Will we wait till the 5 th version of Dr.Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

I wonder whether Dr.Web intends to launch its 5th version,at last.I remember Dr.Web having been a very popular and respectful AV a couple of years ago in Russian speaking countries,but now it seems to be fading facing other AVs.
    I am sure that Dr.Web needs releasing a new version with a new interface BADLY,so as despite the fact that Dr.Web is a VERY GOOD PRODUCT,indeed,it should be perfected from the point of view of interface,which is hopelessly obsolete and intrusions of hackers.
    I asked their support service whether they are developing some kind of a firewall to embed into their future version,but received a negative response.But firewall or elements of it have become MUST for modern AV products.All major AV manifacturers install firewalls in their comprehensive Internet Security tools. Ordinary home users want comprehensive defense.
    Please,get me right.Not all people have time and desire to dedicate their spare time to "layer" protection and so on-they have to earn their living and good AV products are meant to aid them in it.And AV developres are to adapt themselves to ordinary,not computer savvy users and in no way on the contrary.
    --

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I do hope DrWeb will never become bloatware suite. I also hope they won’t make any bigger changes to the GUI and its structure. Some minor changes to engine are needed though.

Now, where did you get information about DrWeb32 facing failure? The most current version of DrWeb is very competitive, effective and stable. Thats all we need. DrWeb never was as popular as Symantec and probably will never be. But it does provide better prefomance then Norton AV.

Good to hear this. :)

Fortunately, Symantec, McAfee, Trend to name a few will provide a good balance of security, performance and they do offer suites.

For the rest of us there are standalone products like DrWeb, NOD32, F-prot etc. ;)

tECHNODROME

3. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

If you are looking for "an all in one" AV, look here, http://www.stormbyte.com/.
    it is not as lite as DrWeb but still very light with very good detection rates and heuristics.
    Includes firewall, monitor and process manager. $29.00 usd.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you do not live in the US, see http://www.arcabit.com :)

5. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

DrWeb 5.0? It mast be fully 64 bit, I think.
    4.33 will be released in few weeks.
    Adware/Spyware detection, chm archives checks and some more improvements. :)

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Adding a firewall to an anti-virus scanner can be problematic since it will conflict with any firewall already installed on a PC. Cases in point, BitDefender and Kaspersky Personal (which includes an IDS which has to be disabled if a firewall is installed) - in both cases network access can be lost unless either the AV is reconfigured or the (already installed) firewall removed.

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Dr Web 5.0? Is that like asking for F Prot 4 ?

I think Av Engine development takes a lot of time. So i would say it won't be out for another year or 2. ( Unless they are norton why rename their version 4 to version 5 with added bloat )

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DrWeb's GUI does the job quickly & cleanly. I am NOT a fan of skins, animated icons, & other eye candy. I wouldn't expect police officers or fire fighters to dress up in cute & stylish outfits. In fact, I would be distressed if they did so. Same goes for the programs that patrol my computer -- no bells & whistles please; just shut up & do your jobs.

I also devoutly hope that DrWeb won't become a *suite* -- I like to select the components of my security myself. Also, it seems that, in designing suites, strong AVs marry up with weak firewalls, and vice versa.

As for "ordinary home users" -- it is almost always a bad thing when items are designed for the lowest common denominator. In today's schools, teaching kids about computers already is considered just as important as teaching them arithmetic. The on-coming generation KNOWS computers, & doesn't need or want systems "designed by geniuses, for execution by idiots."

9. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I couldn't have said it better........I fully agree, also with the others, who stated to leave out all frills like firewalls, spamfighters etc.
    Dr. Web is and should remain a virus fighting program and nothing more. I also bought this product because of it's simplicity!!!!

;) Putin

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thanks for the information...looking forward to seeing it.
    BTW..bellgamin....that was well stated.
    Cheers :)

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Just a slight mistake I found in that statement - Please do not take this post to be offensive.

It (Dr.Web) should not just be a virus fighting program - it should be a program to detect all kinds of malware, dont you think? ;)

I mean - if it only detected viruses, then we'd have so many Trojans, Adware, Spyware, etc. on our PCs....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not too many people have Anti-Trojan software ;)

Again, please do not take this post offensively.

Thanks,
    FC :D

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

While that's certainly an ideal situation, I very much doubt that any AV product is that capable, or is likely to be over the near future! That's why we have so many AntiSypware and AntiTrojan products to complement AVs. ;)

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Most suites have a hole somewere in one of their modules that you could drive a bus through. Be it spyware detection, spam detection, leak tests etc.
    However a system designed by geniuses for idiots would be good for a large segment of the CURRENT generation. As it is the idiots who are spreading malware all over the place with improperly protected systems. Many of the current generation do not really understand computers and are like kids playing in traffic. In order to protect OURSELVES. We need to help the current generation, many of which would not know a cookie from a virus and only want to send email. By the way those of us who are computer literate were not born with the knowlege we may now have. We were all babies or idiots in this area at one time. So lets raise the knowlege level of those around us and stop talking down to those who may be just starting out.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yep, hit that nail on the head and almost drove it throught the board and out the other side. Very good Bellgamin. Totally agree on all points ;)

15. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

For the love of god, please don't put a useless software firewall into Dr.Web.. I already uninstalled Arcavir because it has become a bit of bloatware.

Dr.Web is tiny, slick, zero system impact, and nothing I don't need gets installed with it.

EXACTLY the way I like it. Thank you.

16. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Dr. Web is working on malware detection and I'm sure it will be available pretty soon. And ofcourse it's great when AV programs start detecting malware, but only when it's detection is just as good as the virusscanning part. I'm not waiting for a good AV scanner with a half-ass malware scanner!
    At the moment I use separate programs to fight the separate malwares.

Good luck,

;) Putin

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In these days its hard to say this thingie is a trojan and that one is a spyware.
    Thats why many AVs detects adware/spyware too. Some spyware can be even more offensive than regular backdoor or trojan. Some are even a hybrid version of trojan,backdoor and spyware all-in-one. So it's kinda logical to detect all.
    Dedicated anti-spyware tools scan regsitry too,while this isn't done by AVs.
    Otherwise they do practically the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.