Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Nov 26, 2011.

?

Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Why or why not?

1. Yes, going to purchase a new computer with Windows 8 installed.

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Yes, going to purchase the Windows 8 disk and install.

21 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. No. I'm happy with my current Windows OS.

80 vote(s)
    60.6%
  4. No. Switching to another OS (Linux, Apple, etc)

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Other reason for upgrading or not.

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. guest

guest Guest

I would like to understand what's the Microsoft's "mistake" with Windows 8 that you always talk about. W8 brings improvements in every area and if you hate Metro, there is the desktop mode and Start8 can restore Start menu... did you try it at least?

2. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

In which ways is Windows 8 better than Windows 7, please list the 'many ways'

Start 8 looks nothing like the original Windows start menu.

3. guest

guest Guest

They are listed here and detailed here, for fast access.

Themes change, ofc. But the functionality is pretty much the same.

4. ZeroDay

thanks for the links I'll read them through.

5. abels

abels Registered Member

Windows 7 is running pretty smooth now, so I have no reason to change it to Windows 8.

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

To me an operating system is something that should be in the background. If all of your programs function perfectly with your current operating system, I don't see a reason to upgrade. I still have a computer with XP. It suits my purpose fine. Why upgrade even though I can't because of hardware requirements. Not worried about so-called security improvements either. The way I surf, I have never been infected using XP. I have a laptop with Window 7 that works fine with the programs I have so I see no reason to upgrade that either. Anyways, being on a fixed income, I could use the money that would be used for the upgrade on something more productive like food and clothes.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'd seen this post but didn't really feel like replying lol sorry. Since you asked nicely I may as well.

I disagree that there can never be a situation where the user can't make the right decision. And in situations where there is a 'right' and 'wrong' decision it should always be assumed that the user will make the 'wrong' decision and steps should be taken to either:
    1) Inform the user so that they make the right decision
    2) Protect the users who inevitably make the wrong decision

There are some decisions we can't protect the user from.

An attacker wants you to trust them more than you trust your antivirus. A single false positive is enough to completely break trust between you and your antivirus, multiple false positives means you'll never take it seriously. And when the time comes and you're running an attacker's code you'll say "well, this thing's always wrong anyways."

That doesn't mean removing decisions. It means having a system where the user trusts your program more than any hacker.

The combination of them trusting the system and the system either making decisions or providing only safe decisions (ie: by making dangerous ones not as dangerous) is the only system of security that will ever work.

8. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If I can afford it...Yes

If I can't, then...No

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that the mistake was to hybridise two operating systems. I understand the marketing reason & commercial thinking behind the decision to do this. I just think that it will inevitably alienate many desktop users, who would normally have upgraded, but who now will almost certainly stick with Win 7. That's all.

Start8 looks like a good idea, I thought MS were going to make it incompatible with Win 8 though?

I'm sure Win 8 has many improvements over Win 7. Just like Win 7 had many improvements over Vista. Having said that, there were quite a few things that Vista (that I liked) had that didn't make it to 7. The same principle will inevitably apply to Win 8.

Anyway, besides all of this marketing exercise rhetoric, the Microsoft marketing machine is bound to want everyone & his dog to upgrade every Microsoft-running computer on the face of the planet to its new operating system. That's why they have so much money. That's business.

I just don't need a new operating system yet. When I do buy a new computer it most probably won't be a tablet. So I would very probably prefer an operating system specifically tailored to a desktop/laptop machine.

I don't think that I am alone in this.

10. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

No, you're not at all alone.
    I fully understand some people loving this "modernization" of computer usage.
    By the same token, I wish that they would understand that there are those who do not like the direction things are going.
    I don't like it, and I have no intention of ever even trying it.

11. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I've used the Develop and Consumer Previews of Windows 7 and greatly disliked both (I maintained optimism when the Developer Preview was released though). I don't particularly give a rats bum if it's better to be honest, if it works for me (Like 7 does) and it remains supported and secured then I don't care. As for Start8 that's not a microsoft product it's a Stardock product it in no way reflects the operating system or it's maker. It doesn't in any way bring the start menu to the equivalent of Windows 7 (Or any reasonably decent start menu in the past). Microsoft doesn't care about customers their feedback or their opinions. Don't argue 3rd party tools as a feature for the operating system. As far as windows 8 goes you're screwed so hard by metro it's a joke.

Firstly, I was being sarcastic about windows XP (I Personally couldn't wait to get off XP). Secondly, 2020 is more than enough time for them to pump out another OS or two. As far as I'm concerned about XP they just keep pushing the EOL date back so it wouldn't surprise me if 2014 came around and they pushed it back again.

I'm really not interested in taking part in the back and forth. So let me put it this way Windows 8 is a tablet-ized peice of garbage, that's my opinion as someone who has used it and disliked it greatly. Why?

1. You boot up? Into Metro (No way of avoiding that in the OS)
    2. Press the start button? Metro Screen (No way of avoiding that in the OS)

P.S. I also hate the ribbon in it's entirety. (Bet that's got ya raging :D)

12. Daveski17

Yes, "modernisation", or should we say "market-isation". ;)

I think that the very notion of this being 'modern' is, in effect, a marketing device. Just because it's new doesn't necessarily make it better. My favourite analogy for this is still the Austin Allegro & its remarkable new & modern *'quartic steering wheel',. Only British Leyland would have the temerity to reinvent the steering wheel. It seems only Microsoft have the equal temerity in reinventing the operating system. BTW, the quartic steering wheel was quickly replaced by a normal one after no one wanted to buy it.

*Note to moderators, this is an analogy & not necessarily 'off-topic'.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Talking about new ideas that was never successful you can check the "Saab 9000 Drive-by-Wire" it was essentially a car with a joystick replacing the steering wheel. :eek:
    Up to what i know it never got to mass production because it was not natural or did not feel right to steer a car with a joystick.

I hope the same thing happens to Microsoft, come on touch screen based GUI for a desktop? o_O

14. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'll take my time to decide once the RTM build is released.

15. guest

guest Guest

That would be true if there was no Desktop Mode - but it's there.

Besides, the combination Android, iPhone and iPad pushed the PC market share to less than 50% in a few years. The world is moving fast towards a new established factor of form for computing. Metro is an essential move if Microsoft doesn't want to alienate itself.

Capture.png
    Source: http://www.asymco.com

Like I said, the functionality is the same. It not, please, explain in detail how it isn't.

Don't tell me "I'm screwed by Metro". I love Metro, from the GUI to the many fundamental architectural changes that it brings like the new Windows Runtime that fixes so many problems from the past. Yes they care about customers/feedback/opinions, those are what make their work viable.

They won't push it back again, they did it one time because XP was still very popular, but now Windows 7 already surpassed it.

One click with the mouse to get to the desktop mode isn't exactly painful.

I don't know about "easy options", but it is possible because Start8 has that option.

Ribbon makes everyday tasks much easier and it's more beautiful as well.

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

oh, come on!
    you could be drinking Ballmer's bath water and be telling us it tastes like Grand Marnier.lol

personally, i don't are about ribbon one way or the other.

it looks like Microsoft has put much emphasis on the tablet and smart phone demographic.
    but i feel the desktop and laptop users have been thrown under the bus.

i would be happy to throw some money at Microsoft if i was happy about Windows 8.
    come on M$, there's still a few months to get things right. :)

17. guest

guest Guest

It put the right dose of emphasis IMO.

18. moontan

does not look that way reading about the majority of Windows 8 reviews i've read on the internet.

i would be curious to see statistics about the % of desktop/laptop users who have downloaded the W8 preview and are still using it...

i am sure Microsoft knows.

19. guest

guest Guest

It's a perception issue: people who don't like something are usually more vocal than those who like.

About how many are using it, the latest answer (that I know about) is "more than twice Windows 7 beta at the same point in time. Millions of people using everyday. "

20. moontan

lol. i find that hard to believe but maybe that's just my bias at work.

anyway, there's only 3-4 months to wait for the final version.
    i'll give it a last try when the RTM is ready for download.

21. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, the RTM will introduce important things, like the new desktop visual. And hopefully some additional changes to please the mood of Metro-haters (like an option to boot to desktop, because some people seem to be totally unable to deal with one extra mouse click :rolleyes:)..

22. moontan

Us Metro-haters ask for so little.

it doesn't have to be much really.
    just a registry hack will do. :D

23. Daveski17

Yes, you've given us all the marketing spiel (ad infinitum) already. Metro is a perfectly good tablet OS. I'm sure it will equal if not better the competition. The world is moving fast toward a new established factor of form for marketing computing. That's all. This is all an illusion created by marketing. Believe me.

You like to quote figures a lot, although most of yours are usually fairly irrelevant & a distraction. I have low opinions of so called 'statistics' anyway. When people start showing me charts & figures I tend to get a bit sleepy. Having said that, let's see what your average Wilder's punters think on this poll:

Yes, going to purchase a new computer with Windows 8 installed. 9 8.04%
    Yes, going to purchase the Windows 8 disk and install. 18 16.07%
    No. I'm happy with my current Windows OS. 65 58.04%
    No. Switching to another OS (Linux, Apple, etc) 9 8.04%
    Other reason for upgrading or not. 11 9.82%

My, my! A whopping sixty-five people 58.04% are totally happy with their present OS. Nine people are very probably going to change to an alternative. Nine will upgrade (8.04%) & an equal number will probably purchase Win 8 just by buying a new machine.

Which means that seventy-four (66.08%) people, over two thirds who voted, are not interested in Win 8 & its hybrid OS.

Now, that's alienation! ;)

You're still just not getting this are you? Functionality isn't the issue, it's the inconvenience of having to deal with the Metro interface on a desktop that's putting people off. You may be in love with Metro, but many are turned off by it. De gustibus non disputandum est!

Microsoft are hoping that by acclimatising people to the Metro interface it will influence people's choice in buying a tablet computer by familiarity. I admit it's a very clever marketing strategy, but that's all it is. The fact is that MS actually have alienated two thirds of the people who voted on this poll.

24. ZeroDay

:thumb:

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

OMG! Perfect reason I will give it a pass. Just what I need. Get an app and look at an ad. Is this what an OS is turning in to?

Article

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.