Win XP Shut Down Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drac, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drac

drac Registered Member

When I shut down WinXP SP2 AFTER making a backup the shut down process stops because it cannot force the TrueImage Monitor too terminate. I have to click on End Now which allows the system to continue its shut down.

Note that this only happens after I make an image backup at some time during the day.

I found this same problem in other posts but there was no good answer supplied then other than try a new version (I am using build 796), or reinstall the program.

Do you have any better answers to this problem now?

2. scaa

scaa Registered Member

I am having the same problem but I do not get the end now dialog. I usually shut down after the backup is complete but the shutdown takes a very very long time.
    I too am using xphome sp2 with all automatic updates

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please download the latest (800) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem remains please try to create image several times and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. drac

drac Registered Member

I already downloaded and installed build 800. I will let you know what happens the next time I do a backup.

HOWEVER, you should know whether you fixed a problem in the TI monitor software or not. If not, why would you expect the problem to go away?

I am not the only person with this problem, that means it is YOUR problem, not mine. All software has bugs, I understand that. What I do NOT understand is blaming the user. I do not care if 1000 users do not have this problem, if 10 users do, then it would benefit you to find out why they are having this problem and do what is necessary to eliminate it.

You are not asking me, and others with this problem about our hardware or what software we have installed - the first steps in finding out what might be causing the problem.

5. djkcomp

djkcomp Registered Member

I am having the same problem - Windows XP will hang on shutdown because it is unable to end the TrueImage monitor process. I have True Image 8.0 build 800 installed and I am still having the problem. Has any progress been made on this issue?

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Guest

drac, scaa and djkcomp: Do you have any anti-virus or firewall software running when you try to shutdown? Have you tried manually shutting either of them down before letting Windows shutdown? It could be a matter of the anti-virus and the monitor process waiting for the other to shutdown down first.

Just a guess....

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Same problem using TI 8 build 800 with Windows 2000 SP4 (all current updates).

8. scaa

scaa Registered Member

Yes, minimax.
    I do have av and za. I manually shut down the za and the computer shutdown was very much normal. Avast AV , however, is not causing the problem?
    Any solution known as to why ZA does not shut itself? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Guest

I have noticed a similar problem with ZoneAlarm preventing a process from terminating. In my case it has nothing to do with TrueImage. For me it sometimes happens when I have used Cygwin's OpenSSH to connect to remote systems. When I try to close the command window, it just hangs there... Shutting down ZoneAlarm allows the window to close (and the process to terminate) normally.

My guess is that something (an open network socket?) gets stuck in ZoneAlarm. Perhaps this TrueImage Monitor process you are refering too also creates a network connection (even locally to itself?), and that connection gets stuck in ZoneAlarm?

10. Peter Vanlint

Peter Vanlint Registered Member

Go to link
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
    and search for shutdown. You will find plenty of threads discussing this question and some solutions including windows updates, changing registry values etc.

11. drac

drac Registered Member

As promised, I am letting you know about what happened after I upgraded to build 800.

It seems that the TrueImageMonitor program is not used with build 800, or at least it is not always running like it was with my previous build.

Since this program is not running,there is no problem related to shutting down this service when I shutdown my system.

Upgrading to build 800 solved my problem, thank you.

Others asked about other running software. Yes, I run anti-virus software, but those and other programs like anti-spyware, etc. are shutdown automatically by the shutdown processes so they are not even running when the TrueImagemontion was still locked up.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drac,

Glad to hear you have solved your problem.

TrueImageMonitor.exe is used in every version (and every build) of Acronis True Image. The problem you had may result from the fact that previous build was installed with some errors. Apparently, this new one was installed correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. img

img Guest

the problem is still present in build 937 - shutdown is prevented when TI8 image is created earlier in the windows session.

i don't run zone alarm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.