Win sp2 firewall a keeper? any recommendations

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ?Edward1, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ?Edward1

?Edward1 Guest

I just downloaded sp2 w/ built in firewall. Is this a keeper? Any recomendations or advice? I'm running xp.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

In this forum you'll find that most expert agree that Windows firewall is not the best solution. There's no program/proces control, so it doesn't protect against unwanted outgoing requests. It looks simple and it is. There's also a vulnerability in the Security Center: the firewall process can be stopped without the SC noticing. That's bad.
    Best what can be said is that finally Microsoft offers a default deny function in the consumer market.
    If you take security seriously, get another firewall. Plenty offers around.

3. Diver

Diver Guest

The windows default firewall will keep worms out of your PC. It may not have outbound application control, but I believe the need for that is a bit overblown. For outbound application control to be of any value you have to have acquired some malware that uses the internet and is also not detected by your antivirus software.

Having said that thre are three very good free firewalls with outbound application control:
    Kerio 2.15 - Light on memory, very good support available at DSL Reports. Not that simple to set up.
    Sygate Free Personal - Can work in an easy to use simple mode, but allows for advanced configeration.
    Zone Alarm Free - Probaly the most widely used firewall. Can not be used to share any files or printers on your machine with other machines on a network. Very easy to use.

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Not to be argumentative, but I believe that your statement is incorrect as I understand it. You can selectively choose to allow file/printer sharing within Zone Alarm Free by going into the "Zones" tab of the "Firewall" page and creating various "Trusted" subnets. For example, it is fairly common to change the default "Adapter Subnet" from "Internet" to "Trusted"... this will allow file/printer sharing with other devices within the same IP subnet as your NIC. The default, though, is for every IP to be in the "Internet" zone where it is untrusted and accordingly denies access such as that required during file/printer sharing.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hello Edward,
    Meneer perfect answer. Diver also very good. Alec sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't many complaints in ZA forums.

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I use Zone Alarm Pro with a wireless network, when I tried using norton I couldn't even connect to the internet through my wireless adaptor without having to change numerous settings. Zone Alarm PRo was quick and simple and I was on the internet in no time.

Jimbob

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Which version of ZAP? The farther you get into 5.xx the less complaints. Also I 've heard complaints about Norton PFW just like you said too.
    ;) I am glad to hear that it worked for you ZA was my first Firewall.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Can the W sp2 firewall be easily disabled so as not to interfere with another firewall such as LnS?
    I suppose it would be good enough to go to a site and download a better one?? o_O

Jerry

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep.....Control panel....network and internet connections...windows firewall.
    EDIT: Don't disable before you go to that site! :D

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

11. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

If I use it I tend to use the latest version I can get my hands on. I'm currently playing abit and testing out some of the others though.

Jimbob

12. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.