Win NT3.51 Backup problem for CRITICAL machine

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lester1, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lester1

Lester1 Registered Member

We have a manufacturing machine (CNC machine) here that runs on Windows NT 3.51. I really need to make a copy of the hard drive in case it dies. The data is not replaceable. The operating system can not be modified at all. I am having some troubles.

The drive is a 1.5 Gig Drive with 2 partitions on it. The primary partition is 614.2MB (FAT16) and the secondary partition is 925.3MB (NTFS).

My replacemanet drive is a 60GB drive.

I plugged the drive I need to backup into my Windows XP Pro system and used Acronis True Image (9.0) to clone the 1.5GB drive. It created a file on my XP drive.

I then unplugged the 1.5GB drive and plugged in the new 60GB drive. I performed a restore with the Acronis true image software. It made the NTFS partition 55GB which I knew probably wouldn't work.

I manually erased everything off the 60GB drive and made 2 partitions: A primary 2GB FAT partition and a secondary 2GB NTFS partition. I left the rest of the drive unpartitioned. I named the partitions the same as on the original drive.

I then restored the partion data individually with the Acronis True image software. When I reset the jumpers on the drive to make it the primary bootable drive and plug the drive into the machine I get a windows NT Blue screen that says Inaccessable Boot Device. It looks like the drive is being recognized by the motherboard when I go into the system setup.

Any ideas.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lester1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you can clone your first drive to the second one using the "Disk Clone" wizard. This wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data from one disk to another. To clone the first drive to the second one, you must first install the new disk drive in the PC, after that you can move all of the contents of one disk onto the second one with Acronis True Image. Please try to use this feature to clone your hard drive.

DId you restore your partitions separately from the image file? If yes, please try to fix the MBR manually by one of the below ways:

1) Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    2) Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

If the problem remains please do the following:

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.