolved in this release. Most notable are.
    • Fixed the broken update check. No idea when it started to happen, but it was caused by a combination of my legacy code and recent web site changes. I've refreshed the update check routine.
    • Fixed wrong "how this tweak works" links in a number of Tweaker options.

18. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.19 Released (January 20, 2021)
    Announcement
    Download
    Toolbar
    The user interface of Winaero Tweaker is always subject to improvements. First of all, I have updated the toolbar, so it looks better on HiDPI screens.
    Navigation history
    There are plenty of Winaero Tweaker users who always ask for the "navigation history" option in the app. Well, I have implemented it.
    Recent changes
    The Recent changes option is a new feature of Winaero Tweaker that lists the tweaks you have applied, arranged by the modification time.
    The information page
    Finally, there is one more minor change. The Information page of Winaero Tweaker now includes Windows edition and its build number.
    Now, let's see which tweaks are new to version 0.19.

New tweaks

All the below tweaks are supposed to work in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7. [...]

19. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker v0.19.1 Released (January 22, 2021)
    Announcement
    Download

20. david banner

Is there an option to turn off s mode. i am buying a new laptop which has "Windows 10 Home in S Mode" but want to get out of S mode. I know I can do that anyway but i will have the tweaker to restore the win 7 start menu

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I absolutely still use and will never part with Winaero Legacy standalone Drag n Drop!

If you find yourself needing a quick slide files/folders instead of the old copy/paste this app is 21st Century standard.

https://winaero.com/dragndrop-editor/ is superseded with this app now though.

I am a staunch hold out with 8.1 which remains stable and is a powerhouse, secured, and no spy happy telemetry or constant update mess.

But im glad to see he has Windows 10 fully implemented for when the inevitable buying a new machine will have that crappy 10 to customize all over again.

Thanks Winaero.

22. david banner

why can i not disable start up sounds in win 10. The option is not in appearance but it is in win 7. I found another way but wonder why the option is not under win 10

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  23. guest

guest Guest

Winaero Tweaker 1.20 Released (June 29, 2021)
    Winaero Tweaker 1.20 is out with Windows 11 support and tons of new features
    Download

24. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

This is a great program though i never use it. Do not have the need.
    In the future i may do if it can take full control over the task bar and change what Ms is implementing for the upcoming W11.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.