Win XP SP2 CD Available For Free

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

xp sp2 cd?

anyone order the xp sp2 cd yet. I did today I am curious to see how long it takes. I already installed the IT version though.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Re: xp sp2 cd?

On order. :D

3. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks for letting me (and us) know MS "woke up" that order page again. I had it saved in Favorites, but as of only a day or two ago it was still showing only that "check back later this summer" thing.

5. dog

dog Guest

I'll let you know BigC, I've ordered it now ;)

As a reference, when I ordered SP1, I received it in 3 days :eek: ... it was shipped UPS. ;) It's nice to get a little service considering all we have invested in M$. ;)

dog - *puppy*

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Ordered mine to-day....just for the Hell of it......probably use it as Whiskey glass coaster...... :D :D ......coz I think it will be big, black and hairy and I be afeared of it... :D

Cochise, :cool:

7. MikeBCda

Don't know whether dog's 3-day delivery was a freak, but if it winds up more like the 6 to 8 weeks they're quoting, then there should be lots of patches to it available by the time it arrives and you get it installed.

Actually that's a nice way to compromise on the question of whether or not to hold off installing it -- since us dialup users have no choice to speak of but the CD, the delivery delay will give them a chance to work on and issue critical-upgrade patches while we're waiting for delivery. And I imagine it'll be a repeat of SP1, with relatively rare exceptions the patches will be nothing to download & install compared to the main SP.

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

For UK delivery I was told to allow 28 days Mike....that's about normal for these parts...I'm so excited I can hardly wait... :D

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Im on dial up and when i went to windows update yeasterday it told me that sp2 was available for download . I downloaded it and it was 82 .5 MB This took just over 4 hours only. I have heard some say that its 250 MB and more etc . however mine was only 85MB .

10. MikeBCda

I suspect that depends a lot on how up to date your critical upgrades are -- if I understand correctly, the whole 265-meg (or whatever) package includes all previous upgrades, so if you're in good shape with those it apparently cuts the package way down.

I'm impressed, though, with your download time -- my typical connection is at 48K, and while I never really paid attention to actual transfer speed, about 10 megs an hour has been more typical for anything I download.

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Yes it worked out at around 18-20 MB per hour. However I am down under when the northern hemispere is fast a sleep its daylite here . So perhaps less traffic ( not sure whether that really effects it or not ) I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of instalation .There are no issues as far as I am aware .The only thing I found was after instalation my ad watch SE monitor would keep alerting me of untold new additions to the registry and this kept up no matter how many times I gave permission . I had to adjust the ad watch monitor to automatic so as not to be hassled constantly. That sorted it out and every thing is flowing very smoothly. I have emailed for a CD as well . and they said it would be around 4 - 6 weeks also.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have SP1 installed, then the download is only about 80-90mB. Without SP1 then you have the much larger download.

I am very impressed, SPC, that you managed to stay on-line for that amount of time. Did you use a Download manager and Resume?

The most I go for is 10-15mB tops. Any more, my daughter downloads on her cable connection at College and burns to disc!

13. MikeBCda

Interesting -- given the difference, it implies that SP2 (by itself) is quite a bit smaller than SP1 was.

14. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Me too :D (though I hardly drink any whiskey any more:cool: )
    28 days to delivery claimed for me (in Netherlands) as well - keep you posted.

rgds,
    slam

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Got my cd today. Five days after order.

16. chew

chew Registered Member

In UK I think one of the pc mag will be handing out a free copy of SP2 next month ... or in their next issue.

Can't remember which mag now.

:)

17. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Don't tell me........I bet if the truths known you live a couple of doors down form Big Bill and he 'Skimmed' a disc into your yard as he passed in his Limo...Right?.......Some people are so lucky.............come on Ron, let's be knowing the truth........... :D

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's here! I couldn't believe it! Bigc and I ordered the same day and I am curious if he got his too.

19. bigc73542

No haven't gotten mine yet. I was going to reinstall my xp pro and start fresh with the sp2 disc. I have installed the It network version but I had to restore and reinstall it again and after the second install it worked perfectly except that it took 18gbs of disc space in the process. well I turned off restore and it cleared the restore partition and now I am back to only 5.1 gigs on the Hdd. I guess the sp2 backed up the os twice plus what was already on the restore.

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Mine copy came in 4 days, but the CD was stuck in the folder they sent it in and there's minor damage to the CD surface having to loosen it. Not sure if that will make any difference.

I'm holding off installing it until I see just what software will and won't work. A list posted someplace here says MS Word and Works won't function with SP2. I have Word 2002, and need it in my work. So, I'm putting SP2 away until I find out more. I also have McAfee Internet Security 6, with Firewall 5 Plus and virusscan 8. Both, according to McAfee are okay. The other stuff in that suite, I can live without if necessary.

21. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Went into our local newsagents shop this morning and noticed the SP2 Disc stuck to the front of 'PC Plus' Magazine!......resisted the overwhelming temptation to buy it.... :D :D

Cochice, :cool:

22. MikeBCda

Mine arrived this morning (via Purolator, interestingly) -- about a week or 10 days from ordering, so it looks like MS is pretty consistently doing much better than the 4-6 weeks they've been quoting.

Question -- anyone figured out where the several gigs of backups are put, and if they can be safely trashed? All I could find was the uninstall info, which ran a few dozen megs -- I got rid of that, since I use Restore-IT and can "time travel" back that way if necessary. But it sounds like there's still a heck of a lot unaccounted for somewhere -- an additional 5 pct of my 40 gig HD is now in use, which mental math tells me works out to about 2 gigs.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I assumed they went to system restore or maybe a special hidden area.
    At any rate, I cleaned system restore and like you, still have disk space used for something.

24. bigc73542

all of sp2's back up is in restore. when I cleared restore I gained back 13 gigs from two sp2 installs the trash from both installs stayed in restore along with the regular stuff.

25. ufoflyer

ufoflyer Guest

I got my sp2 cd at my local Staples store for free. It was in the software aisle next to Windows xp. So i didn't have to wait at all for it to be delivered thru the mail.

As far as i know all Staples stores should carry it, just ask if you can't find it. I have also heard BestBuy has the free cd too and probably Compusa also, but i haven't checked their yet i just heard they have them.

Don't really understand why everyone is getting them through the mail when you can just walk into most stores, that sell computers, and pick one up still for free of course.

The cd is 475mb. It contains sp1 too and some other stuff. But is well worth having IMO. You never know when you may need to reformat/reinstall Windows and for anyone on dialup it is a hugh help.

If i were you i would pick one up asap, because they may not be around forever. I missed out on the free 9x/me cd's because i waited too long and now i can't get them anymore. But i didn't miss out on this one. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.