Win2003 won't boot after moving partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jtrax, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtrax

jtrax Registered Member

I have a situation with a Win2003 SBS system. It came with 6 drives in raid 10 on a PERC 5/i with partitions C:, D: and E: plus a 100mb dell partition (fat16). The raid 10 drive is dev0 on the controller.

We are running low on space so I added 2 new drives (drives 6 & 7) in raid 1 with the intent of moving the C: (boot) partition to it and expanding the E: partition for more storage space on the existing raid 10. This shows as dev1 on the controller.

After adding the new raid 1 drive I copied the C: partition to it and then deleted the C: partition on the raid 10 drive. I get the message "invalid boot.ini" and the system will not boot. Using a boot floppy it comes up fine and everything works so I think the data in boot.ini are OK. On a whim I added a copy of the boot.ini file to the Dell partition (now listed as F:) which is the first partition on the raid 10 drive (dev0) and it boots fine.

It appears that it is still trying to boot from the first partition of dev0 rather than dev1.

Any thoughts on how I can get this to boot properly from the new C: drive? It is working but I feel uncomfortable knowing it is looking in the wrong place during the boot sequence.

Thanks,

John

2. ViROID

ViROID Registered Member

Is your new C: partition an active bootable partition? Can you give us a screenshot of your drives, maybe from within the Disk Management console which will show active/inactive partiions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.