Win7 & UAC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

While I understand the importance of Win7's UAC, it does become a drag having to approve the very same trusted programs everytime I open them! So I'd like to learn how you guys deal with this operational nuissance.

Do you use and recommend any of the 'Smart UAC' alternative programs?

Cruise

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Heck! How many programs do you use that require administrator privileges all the time? :eek:

Anyway, if you're running under a protected administrator account, you could make use of scheduled tasks to elevate those apps, and then use shortcuts to bypass UAC.

Search the forum or your favorite search engine, and you'll find some examples that will show you how to achieve it.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Imho, UAC is already weak enough without trying to find ways around it yourself. What all are you running that needs Admin permission? I can only think of a handful of programs that would even need it, like system tools.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

HitmanPro, MBAM, Acronis & Public DNS Tool are a few on my pc that ask.
    VIPRE doesn't. for some reason.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No and No.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Those make sense, and yeah, a lot of AV software doesn't ask.

7. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Cruise,

I looked high and wide for a smarter Win7 UAC tool and finally found -http://www.itknowledge24.com/downloads/uac-trust-shortcut.php- this nifty program. It does the job for me. :thumb:

TS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Personally I don't use UAC at all on my machine. I got root. I use other means to security. UAC is just one mechanism, not the only mechanism.

When someone asks the questions like the OP, invariably many will ask "what do you do that you need root for?". Answer is easy - I use my computer for something other than a word processor and mail reader. If you want to do anything other than run software, you need root (this implies tweaking the OS or hardware related issues, etc etc). Whether you do that often enough to stop using UAC, that is more of a personal choise.

I don't believe there is anything yet that the OP is looking for, on win7. The norton tool on vista worked pretty well. IMO win7 needs something like that, to whitelist what you want to run, but it also needs a toggle on/off so that you can use UAC when you aren't messing with the OS, and toggle your common root applications when you are.

Sul.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's not a good idea to hack your operating system at any time much less with unknown software.

They state this as well.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

UAC, even on Vista isn't that much of a pain for me. I think only MBAM & SpywareBlaster invoke it on my notebook desktop. It's a bit of a pain when I have to reboot/switch-off UAC to reapply Fanboy's adblock list for Iron. The way things are going with Iron I may be replacing it with Maxthon 3 as my WebKit back-up browser. Although I'll miss that SRWare adblocker!

11. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I use Winpatrol.....surely it does the same job but without the constant grinding irritation?

12. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I don't see any risk in using the program I referenced in post #7 as long as you are certain about the safety of the programs for which you use it! Using it for my 'everday programs' which I totally trust, I am no longer annoyed with the UAC popup, etc.

TS

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Why on earth do you need UAC to change ad-blocking? I think I'd be asking what SRWare is doing behind the scenes that needs UAC for such a trivial thing.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's a good question :). When you update Iron from its installer it wipes the previous filter list. There have been hints of implementing a way not to waste the list for years from SRWare Iron. IDK what's happening with it. o_O

I think that it is more of a Vista/7 thing to be honest. If I remember correctly I had to disable the UAC to paste Fanboy's list into Opera's .ini adblock file. Which I think has now disappeared in the Opera browser. In fact, I recall discussing this, & the fact that Opera ASA keep altering it's .ini file, on Fanboy's forum a couple of years ago. This constant changing of Opera's adblocking file was a great cause of consternation to Fanboy & anyone else trying to make an adblocking filter list for it.

I don't think that the SRWare guys are up to any tinfoil hat skullduggery, but there again, who knows? ;)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  15. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

The first thing I do when I format my system is disable UAC!

I hate it so much and it has never done any good..

I have Kaspersky Internet Security + MBAM Pro + SAS on demand and that's more than enough to keep me secure

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

If UAC is annoying you during your day to day usage (not admin/config tasks) you are using software th\t is using excessive admin rights and UAC is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

Cheers, Nick

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is very true.

However, it is quite possible to have day to day useage that requires root that is not admin/config tasks, nor even tweaking/hacking the OS. (note: hacking as in "hacking on", not "hacking as in RE", big difference). I am living proof of this, as I do things, literally every day, that require root. Yet most of it is not really "admining" the system.

But your statement is exceedingly accurate in most cases.

Sul.

18. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Wouldn't SuRun offer a workaround with elevating user rights, so that it wouldn't be needed to disable UAC?

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I fined UAC extremely annoying, so I have it disabled.

I install (and uninstall) new software reguarly - sometimes even seven days a week. I'm guessing a lot (maybe even most) of these installs will cause a UAC prompt. Also a lot of software I use such a as drive update software will also cause UAC prompts.

I've always run my laptop with UAC disabled, ever since I started using Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.