WIll you stay with Windows in 2020

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Feb 4, 2018.

?

W7 will be eol, Jan 2020. What option will you choose?

1. Stay with W7

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Move to W8.1

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Move to W10

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Move to Apple

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Move to Chromebook

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Move to Linux

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Move to Android

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Well they say a glass of red wine a day is good for your heart and I am more than willing to believe that.:)

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Haven't used Windows 7 in at least 5 years. Already on Windows 10. I wouldn't switch to Linux if is was free. Wait, what?

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Why so much disdain for Linux?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Disdain is free, ha ha.
    Mrk

5. xxJackxx

We've got a Linux web server at work. About a month ago the MySQL database started crashing. 3 of us can't figure out why. We have restored a backup to before the issues started about 20 times now and it crashes every time we touch it. It worked for a year and a half prior. No updates had been applied in the time frame during which it started doing this. I've never had such torment from a Windows server.

LOL

6. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

This is only one issue. I bet somebody had reverse experiences: something crashed on Windows, but it was rock solid on Gnu/Linux.

7. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

You absolute sure that the problem was not in the MySQL itself ?
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/crashing.html

8. xxJackxx

It's the only issue I took the time to mention and the one giving me the most trouble right now. I've been running Linux in VMs for years and at some point every one of them fails to reboot after updates at some point. To each his own, but I'm not a fan. I wanted to like it but I can't do it.

It likely is but 3 of us have been looking at this for 5 weeks and can't find a fix. At this point even the simple action of creating a database crashes it (sometimes). The only way to get it running again is to restore a backup.

9. reasonablePrivacy

Reliability of upgrade process varies greatly between distributions. It varies also depending on what you have installed. At least I have that experience with Debian. On production server machines it is best to do minimal install and do not install desktop environment, X11, Wayland and all the desktop stuff. Don't install 3rd party repositories either.

Maybe it is hardware error related to HDD or SSD?

10. Stefan Froberg

By any happenstance...were those distros using perhaps systemd...?

11. reasonablePrivacy

Unfortunately all major distros use systemd nowadays. I don't like systemd, but:
    1. I would not encourage distribution without systemd for somebody non-experienced with Gnu/Linux internals.
    2. some upgrade issues were present in Gnu/Linux distributions before systemd - most of them related to 3rd party repositories, so just don't install them.

12. xxJackxx

I've tried various distributions over the years. Ubuntu seems to hold out the longest. However it was not compatible with the server we are running. It has CentOS 7 on it. We tested the hard drive and the RAM. They passed the tests we did.

I assume that since this was a Windows 7 poll we probably shouldn't drag this too much farther off topic. :(

13. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Already moved to Linux. Only one of my systems is still on windows 7 and everything else runs debian 9.4 (xfce).

14. Stefan Froberg

Yeah, and the systemd is a classic example of herd mentality without technical merit. :(

When it was first introduced in around 2012 and I saw the list of dependencies it needed and the
    stuff that it wanted to handle, all running in PID 1, I thinked to myself: "This s*it is going to hit hard to the fan someday"

Init should be as simple as possible with it's only job of being boot the system. That's all.
    It should not try to assimilate other traditional Unix/Linux tools and services, latest being the f*rigging mount command. :eek:
    All that code...running in PID 1... :thumbd:
    Lennard probably slept in the class when they taught KISS.

So just because "everyone" uses it it does not mean it's superior or even great solution (and solution to what exactly?)

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows 10 from the beginning, very happy with it.

16. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Have 3 Pc

1 Win 10
    2 Win 7
    3 Lubuntu latest

I love Win 8.1 soooooooooooo I will stay there after W7 eol.
    because I am on macOS High Sierra, Low Sierra and El Capitan (3 Mbp's)

I hate with passion W10 but I have not choice at this moment and I have a free license :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.