Win95 (Low resource) Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by polo, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

Any recommendations for one for home, dial-up modem. Am IT savvy but never used a firewall yet.

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi polo! You might try this:

Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15

Based on the award winning, ICSA-certified WinRoute Pro security technology, Tiny Personal Firewall is an easy-to-use, affordable software firewall that prevents unauthorized access and offers security for computer and personal files. Tiny Personal Firewall offers low, normal, high and maximum-security settings all through its easy-to-use, simplistic user interface. The Personal Firewall is also an integral part of the Tiny Software Centrally Managed Desktop Security (CMDS) system. Tiny Personal Firewall is available FREE for home use. Business and institutional customers are encouraged to download the software to evaluate for a 30-day trial period. Tiny Personal Firewall will not function properly if it is installed on a computer using WinRoute or Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing. It is compatible with Windows® 9x, ME, 2000, NT 3.x,NT 4.x.

BrotherSoft Freeware

Best regards

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

If you want to go for a rule based firewall Like Tiny 2x, I highly suggest you go for Kerio 2.15 as its 99.5% the same program. They were the same developers who made the Tiny 2x firewall.
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf2-en-win.exe

Tiny 2x has known security issues, and has not been updated in YEARS...

If you need something simple go for an early version of Zone Alarm.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Do you need a firewall o_O

Don't get me wrong, but Win95 usually runs on low spec machines, every byte is valuable. Most firewalls are resource hogs.
    As long you don't run any services that you publish on the internet (well, win95 :D), don't use a firewall. Better switch from IE and OE (known security problem creators) to other tools...
    In fact you can't secure win9x, but that's another issue.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, that's how I run my old Win95 system when ever I haul it out and hook it up. It's a very weak system and only has a 56K dialup. It runs no services since I unbound NetBIOS from TCP/IP. (Though later I ended up renaming c:\windows\system\vnbt.386 to totally ensure it was disabled and the NetBIOS related ports were closed.)

The only thing missing then is any outbound control that such a firewall would provide. But people's opinions will vary on whether you really need that, especially if you have safe computing habits and run a good AV product.

Still Kerio 2.15 is supposed to be incredibly light, so it couldn't hurt to use that. Even an old version of ZAP (like 2.6) still uses a bit of system resources, processing power and memory. If your system is really old and under powered, it may be a bit too much.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

When I had my win95 i found Look n stop to be the easiest and lightest . (apart from not having one and closing all ports )

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Outpost Free is what I ran on my Win95, & still run on my WinME box.

OP-free is very easy on system resources. Hit: Windows key + break, then click "Performance." By that means you will see true critical system resource usage.

OP free is ~1% sys rscs, plus 3.4Mb ram.

Available at...
    THIS url

aloha......bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.