WIN32/Iperf.a application??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mladen, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mladen

mladen Registered Member

Hi,
    a few days ago (after update on 6th of February) NOD32 started detecting Iperf application as Win32/Iperf.a application threat. Could somebody tell me why this could be the problem? Is it a false alarm? This application is a commonly used network tool and if it is a threat, there is no explanation why. The only place with this information in http://www.eset.com/support/updates.php?pageno=6 and nothing else. There is no information on this page http://www.eset.com/threat-center/encyclopedia/index/w
    Thanks in advance.
    Mladen

2. EwoutB

EwoutB Registered Member

Found the same thing. It is stuck in some old system restore point. Don't really want to delete old restore points over this.

Had at one time a very similar thing with a game demo that I downloaded quite some time earlier (and that run perfectly). Apparently this feature of NOD32 generates some false positives.

And yes, I also downloaded iperf at some time. But whether this is the same thing. I don't know.

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Not only this application, but others are detected, too. They are in category Potentially unsafe applications, which is disabled by default.

4. EwoutB

EwoutB Registered Member

Ok, thanks disabled the option for potentially unsafe applications in any place where I could find it. Inspected my logfile. It is indeed iperf.exe that was deleted (but obviously still stuck in restore files).

By the way, there is also an option for potentially unwanted applications

5. mladen

mladen Registered Member

Thanks for the answers. I asked this because iperf.exe is not a new application and I was wondering what happened with NOD that now it is detected as a threat and not before this update.

Anyway, thanks.

Regards,
    Mladen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.