Win7 Parental Controls + "Run as Admin" = fail?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gullible Jones, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just discovered Win7's Parental Controls, which allow EXE whitelisting. w00t!

I figured I could run as a limited user with the whitelist in place, and elevate to admin for installing software. So I switch to my new user, download Firefox, try to run it, and of course it's blocked by Parental Controls.

So I then right-click, select "Run as administrator", enter my administrator password in the resulting window...

And nothing happens.

I don't mean I get another Parental Controls blocking message. I mean NOTHING happens. No installer, no pop-up window, nothing. Switching user to my administrator reveals that nothing launched on the administrator's desktop either, and Process Hacker shows no installer processes running.

Is this behavior a bug? Is there a fix for it? Because I cannot see how it could possibly be useful. (e.g. if a kid knows the Admin password and can try to install software this way, he could also just log in as Admin!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.