Win XP computer is messed up bad...

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by kathyL, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I know what you mean, but for anyone to be able to try & help you, focusing on the task/s involved is VERY important. My time is Not unlimited to sorting Everything out that "may" be wrong with the PC. And it now appears there is a Lot more to fix etc than i initially was aware of.

Re - SAS borked install

Means, broken etc !

Uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, then when you Next connect to the Internet DL & install it from https://www.superantispyware.com/download.html launch it & set EVERYTHING on it as i showed you earlier & then Update it, but don't scan just yet.

Re - SR points missing on the PC

I'm surprised your daughter-in-law didn't suggest looking into it etc, at the time ? Anyway see if you can Re-enable them, like this.

cp-sr.gif

Re - automatic updates are turned off

Launch IE & click these

wup-ie.gif

I don't have IE8 so yours might be slightly different. Anyway find Windows Update & try to select/enable it. Have/can you ?

If you can't, when you go Online, go here http://update.microsoft.com & before you do ANY other updating, allow it to do it's thing. You can use FF for this & Ignore/Cancel any MS alerts about updating IE to IE8.

Re - For Firewall, it says i am not monitored.

Avast is your AV protection, not Firewall protection !

The inbuilt XP FW should BE on by default, on buying the PC. It "might" be That the nasty, or another, disabled it, and/or someone turned it off to allow things to happen it was blocking.

Go to the Security Center & turn it on. Is it on now ?

Re - Win updates on the laptop

Well, Win updates should be set to Auto Update on there too, is'nt it ? If not enable it. Also check to see the FW is enabled on it too, is it ? Both important & to do ASAP, but it's the PC we are working on.

1 - SR first, if you can.

2 - Enable the PC's FW, if you can.

3 - Do the PC Win updates next, might take some time & require one or several Reboots.

4 - Follow my advice on SAS

Post back

2. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

I really am so apologetic, as if that helps matters at all. I will try to be more computer-thinking to be as of much help as possible.

check

I didn't need to make any changes; PC was set up as you showed...

problem: remember me telling you about the IE error window that would pop up (even tho I'd be using FF)? When I tried to open IE (which on the PC, I don't know which version is on there), i get that error box and it won't open.

when i ask it to tell me what i need to download to update my PC, it tells me, as expected, to have the latest version of IE.

When I go to the manual download page, I do not know what I need to download. I have the Service Pack 3 on the PC. I see an 'update for windows xp' but it was released in '08, so i would have that. I would just be missing things that came out, possibly, over the past year. Just trying to answer my own question and found where I can scan thru the possible updates and checking the availability dates.

Have chosen to install Microsoft Windows Malicious Software removal tool kit (KB890830)

Re - For Firewall.

yes, i had to turn it on

Re - Win updates on the laptop

they were all set as you have said they should on the Laptop

1 - SR first, if you can. [failure as stated above]

2 - Enable the PC's FW, if you can. [accomplished]

3 - Do the PC Win updates next, might take some time & require one or several Reboots. [in progress]

4 - Follow my advice on SAS [in queue]

Post back[/QUOTE]

3. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Re: windows updates

like I said, unless i DL IE8, i have to manually to the updating.

I'm looking at the list of 'popular updates' and just checking recent dates (w/in the past year).

...oh my heck. you can see below to how i was trying to do stuff on my own, but the first page says it found 23290 updates and I'm merely looking at the first page. It appears it might be easier for me to just download stupid IE8 and get all the automatic updates instead of trying to pick and choose the 'important' ones?

These are the ones I chose to upgrade:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
    update for Word 2007 (KB974631) - 07/10
    micorsoft windows SDK 7.1 - 05/10
    microsoft office compatibility pack - 01/10

This is what I see that I'm thinking I don't need to be concerned about utilizing:

windows media components for quick time - 2/11
    powerpoint viewer - 05/10
    windows 7 and windows server 2008 R2 service pack I - 03/11
    microsoft .Net framework 4 (standalone installer) - 02/11
    directX redist - 04/11
    directX End-User runtime - 04/11
    mcirosoft visual studio 2010 svc pack 1 (installer) - 03/11
    Messenger - 10/10

4. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

installing SAS

I uninstalled it (via add/remove pgms), went to the website to DL and got this error:

"file copy error, aborting installation"

5. CloneRanger

Ok, good.

Re -SR

Go to it & try to set a New point, call it NEW, did it work ?

Re - IE error window

Ok, yes i forgot, a Lot for me to try & recall as well :(

Re - Win Updates

Service Pack already 3 = :thumb:

Try & do a IE Repair, from ControL Panel

rest.gif

Reboot

Then

Well it won't do any harm, but it's the Missing Windows Updates you need ! Don't play with it yet.

I don't use MS Updates myself, & havn't for some time, don't ask, but you Should. So i'd forgotten you HAVE to use IE to access their www to DL them that way.

Yes, but a LOT.

Did you look at FAQ when you went to MS ?

Go back & try the Express option. After it's scanned it should automatically DL & install ALL of them, which could take Some time. Keep checking back every 10 mins or so & monitor it's progress. Once it's TOTALLY finished, after X amount of "possible" reboots, post back.

Re - Firewall

So it was off ! Well it's on now = :thumb:

Re your latest posts, i've Just noticed.

You are going ahead & installing things Without checking with me first ? :(

You can try allowing IE8 to Update, BEFORE you try the Microsoft Update. Do that & then let me know BEFORE you do Anything else, if it does, or not.

Re - SAS

Let's leave that then for now, & concentrate on the IE8 update, if it will, and Definately the "Express high-priority updates" as noted above.

Take your time, & ONLY do one thing at a time, in the sequence listed. If one or more don't succeed, make a note of it & why, then move on to the next etc etc. Afterwards, post back.

You havn't replied to my last PM ? But NOT in here, ONLY by PM.

6. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

i have the option to restore to an earlier time OR create a restore point.

You're talking about creating a restore point? If i select that, it tells me to 'type a description for your restore point...'

is this where you want me to enter 'new'?

while i await your answer for that, i'll review the rest of your post...

7. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

uh, i don't have something called 'internet properties'...

in fact, as i look at the control panel, it appears like things are missing; there are holes, like missing teeth.

one between "game controllers" and "java", between "java" and "keyboard" and two blank spaces between "security center" and "sounds and audio device"

oh, comparing PC control panel to laptop, I see the first missing icon is internet options. I can't tell about the space after Java. I can't tell, either, the two spaces after Security Center.

8. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Re: microsoft updates

I am not finding that on the FAQ (i use CTRL + F to do word search) i have in front of me. So I opened that link on the Laptop so i could copy it over to the PC, but when I followed that link on the LT, i again got that lovely msg that i needed to have IE8 downloaded to be able to use that page (and why it's giving me grief on the LT which DOES have IE8 on it...gr.)

9. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Re: IE8 installed; Auto Updates

I've successfully upgraded to IE8; rebooted

google brought up a note stating something else was trying to override the search (or something; i was too slow to snag it).

it also stated auto updates was not enabled.

went thru all the steps you showed me to set it manually but it's already showing 'auto update' in the 'system' folder

am now headed to microsoft for system updates...

or...do i wait? this is where I'm unsure. I don't have your knowledge; to me, my mind says, 'go to the next thing (which is updates)'. but then i get scolded because i didnt wait.

i'm making an executive decision and updating... o_O

ETA - well, i'm NOT doing any updates. went to microsoft, told it to tell me what to update and i get the same stupid screen: that i need IE8 to go further.

so much for me going ahead and getting anything accomplished.

10. CloneRanger

You STILL havn't replied to my last PM, about Win32kDiag.exe ? But NOT in here, ONLY by PM. Please do so.

Re -SR - Go to it & try to set a New point, call it NEW

Yes, as above !

Re - IE Repair, from ControL Panel

Not good, along with other things you've mentioned, it sounds like your XP install is damaged more than i knew about initially. We'll give it a "few" more shots, as we've come this far.

On the PC ? You didn't say how you managed to do it ?

Not good, "could" be some malware still affecting things, but ALL the Apps we've used say you're PC is clean ! And Is google your Home Page ?

Go back there & try following any instructions it gives you on how to do it from there. Do this first, if it works then try to do the Express Updates. After you've done, or tried, try & set a NEW System Restore point. After those, then post back, & do NOT forget the PM.

11. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  12. CloneRanger

13. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Re: Windows update.

went there, did that (on the PC) and window states: "Install completed: install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed"

14. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

it has been suggested to me that I might have to just wipe the computer and start over.

You have spent so much time on this mess, for which I am most appreciative, but the mess just keeps getting deeper...

If you think this would be easier/better...I'm willing to do it.

the sad news is...i'd need help, not having a clue what that looks like... :doubt:

15. CloneRanger

Indeed you might, as was suggested much earlier on by others, but as you said you wanted to try & save it, i thought it might be worth attempting to do that. After we'd managed to get the Rootkit removed, & ALL those Apps including Avast showed the all clear, it seemed like with a few things left to try & do, there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes i know, & thanks.

Seems that way :( But let's just go for another WU fix, before deciding. As it should be fairly quick & easy to do, why not.

Re - Windows Update Agent is already installed"

That was just one option the "could" have worked. Try the other option.

Method 2: Register the Wups2.dll file

Post back

16. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

"this microsoft fix it failed to process...click to tell us what you think...click to get online help now...click to read more about microsoft fix it"

:(

17. CloneRanger

Re - Method 2: Register the Wups2.dll file

Oh dear, it was worth trying anyway !

Well after Everything you've listed that you attempted to do, in order to try & get ALL the Windows Updates, & you agree that your PC XP install seems damaged more than i knew about initially, unfortunately i don't think there is much more i can do from this end ! So i would suggest that you carry on transferring All your wanted files from the PC to the Ex HD, & then the Laptop.

You could try an XP repair, if ? you have the XP CD Disk you got when you bought it, but that would mean also having to reinstall all your programs & installing all the missing updates to Everything etc etc. .

It's also possible your PC's HD Disk "might" be failing ? If you want to try the XP repair etc, you would need to start a new post in here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 & ask how to, from others who may have direct experience etc, After you've Completed the moves.

Sometimes PC's from certain manufactures have a preinstalled, by them, return Everything to when bought fix actually on the HD. This would be another option if it has, but again ask in the new thread, if you decide to make one.

As you note the Laptop is also playing up, due to the IE8 issue, & there "may" be other problems on there that need resolving, the above thread would be where to try & get that addressed too, seperately, one comp at a time.

After that, whatever comp you use/buy, i would suggest this.

Keep your MBAM & SAS & HMP updated Often as you can & scan Often. PSOL will take care of itself, plus it's Excellent at protecting your browsing sessions. Read up on it on their www.

Re - Alureon Rootkit that you had, & other malware etc. They "sometimes" appear disguised as a video codec, whereby you get an onscreen message saying in order to be able to play some video you are trying to view, click here. Which if you do installs the nasty, NOT the codec. "Maybe" that's what happened ? People need to know NOT to go wildly clicking & DLing things they don't know about.

Actually we're not supposed to do clean ups any more on here, but somehow one thing led to another & we got carried away ! The good news though is that the nasty Rootkit appears to have gone :)

I'm sorry we couldn't resolve everything, & it's difficult not being there trying hands on to work on it. So having done ALL i feel i'm able to do , sadly i think it's time i bowed out, but i Sincerely wish you can find some more help elsewhere, maybe locally.

Regards

18. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

Clarification, please? do you mean copy files from both PC and laptop or move files from PC ultimately to laptop?

It's also possible your PC's HD Disk "might" be failing ? If you want to try the XP repair etc, you would need to start a new post in here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 & ask how to, from others who may have direct experience etc, After you've Completed the moves.[/quote]

Computer is about 10 yrs old. It "failed" last year due to a fan dying. The CD-rom doesn't work. We realized we just lost audio. blah.

...so the XP repair will wipe the HD clean, yes? so, like you say, i would lose all pgms and their updates...

The last time I was here, Blue had given me a similar list and somehow I lost it, tho I tried to do most (on the laptop) of what i could remember. thank you for posting it again here...

You've been the best and I really appreciate all the TIME and ENERGY you've put in to the effort.

Thank you so much

19. CloneRanger

Yes, move files from the PC ultimately to the laptop from the Ex HD. IF the PC gets fixed, you can then copy them back, if you chose to.

As you also "appear" to have an IE8 issue on the Laptop, & you can't resolve that, & it leads to, and/or you have other problems on it that can't be resolved, at some point you may wish to move files from the Laptop over to the Ex HD too. If the files moved from the PC to the Ex HD are kept on there, you won't need to move duplicate ones on the Laptop to the Ex HD, should you need to if the LT is playing up as well.

But if the IE8 is the ONLY issues on the Laptop, you can quite happily use FF instead. Although IE8 should not be causing problems on it. Of course it "might" be "something" else which is the cause of IE8's problems. I don't know the answer unfortunately !

Re - XP repair

XP repair is just that, it Repairs XP, not Totally wipes the comps HD.

Here's a Very good comprehensive www that explains ALL the details & options.

Re - Sometimes PC's from certain manufactures have a preinstalled, by them, return Everything to when bought fix actually on the HD.

This option would wipe Everything you had installed on it since the day you got it, but "hopefully" return it to it's, as it was on first leaving the store.

For eg ONLY, here's Dell's PC Restore for Windows XP that does that.

https://support.dell.com/support/to...=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_181316&isLegacy=true

You'rs might NOT be a Dell, in which case you will NEED to find out from the Specific manufactures www etc what/why/how etc.

Wiping the HD, as has been suggested earlier by others, will do Exactly that. So in that case, Yes you would lose all pgms and their updates etc etc & Everything else on it. Then need to reinstall Windows XP & ALL the updates & ALL your programs etc etc.

As the PC is ten years old, it could indeed be suffering from HD failures as mentioned. It might be wise to get it checked out locally at some point.

Whichever way you choose to go, afterwards have a good read in here for Lots of useful advice etc https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=252951

Your'e welcome, & i'm impressed that you Really want/ed to try & fix it & perservered through so much stuff, in spite of the difficulties it presented :)

20. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Is Windows Update listed as a trusted vendor in Internet Explorer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.