Win XP Indexing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

The question of possibly disabling indexing to increase security was raised a while back in some forum here, but a search under "indexing" left me stumped. I did find one totally unrelated advantage of turning off indexing, though.

When I unticked "Permit indexing" (two different places), I found that shutdown of my XP Home system is much faster now. I have to assume that part of a "standard" shutdown includes a last-minute update of the indexes.

And no ill effects so far -- anytime I'm doing a search, it's strictly by filename (with or without wildcards), and that's as good as it ever was. I never searched by content, and as I understand it that's the main area where indexing helps.

Oddly, Chkdsk still does verify index integrity as part of its routine, and that's still the longest part of a Chkdsk file-check run.

If someone happens to remember where that other thread was, about indexing, they're welcome to add a link to this one, or even quote this one there.

Best to all,
    Mike

2. Prushka

Prushka Registered Member

My 1st post here greetings

Just been reshuffling services around again to see what I can live without.
    I have indexing service disabled. I usually search on key words or if I think I've been hit with a nasty, I'll do a time search on that day, when modified...to see if anything unfriendly has been created...with folder view 'when modified' to line everything up sequencially. Search is slowed a bit with indexing disabled, but not badly.
    You may have seen these to service suggestion sites...I've found them helpful.
    http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.