Win2K Network archive problems

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Packy, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packy

Packy Registered Member

General Notes:
    - I’ve looked thru all the posts and I couldn’t find anyone else who has had this same problem. If this issue has already been posted/resolved I apologize in advance.
    - I am using ISR Version 3.10
    - This problem doesn’t happen on Windows 2003 (Verified on another network)
    - This Problem didn’t happen under earlier releases of ISR (In my personal experience V3.3)

Problem 1: I cannot set up and Alternate archive location across my network from LAB. When I supply network drive credentials I get, “Error, A required privilege is not held by the client

Problem 2: I cannot EXPORT to a network drive from the ISR GUI.

Before we get started: I have full network connectivity. I can map network drives between both computers, I can ping, and can do anything you should be able to do across the network (Whether using WINS or IP).

Background: This problem didn’t exist as of ISR Version 3.3. The problem only started happening when I upgraded to version 3.10. My network is a completely Win2K shop (Prof/Server). The network is set up as a workgroup. There are no Domain controllers anywhere. I am running ISR on a computer named “LAB”. LAB is a Win2K Server OS. I want to send an archive to a computer called “FILESERVER”. FILESERVER is a Win2K Prof OS. On FILESERVER, there are 2 disks. One is an 80GB disk with 3 partitions (C, D, E), and one is a 120GB disk with 1 Partition (F). The partition I will be using to store the archives is F (120GB free), which has been set up to be Shared, and the permissions for this share are wide open (the Everyone Group has full access [Full Control, Change, and Read are checked]). LAB is the only computer on the network that has ISR installed.

When setting the “Alternate Archive Location” under the TOOLS >> OPTIONS >> ARCHIVE section, I give a network drive of \\FILESERVER\F, but when I go to set the credentials for the remote drive I ALWAYS receive a message saying “A required privilege is not held by the client”.

*** NOTE *** Both LAB and FILESERVER have been provisioned with the Administrator (Default Admin account Created by windows) account having the same password on both systems (less variables this way in a workgroup environment) and of course being a part of the Administrators Group.

I have tried giving ISR the drive location/credentials w/o having the drive mapped, and also with the drive being mapped. Either way, I still receive the credential problem.

*** Something that DOES work ***
    I dropped into the ISR Commandline using the ISRControl.exe program on LAB (The system with ISR installed on it), and issued the following commands:
    Ø user Administrator [My Password] [ENTER]
    Ø export FreshWin2K \\fileserver\F\blah [ENTER]

This successfully exported my “FreshWin2K” snapshot to the remote drive. I find it interesting that the USER command for the ISRControl.exe program will work, but when you do the exact same thing in the ISR GUI (TOOLS >> EXPORT SNAPSHOT…) and the GUI prompts you for the network credential…it doesn’t work.

Some other interesting things:
    - When I looked thru my Log files (TOOLS >> VIEW ACTIVITY LOGS), I found that even when I was successful at off loading the snapshot using the cmdline utility there were still errors. Specifically, the “GetDiskFreeSpaceEx” function call. It will error out to “Access Denied”. But this doesn’t stop the utility from completing the EXPORT command and leaving the *.arx file on my remote system.
    - Also, it seems that version 3.10 is the first version to use VSS instead of RSS. I went to the command prompt and navigated to the following directory: c:\$ISR\$APP\Setup. Then I issued a ISRSetup -install -rss, so that 3.10 would be using RSS instead of VSS. Then rebooted, but this didn't fix my problem.

Let me state again that these were not problems in release 3.3 and Please don’t just say to use 3.3 (One of the guys I work with said 3.5 works fine too) – I’d like to see this problem fixed IF it is truly a bug (I also love ISR and what it is capable of and want to see bugs fixed instead of just reverting to 3.3 – And if it is a bug I would like to help the people at ISR resolve it – if it is a bug). So if anyone has any ideas to resolve this problem or duplicate the problem (Is it just my system…or the software?), I would really appreciate it.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Packy,
    I don't understand. If I click on Help/About FirstDefense-ISR, I read :

Product: FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Professional
    Version: 1.05 Build 166

And you are talking about version 3.10 and even 3.30

I bought recently FD-ISR and Raxco gave me an installation-file called "FDISRfw.exe", which is version 1.05 Build 166.
    Are there two different versions of FD-ISR ?

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Perhaps he is using the LeapFrog version?

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually I would guess it's a server version.

Packy, I'd recommend you contact support to get your question answered. I don't think many of us are using it in a server operation.

Pete

5. Packy

Packy Registered Member

Peter is right. I'm using the server version
    Acadia is right. I'm using the Leapfrog version

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

From the leapfrogsoftware.com product updates page:

Notes for Build x.172
    • Fixed a problem where in Windows 2000, setting the Archive or Freeze user/password would fail with: "A required privilege is not held by the client."
    • Fixed problem where if VSS was cancelled during its initialization it would be left in an invalid state and would fail until the computer was rebooted.

7. Packy

Packy Registered Member

Thankyou so much for looking into this wilbertnl! I apprieciate it and look forward to working with you in the future on anything else that might come up.

And as always...ISR Rocks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.