Will Your PC Run Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

No, it will run linux

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I will use Windows Vista, when it's double glazed.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I'm ready to try it. I like XP so Vista may be a lot better. ;)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that MS Vista will run fine on my computer :)

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Bah win2k till it breaks as far as I'm concerned.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

XP or 2000 for me....for now. I might try Vista once all the bugs are out.

-or-

If I can get my hands on another computer (that would make 7), I'll try it on there.

I've been using XP on my main system now for close to 4 years and I have yet to find anything I don't like about it (except the default Fisher Price interface)

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Good thing I have a graphics card that fully complies with MS DirectX 9 specifications. :)

Yes, Vista should run just fine on my PC :)

9. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Not while I have any say on the matter. I already have a very nice view from my office, thank you very much Mr Gates. :p

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

So sometime in 2007...... :D, just like me then.............. ;)

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hear hear! :) No product activation, faster with less memory utilisation, fewer "compulsory addons" meaning fewer potential security problems and a user interface that is more efficient (i.e. takes up less screen space).

Want more eye-candy? All the pretty features of XP (and Vista also as far as I can see) can be added via third-party software like Stardock's Object Desktop (WindowBlinds for themes, WindowFX for shadows, transparency and animation, CursorXP for enhanced cursor shadows, pointer transparency and several special effects, etc).

12. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Some day yes definitely.

But it took me almost a year to upgrade to XP-SP2 and that was only when Microsoft forced you to (im still annoyed about that as i did not want to upgrade to it).

But definitely not straight away, when my place of work and educational establishments (University college) have both switched i will switch too for compatibility reasons.

Does anyone know of its security measures/upgrades it will have, as all posts i read about it seem to be surrounding how it will look and what not.

(Also i liked the longhorn name better!).

Thinking about it. I may set up a quadrouple boot setup. when i buy i bu a bigger hard drive. One for XP. One for Xandros, one for Vista and one for Suse.-

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

One day Microsoft will force all Windows 2000 users to upgrade......they have already made steps in that direction:

- No charge incident and extended hotfix support for Windows 2000 ended on June 30, 2005 (that means that non-security and non-critical problems will no longer be fixed)

- OEM and Retail License Availability of Windows 2000 ended on March 31, 2004

- System Builder License Availability of Win2k ended on March 31, 2005

Microsoft is slowly phasing out Windows 2000, and I for one, dont like it.

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Microsoft can certainly withdraw support but they can't force an upgrade for users of Win2K (and older versions) - on the other hand they can with WinXP and later by closing down their online activation. Once they do this, users will need to upgrade simply for fear of the consequences of their current version needing reactivation.

It should be pointed out that Microsoft's Product Activation FAQ does address this issue with the paragraph "Microsoft will also support the activation of Windows XP throughout its life and will likely provide an update that turns activation off at the end of the product's lifecycle so users would no longer be required to activate the product." - however the wording does strike me as being deliberately vague.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think i just need a monitor and dvd drive upgrade for my new comp, my older one will stick with xp otherwise for vista it would need a complete rehaul/replacement.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

17. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'll stick to XP for a good amount of time, I can't really see any reason to waste money on Vista right now - Well except for the new eyecandy :rolleyes:

18. zcv

zcv Registered Member

From the article:
    Vista will automatically de-fragment hard disks

XP is doing that now, provided that the Task Schedular service is enabled.

XP's auto defragger was written for Ms by Disk Keeper.

Regards - Charles

19. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think xp's auto defragger only kicked in every three days and im not sure if it was enabled by default. maybe the one in vista will work differently.

20. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I think I will wait until they released the version for the Server Vista. ;)

21. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Yes, it does run every 3 days and it is on by default.

Regards - Charles

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I plan to wait until it's preinstalled on computers before I replace my old Pentium 3 500 mhz Dell.:D

24. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

My PC will definitly NOT run Vista. I'll be running Windows XP till 2007/2008, and after that I've planned to be fully converted to Linux. Right now I work 20% up to 50% of my time on Linux (at work but also at home).

Too bad there are a couple specialized tools we use that only run under Windows. But they're getting ported to java, and will be done within 1,5 - 2 years.
    The reason why I refuse to run Vista is simple. Microsoft showed they're not potential enough to include all of their new features, but they have plenty of time for ugly recource sucking 3d interfaces. Also all the DRM stuff scares me off. Also Microsoft is gonna include too many things I don't want or need.

For me a decent Linux installation (Debian or Gentoo) with a Gnome or KDE interface (like them both), will do the job for me. Plenty of software, no hassle securing and ofcource free too :) Way too go :D

25. cantroler

cantroler Guest

me thinks

Diskeepers cutrate version also kicks in when comput goes into screensaver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.