WIN XP SP2 Information Bar Alerts

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ajcstr, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

On my daughter's PC, the Windows Information bar alert comes up with EVERY website - very annoying (I think its the activex warning) . I run adaware, spybot, spywareblaster and have Avast Home and Sygate free firewall installed. adaware and spybot return the normal minor stuff, tracking cookies , etc. I compared her security settings to my laptop and they seem to be the same. Sound failiar to anyone? Is a hijack this log in order?

2. rawr

rawr Registered Member

If you're on Windows XP/SP2, are you sure it isn't the pop-up blocker status bar that's appearing?

3. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

I will check - getting on that computer (15 yr old daughter) requires the stealth of a special ops unit :). But even if it is the pop-up blocker - that is the only PC in the house that gets these alerts EVERY time a new page is displayed.

4. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

I checked and it is actually a warning about active content. I have "allow active content to run in files on my computer" unchecked.

***follow-up - I checked "allow active content" and that got rid of the message. I went back and unchecked it, and did not get the message again (I hope I did not let something in).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.