Win 7 64-bit or Win 7 32-bit w/ Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fasteddy2020, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

Now that Windows 7 is coming out I really want to install the 64-bit, but Sandboxie does not support 64-bit for reasons listed on their website. Quite a good explanation as to why that even I can understand. :D I have Sandboxie paid and really like what it does and how it does works. My problem is whether or not to stop using Sandboxie, that I have become to rely on, and install the 64-bit Win 7 or install Win 7 32-bit and continue to rely on my old friend, Sandboxie. Thoughts?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

2. Julian

Julian Registered Member

I'm using Windows 7 x64 and if I could I would also use Sandboxie :(
    Because Sandboxie isn't available I need to use the sandbox of Kaspersky IS, it's ok with the coming version but of course Sandboxie is much better.

If I was you I would choose the 64 bit version of Windows 7, it's running more smoothly / everything reacts a bit faster.

3. denniz

denniz Registered Member

The only way you can still use sandboxie is to run something like Virtualbox or Virtual PC under Win7 64-bit, then do a virtual install of a 32-bit Windows OS and then install Sandboxie inside of that.

It's a bit like jumping through hoops though... ;)

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I too have a license for Sandboxie and would like to be able to use it, but IMHO it's not worth to choose an OS just based on 1 program and win x64 runs great with 4+ GB RAM.

Plus, remember that x64, beyond UAC has also patch guard, which doesn't exist on x32 Win7.

IMHO x64 is the future, buy today a good amount of RAM while it is cheap in order to have a very future-proof PC/OS.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Like others, I would not give up x64 just to be able to run a security application, even though SandBoxie is one of the very best imo.

6. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

Depends on what you need or use your pc for,i use 64bit on my main desktop which runs faster and smoother than 32bit for my needs.

Still use the 32bit XP pro laptop which I have Sandboxie, Online Armor but not as much as the 64bit desktop

If you want/need 64bit just be careful with your setup, good choice of security apps along with common sense etc and you should be fine.

like other's i would put OS and what you need it for above a single security app.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

id go 64-bit.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.