Will You Keep Using Windows XP?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Dec 7, 2013.

?

Will you keep using Windows XP after Microsoft stops support?

1. Yes, but I have no choice

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Yes, because I prefer XP

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. No, I will upgrade Windows or change operating systems (Linux, Apple, etc)

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. I do not currently use XP

42 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I purchased my XP desktop in 2007, to this day, I haven't had any kind of hardware problems. Upgrading it to W7 is easy but the truth is that I like XP too much and just don't want to upgrade it.

I gotten to like my W7 laptop a lot, when the old XP starts giving me problems, at that time, if new W7 desktops are still available, that's what I ll get. End of support for XP from MS will have nothing to do on when I ll stop using the old, easy to use and reliable XP:cool:.

Bo

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Support from Microsoft has no bearing on whether or not I will keep XP.
    I will run XP till my XP box takes a crap or I decide and can afford a newer box,
    but not until one or the other happens, not when I'm told I need to change.

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Well I'm running 2 computers with Windows 7 and 1 real old computer with Windows XP. The Dell XP computer came with a Windows Vista upgrade disk. I don't think the computers strong enough for Vista but if I have any problems with it, I'll see how much the computer bounces after I throw it out the attic window! :eek:

Going from Win XP to Vista, isn't that like going from Win 7 to Win 8 ? :p

4. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not at all. XP is really old compared to Vista, Win7/8:release years are 2001/2007/2009/2012 respectively. Windows started a new generation of OSs with Vista, as a matter of fact Vista and Win 7 are very similar. If you want to install Vista on your Dell, you need to have at least 2 GB of RAM memory otherwise the computer might slowdown considerably.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I will keep XP as long as possible, because I see no reason to "upgrade" yet. When the hardware I will buy in the future will no longer support XP or when my favourite games/apps will do the same, then it will be time to think about a new OS.

7. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I have 4 GB of RAM but a small processor. I've installed Vista on my old computer and it's working good so far. It looks like I'll not be using XP anymore. :)

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have no choice due to financial considerations. So I will plod along with XP.

9. Pandora Box

Pandora Box Registered Member

I've XP x64, Win7 x64,Win8.1 x64, Ubuntu 12.10 x64 in my harddrive.
    I love to swimming around the cyber parallel worlds. :p

I do not keep because of no choices.
    I do not keep because of prefer XP.
    I keep because of I'm making software site.
    It's obviously for me the scan these files
    for XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1 supports.

I also have a project to make supports for mac(.dmg) & linux(.deb) either
    not just "Windows (.exe, .msi)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Win-7 only on all my PC.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No. When support ends I'll be moving on to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I may let XP hang around for a month or two if I'm too busy to get to it right away, but when the opportunity is there I'll do it. Already have the disc just sitting there collecting dust.

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

After reading the other responses I realized if taking the OP literally, I will indeed continue using XP after it's EOL. As a VM to test things out and as a retro gaming console for old games & emulators... offline on an old Dell Dimension I have. But the box I'm using now has specs that can handle Win7 just fine (4 GB RAM, 2.83 ghz Core 2 Duo CPU) so I'll be upgrading it and using it for my web activities. I can even upgrade it to 8 gigs of RAM if I one day decide to go x64, so I'll have this box for quite awhile.

So in some regard XP will still be with me possibly forever. Cuz I love my retro games. But I've become convinced that having an unpatched OS facing the net isn't a good idea.

13. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

loved windows xp,but sadly have windows 8 on new desktop now

14. manmur

manmur Registered Member

My desktop is a XP machine. I mostly use it as a backup of my data.

My main machine is a windows 7 laptop.

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I just setup an older unused laptop(2005) with an unused XP Prof. license I have. Possibily out of curiousity and maybe for testing out things only.

16. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't currently use it.

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I have secured XP on 2 family laptops. These laptops are so old that they will probably die in the next 6 months (orange glow on the screen), so there is no point of doing any kind of upgrade.
    I have secured XP by installing BitDefender Safeplay on laptop 1 along with K9 Web protection and Google Chrome. This one is for banking and I think it's secure enough for the time being. Windows updates stopped working for some reason but that's okay.
    On the 2nd laptop which is only used for playing music, I have installed K9 web protection only.

19. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i use xp + linux because i like using linux and sometimes some software ran on xp so i do need windows as well using offline :)

although i have windows vista + linux combination too

but i still like xp over vista ;)

20. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I currently have two Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC's and one Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit PC. The Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC's hardware years are 2006 & 2008. I am tempted to upgrade the hardware of these two PC's, but they still have good performance.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't currently use XP. But, it is installed on a laptop which I don't use and will in time install Windows 8 on.

However, if I did still use XP, I would most definitely not stop using it due to MS dropping support. However, the reality is that I ditched XP years ago because subsequent operating systems from MS have been much better than XP in my opinion. That's not looking at them from a security stand point, but from a usability point of view, as for better or worse, security is not a consideration when I choose an OS.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Be careful when updating that to Win 8.1 if you choose to. Check if the Laptop Manufacturer provide drivers compatible with Win 8.1 I had installed Win 8. The drivers ran fine and everything was good. But when updated to 8.1, the bluetooth doesn't work and the driver is incompatible. All the drivers were compatible with Win 7. But they also supported up to Win 8. Since your laptop has Win XP I guess it would also support up to Win 7. Just my two cents.:)

23. roger_m

Lenovo does provide some Windows 8.1 drivers for my laptop, but they are for things like power management, rather than being actual device drivers for networking, video or sound, etc. However, I'm confident that any needed drivers will be available from Windows Update, or from the individual device manufacturers.

Windows 8.1 is running fine for me on a 7 1/2 year old Toshiba Qosmio laptop, and under Device Manager there are no missing drivers.

Edit: In general, unless you have a current model laptop, the manufacturer will almost certainly not provide Windows 8.1 specific drivers. This usually won't be a problem as the drivers supplied by the manufacturer are almost always outdated anyway.

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah that's great.

Good to hear that. I also have everything under the Device Manager except for of course the bluetooth. I had formatted and freshly installed Win 8 many times. Nothing ever went missing. But now in Win 8.1 bluetooth is missing.

That's what I don't get. The drivers are already outdated. Yet they worked fine and was supposed to work fine in Win 8.1 as well. But didn't happen.

Do you think formatting and freshly re-installing Win 8 and updating to Win 8.1 again would solve the prob and may restore bluetooth?

25. roger_m

There's no reason for them not to work when they are outdated. Sometimes newer versions will include bug or security fixes.

Absolutely not, you would be wasting your time. Did you try installing the generic driver I posted link to?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.