Win95 firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by polo, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

What's the simplest firewall for an old Win 95 P120 machine, low resources, small clean install for a newbie. Should it be rule or application based?

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/compare.html

There's a list here, I noticed output isn't reviewed at wilders?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Main question: are you familiar with rule sets?

Planned as soon as all bugs have been ironed out ;)

regards.

paul

3. polo

polo Guest

Are rule sets like filtering rules in email clients?!? I can use PCs, virus scanners, do a bit of coding, etc not novice to computers/IT but am to firewalls.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Polo, Fortunately most rules based firewall have good support forums with readily available rulesets that you can then "grow" into - BTW good luck with your search :D

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Not exactly the same ;) Looking at your credentials, I would give LooknStop a try - visit the (English) support forum over on this board. Seems to match your wishes ;)

regards.

paul

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I may be possibly mistaking but I thought Outpost only Supported Microsoft Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, 2000, and XP & and required Pentium2 or faster…?!?!?

And polo; I don’t see why you cant have both Application Filtering Layer & Packet Filtering Layer when using Look ‘n’ Stop Personal Firewall which is one of the most easiest on System Resources.

In any condition I wish you well in finding a Software Firewall you most comfortable with. ;)

7. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Phant0m,

I installed OP Free on a Win95.

Like KPF which also runs on Win95 but as Win95 is not any longer supported by µ$oft, there are no support from the devs, I reckon.

Rgds,

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Yea what I meant is that the Software Firewall Vendors doesn’t Support Microsoft Windows 95 and if you encounter any anomalies they will not provide any assistance if they know you Win95 user. And this being so, I wouldn’t use products especially Software Firewall products that don’t support the users Operating System.

9. root

root Registered Member

Some people are still using Outpost with Win95, but as already said, it is not officially supported by Agnitum.
    I know there is a problem with shut down and there is one other significant problem that I can't remember.
    If I had 95, I think I would go for @Guard. :D

Not for the newbies though. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.