Win 7 'Backup & Restore' Questions?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Birdman, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Still trying to learn the 'Backup & Restore' features in Win 7. Just a couple of questions......

1) Do have to create a "System Repair Disc" each time I create a new backup or just the first time?

2) I currently have the Backup files/folders and the System Image stored on a external hard drive. When creating future Backups, do I have to delete the existing system image + backup or does it do it incrementally (and recognize the existing file)?

3) How reliable is Win 7's backup/system image feature? Is it advised to go with a 3rd party software instead?

-If so, which program comes close to FD-ISR and has similar features/functions?

Thanks.

2. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

1. As far as I am aware you just need to create the disk once.
    2. I think you have the choice of incremental / full backup.
    Personally I only ever use full backup, it make take a little while longer, but I have assurance I can get my system back in one sweep.
    3. I have tested it once, and it worked ok. I personally use ATI Home 2010, the .tib files are a lot smaller than the .vhd files from Windows.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

only first time
    it will recognize the current backup and create another. not sure if incremental or not if you use the wizard. the commandline version has lots of different options.

I hav done two or three restores and it is reliable. i just use my windows 7 installation dvd to restore the images.
    I still use image for windows as my imaging solution because it has more features,is faster,smaller image sizes etc.

if you want to find out information about the current backups stored on your external drive plug it in then open command prompt as administrator.

type Wbadmin get versions
    if you want to find out what sort of data is in the backups you can use the Wbadmin get items command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.