WIN98SE: "restore registry/reboot, restore reg., reboot..."

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Have recently had, once too often to suit me, upon rebooting a "issue" arises wherein the OS decides to fix and restore my reg. and tells me to reboot and when I do reboot I am again told that the OS will restore a good reg. backup and I should reboot, and when I do...
    Well, a relative said this is about the #3 or #4 most asked item in an MS database on how to fix things, but why's this happen?
    This PC is maintained pretty well: I don't do upgrades for this and that just for the fun of it; I've read too many horror stories about updating the OS or browser, so I don't do that, period. I also don't get carried away w/installing a lot of software; while I've downloaded my fair share of items I have, I think, prudently tried a program or two at a time for just long enough to see if I like it or wish to buy it.
    Soooooooo, any "gear heads" out there, care to hazard a guess about where the trouble lies re restore/reboot cycle that I sometimes run into?
    Thanks for any help/info, --SG1 (Pat)

2. root

root Registered Member

What that tells me is that something is making registry entries that are not valid. The computer shuts down and saves the new registry version. On reboot, while loading drivers, os, programs, etc, Windows finds a registry entry that does not compute. So, it says, well the last registry was ok, so I'll go back to that.
    Typically something like this can be caused by a bad program uninstall or a program that is writing crap to your registry every time you run it.
    Have you tried running jv16 Power Tools Reg cleaner? Perhaps you could try compacting the registry.
    It would help to know if this happens every time you reboot or does it happen only after running a certain program?
    Unless someone knows a common cause for this, it looks like a process of trying to eliminate all possible culprits, one at a time.
    Also did this just start happening? Right after installing something, maybe?

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Root;
    Happens periodically, for a while now (and quite often today). It is a "bit vexing" to say the least, as this PC has really been very stable overall for a long time. I can't figure out what the "burp" is, every so often with the 'puter.
    Don't suppose a Hijack log file would help, were I to post it? (I did get the program you mentioned, but am not quite familiar with it yet; cleaning the Reg. can cause a lot of grief), if not done w/great care...

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi SG1,

I'd be happy to have a look at your HT log. Make sure to get the latest version please. Who knows if we can solve it from the data in there.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.